Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
DemianMusic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator
Band: DEMIAN
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by DemianMusic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 am

I actually enjoyed the documentary for the most part...but my god these scenes with money mark were just horrible. That wasn't music. Or even remotely musical.
Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 am

DemianMusic wrote:That wasn't music. Or even remotely musical.
Image

Yes it is.

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Cumulus wrote:
When did it become not OK to say you think someone's music sucks?
al gore proclaimed it in '96 henceforth. where were you?

really, though
:idea: just as you've every right to blather into our computer screen, we've every right to point out when you're leaking poop from yer craw :idea:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 am

Cumulus wrote:I have seen Ke$ha speak and she sometimes seems smart. Sometimes just batshit crazy...
Aren't all smart people batshit crazy? Kinda goes with the territory...

User avatar
DemianMusic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator
Band: DEMIAN
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by DemianMusic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 am

I like to consider myself fairly open minded when it comes to music, and I like some pretty eccentric stuff music wise. Maybe the Money Mark 'jam' scene had some merits that I am simply too simple minded to understand...but I think that scene makes the documentary largely inaccessible to most people. As soon as I first saw that scene I turned the volume way down and thought to myself: "s**t...can't really show this documentary to my friends now...". :/
Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator

User avatar
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by griffin avid » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I think the deep down truth is that most of "us" think highly of ourselves when it comes to synth knowledge or usage and even consider our opinions semi-expert. That could come from either ownership or time-in....invested history with such subject ===> Vintage Synths.

Therefor something weird happens when you see a moment that you think you could top.
(Man, that should be ME in that clip, I woulda, coulda...)
And that leads to the 'hate' - which might stem from deep-rooted jealousy on some level. [even if justified]
And I think that's the honest reaction. You expect everything to cater to you and that somehow you are the perfect customer/consumer/educated-target-person/worthy of being focused on.

I don't think anyone is actually marketing/courting/considering us/you as a user base.
Who sits around and goes....
"Man, I want to sell my synth to the guy that already has 5"
"Oh boy, the guy with a room full of gear is likely to buy our piece too."

I think the documentary (from the short clips I've seen) seems to be about the early years before synths caught on and not so much abut the inner workings and system of synthesis. I think even the most rude sound was probably new and unheard of then, compared to now when you've got a room full of c**p that can do that and more.

It's dated and made for people without your expert knowledge.
In the end, you will be judged by your works and not your working knowledge.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Cumulus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:43 pm

DemianMusic wrote:I like to consider myself fairly open minded when it comes to music, and I like some pretty eccentric stuff music wise. Maybe the Money Mark 'jam' scene had some merits that I am simply too simple minded to understand...but I think that scene makes the documentary largely inaccessible to most people. As soon as I first saw that scene I turned the volume way down and thought to myself: "s**t...can't really show this documentary to my friends now...". :/
Exactly. It was s**t and people are getting s**t for calling it s**t.

If that was all you knew of Money Mark, would it make you want to explore his music?
If that was all you knew about the Mini Moog would you be looking into it further?

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5179
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:... almost as embarrassing as the interview bit with Rick Wakeman making sure all the time that the wall won´t fall over.
So you missed probably the most hilarious part of any music doc ever- Bernie Worrell likening playing a MiniMoog to making love, complete with voiced sound effects. :lol:

User avatar
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am
Real name: Ms. Jackson
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer
Location: East.
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by silikon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Cumulus wrote:
DemianMusic wrote:I like to consider myself fairly open minded when it comes to music, and I like some pretty eccentric stuff music wise. Maybe the Money Mark 'jam' scene had some merits that I am simply too simple minded to understand...but I think that scene makes the documentary largely inaccessible to most people. As soon as I first saw that scene I turned the volume way down and thought to myself: "s**t...can't really show this documentary to my friends now...". :/
Exactly. It was s**t and people are getting s**t for calling it s**t.

If that was all you knew of Money Mark, would it make you want to explore his music?
If that was all you knew about the Mini Moog would you be looking into it further?
People were getting s**t for injecting their particular flavor of s**t in a thread that was prematurely hijacked with said s**t. Had nothing to do with the actual merits of Money Mark or his skills (or any erroneous Beastie Boys remark); it had everything to do with you lot clogging a thread that was someone asking about the specific technique, not to hear you blather on about some subjective leanings regarding Money Mark's apparent 'shittedness'.

Personally I don't care all that much either way about Mr. Money. I doubt that the question raised by the OP was intent on exploring the music of Money Mark.

To answer your two final questions, Yes, and Yes. Why would one believe that everything that could be said about either the MiniMoog or Senor Money could be summed up in that one clip / (somewhat painful) documentary, or inextricably link one to the other?

