New analog Arturia synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: New analog Arturia synth?

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Cripes, I hope it's not VA...how backwards would that be?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I really can't see anyone doing a VA with no patch memory, not to mention the cost of developing something new from scratch versus making something new with surplus parts from something they already make - I doubt it's a VA

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:48 pm

bluntedcircuit wrote:I really can't see anyone doing a VA with no patch memory, not to mention the cost of developing something new from scratch versus making something new with surplus parts from something they already make - I doubt it's a VA
Using TAE for the oscillator would suggest otherwise.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Microbrute - VA, TAE Synthesis, mini keyboard (why this predilection for small keyboards?)

Apparently $299.00

I guess some people will go crazy for it... I'll pass.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Strange... on the unit itself, the text reads "MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer", but the description talks of analoge emulation.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:55 pm

It's not a VA.

This is a stripped down Minibrute with mini keys and a nice price ;)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Some text from the link above:
Better reproduction of analog oscillators
TAE® recreates the characteristics of analog oscillators in amazing detail. The transparency and clarity of our analog synthesizer emulations give the musician a freedom to be inspired by classic sounds or explore new textures with the expectation that previous limitations of digital oscillators will not interrupt the creative flow.

Better reproduction of analog filters
Filters are a major element in substractive sound synthesis. It is important to reproduce the exact characteristics of analog filters in the digital domain, as well as the individual characteristics of classics instruments that give them each their characteristic sound.

Implementation of soft clipping
Soft clipping can give the sound more punch and deeper basses, together with limiting the amplitude of the sound. It is another important point that gives analog synthesis its sound and "attitude".

TAE® oscillators are very similar to their analog counterparts for several important reasons.

One of the main reasons is that they are "free", i.e. they are not sampled or wavetable based - or generated from a 0-point when a note is played. Each waveform generated dynamically, allowing the waveform to be in constant adaptation regarding sampling "cutting" and quantization, avoiding one of the major "tell-tale" signs of digital waveform generation and provides a certain level of "liveness" found in the classic analog synthesizers of the past.

Standard digital synthesizers produce aliasing in high frequencies, and also when using Pulse Width Modulation or Frequency Modulation. TAE® allows the production of oscillators that are totally aliasing-free in all contexts (PWM, FM,…), at no extra CPU cost.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Some more:
Also, all of our oscillators are highly optimized for the particular working frequency. That means that you can play with an instrument exactly as if you played a real analog synthesizer. Again, the waveforms are not presampled and or regenerated with digital perfection, allowing each note to have a life of its own.

In addition, original analog oscillators were unstable. Actually, their wave shape was always slightly different from one period to another. It is also true that due to analog hardware sensitivity, new period trigger times varied with the temperature and other environmental conditions.

TAE® allows the simulation of the oscillator's instability, helping to create warmer and fatter sound.

Original analog oscillators used condensers' unloading to produce common wave shapes (saw tooth, triangle, square). This means that wave forms were slightly curved or distorted in other ways that are considered highly desirable in a musical context. TAE® allows the reproduction of condenser's unload in order to give you the original analog sound.

Because TAE® oscillators are "free" and "alive", when you play a simple chords with raw oscillators, you don't have a digital impression of "fog" or a "blocked" sound, but you have a pleasant feeling of transparency and clarity.

PWM
With TAE®, you can even produce complex PWM sounds with unprecedented quality and, of course, free of any aliasing. It is true for all the our TAE® waveforms (square, triangle, saw…). This produces sounds which are unique on the market, because PWM is very difficult to achieve on certain waveforms like triangle or saw/ramp. We bring you new levels of reality in a virtual analog synthesizer, so that you can achieve new levels of creativity in your music.

bluntedcircuit

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Ha that link with the tae s**t also lists the price as ZERO and clearly shows a picture of a vst ui.
That link is garbage

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't see the appeal in micro keys, or stripped down version of a MiniBrute. Definitely pass.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Looks like the sub osc also does a fifth if I'm reading that right
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:44 am

Lol at people who think its VA. :lol:

Looks cool, I like the direction they're heading with the patch points on the top rather than the back. Will be interested when they make a two osc semi-modular version, already have a minibrute.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Lol at people who think its VA. :lol:

Looks cool, I like the direction they're heading with the patch points on the top rather than the back. Will be interested when they make a two osc semi-modular version, already have a minibrute.
Yeah more companies need to put cv jacks front and center (or to the right in this case) where you can easily access them (moog, I'm looking at you)
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

bluntedcircuit

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:01 am

Ha the price is at that perfect point that I can probably drop enough hints that my gf might get it for xmas :D