Minibrute vs x0xb0x

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Jaytee

Minibrute vs x0xb0x

Post by Jaytee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:01 pm

They seem very different at first, but let me point out the obvious similarities to start:

- compact analog mono synths
- single oscillator
- around $450

On the one hand, the brute has more sound-shaping options and a generally wider palette, but on the other hand people still complain/gush about how it's got a certain sound you can't get past. The x0x is more limited, but the sounds it does make are beautiful, and it's got a more capable sequencer than the brute.

I have a brute, I am halfway considering getting rid of it and getting a x0x. I don't have much interest in making acid music per se, but I do love that sound. It would serve as a general purpose monosynth along with my monotribe, supplemented by soft synths for polyphonic stuff.

Thoughts?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Minibrute vs x0xb0x

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

I would trade my x0xb0x for a minibrute in a heartbeat, I loaned my x0xb0x to someone a few years ago and never asked for it back. I wonder if they still have it?...

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

The xoxbox is not much fun for regular synth action outside acid flavoured things (it is possible but not really the point of the box). The sequencer is really cool though.
If you aren't especially into doing acid I'd look at other things or hang on to the minibrute.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:14 pm

edfunction wrote:The xoxbox is not much fun for regular synth action outside acid flavoured things (it is possible but not really the point of the box). The sequencer is really cool though.
If you aren't especially into doing acid I'd look at other things or hang on to the minibrute.
I mean, I get that it'll never be a truly general-purpose synthesizer.

Thing is, I'm finding myself playing my Monotribe way more than my minibrute, and a big part of that is the onboard sequencer. I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a more powerful sequencer and a nicer sounding synth along those lines. Something I can use in a live jam without a computer or external sequencer (or piano keys).

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

My rational side is telling me to just wait for the Volca Bass. My gear lust side is telling me to build a x0xb0x and use the money saved to justify keeping the Minibrute too.

And of course the software side of me is patiently reminding me that I had meant to buy Ableton 9 once I had the scratch.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 am

I get your situation, I'm a big fan of synths with sequencers...
I'd also look at the new bass-station, the sequencer looks pretty handy. Or look at getting a sequencer for the minibrute, Midipal is a cheap way...
Waiting for the volca is probably your best option though...

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Is the MiniBrute your first synth (just guessing)? Just stick with it and really learn it.

Neither the Volca Bass or xoxbox can cover "general purpose" monosynth duties.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounds like you should buy live and then sequence the MB with it.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Is the MiniBrute your first synth (just guessing)? Just stick with it and really learn it.

Neither the Volca Bass or xoxbox can cover "general purpose" monosynth duties.
No, I've been messing around with synths for a few years now, and the 'brute is one of several that I own/have owned. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on how the Minibrute works.

I'm not terribly concerned about getting a wide palette of sounds from my hardware synthesizers---that's what my software is for.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Sounds like you should buy live and then sequence the MB with it.
I own Live 8 Suite already. I'm sure you know that clicking notes into the piano roll is not the same as interacting with a hardware sequencer.

I want to update to Live 9 Suite so I can begin working with Max for Live; I have a few hardware controllers that would really benefit from Live-native plugins..... But that's neither here nor there.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 am

Jaytee wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Sounds like you should buy live and then sequence the MB with it.
I own Live 8 Suite already. I'm sure you know that clicking notes into the piano roll is not the same as interacting with a hardware sequencer.

I want to update to Live 9 Suite so I can begin working with Max for Live; I have a few hardware controllers that would really benefit from Live-native plugins..... But that's neither here nor there.
You don't need to use the mouse at all, just record arm a midi clip and use the MB keys to record the notes in real time. Just make sure quantisation is on at 16ths and midi overdub is off and it works exactly the same as the monotribe sequencer.

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I would trade my x0xb0x for a minibrute in a heartbeat, I loaned my x0xb0x to someone a few years ago and never asked for it back. I wonder if they still have it?...
I'll take that x0x :)

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 am

Fwiw, I traded the Brute for a sammichSID. Never looked back.