I suggest you create a thread "rubbish synth documentaries' and then we can all have a laugh without derailing a thread designed for no such shenanigans.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

User avatar
DemianMusic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator
Band: DEMIAN
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by DemianMusic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 pm

madtheory wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:... almost as embarrassing as the interview bit with Rick Wakeman making sure all the time that the wall won´t fall over.
So you missed probably the most hilarious part of any music doc ever- Bernie Worrell likening playing a MiniMoog to making love, complete with voiced sound effects. :lol:
That part was awesome.

Rick Wakeman and Bernie Worrell make beautiful music, that really showcases the Moog sound...much better than anything Money Mark did.

They really should have had more of Bernie Worrell's playing featured. Or maybe showcased some good musicians that feature the Moog Sound: ....The Beatles....Pink Floyd...Radiohead....Parlaiment/Funkadelic....The Dandy Warhols....Nine Inch Nails....Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'...

...coulda, woulda, shoulda....
Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 am

silikon wrote:
People were getting s**t for injecting their particular flavor of s**t in a thread that was prematurely hijacked with said s**t. Had nothing to do with the actual merits of Money Mark or his skills (or any erroneous Beastie Boys remark); it had everything to do with you lot clogging a thread that was someone asking about the specific technique, not to hear you blather on about some subjective leanings regarding Money Mark's apparent 'shittedness'.

Personally I don't care all that much either way about Mr. Money. I doubt that the question raised by the OP was intent on exploring the music of Money Mark.

To answer your two final questions, Yes, and Yes. Why would one believe that everything that could be said about either the MiniMoog or Senor Money could be summed up in that one clip / (somewhat painful) documentary, or inextricably link one to the other?

I suggest you create a thread "rubbish synth documentaries' and then we can all have a laugh without derailing a thread designed for no such shenanigans.
The question was answered in the third post. Before anyone "hijacked" it.

I never said thy should try to say everything that could be said about Money Mark or the Mini Moog in this one clip, or even the whole film. That is precisely the reason they should have found some footage that actually showed off the merits of both.

Notice I did not ask if you learned everything you could possibly learn. I asked if the clip would entice you to want to learn more. If that c**p were my intro to Mark or the Mini and it was all I ever saw I would not be impressed.

It's my opinion and I reserve the right to express it here.

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 am

DemianMusic wrote: They really should have had more of Bernie Worrell's playing featured. Or maybe showcased some good musicians that feature the Moog Sound: ....The Beatles....Pink Floyd...Radiohead....Parlaiment/Funkadelic....The Dandy Warhols....Nine Inch Nails....Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'...

...coulda, woulda, shoulda....
Yep. These days anybody can make a documentary. And everyone thinks they can do better (myself included).

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by tekkentool » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am

Cumulus wrote: Exactly. It was s**t and people are getting s**t for calling it s**t.
No you see anybody who doesn't have the thought process of a 5 year old girl probably abstains from making wide, arrogant sweeping judgements about people and their music from a short clip so they don't go around shitting all over all the other musicians in the world.

It's such a bizarre sign of insecurity to keep going around shitting all over other musicians, I f**k hate that. Money Mark is a fellow brother if the oscillator and you're all going around bitching about the guy behind his back like a bunch of little girls. You don't throw anything out for the possibility of "not being music" or being weird because if that's all you do then the view you have of music gets smaller and f**k smaller until you live in an echo chamber and your horizons will never get expanded again. You'll never do anything new and you're just gonna sit there with the same old s**t until you die still listening to what you did when you were 20.

Intellectual nobodies shitting all over successful artists is kind of boring and played out and seeing people whine endlessly over such and such artist is kind of tiring don't you think?
Cumulus wrote:If that was all you knew of Money Mark, would it make you want to explore his music?
If that was all you knew about the Mini Moog would you be looking into it further?
See that's the thing, all you know is that segment. You don't know s**t about the man or his music from that one segment so why would you ever bother making such stupid sweeping arrogant judgements without any justification to back it up?

A fully formed adult: "I didn't like that segment of the documentary"

Reactionary insecure pricks "Money mark is s**t and that wasn't music because I said so"

So the real problem here is not shitting on somebody for something or somebody evidently being s**t the issue is wearing ignorance like a badge of pride and then sarcastically whining about it later is just embarrassing to watch for most people.

I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone here (sorry cumulus) but I'm just trying to explain why soon as you want to know so badly.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am

I like how dismissing this one guy and this one trick equals never, ever wanting to hear anything different or surprising and being totally close-minded to everyone and everything.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by tekkentool » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:42 am

commodorejohn wrote:I like how dismissing this one guy and this one trick equals never, ever wanting to hear anything different or surprising and being totally close-minded to everyone and everything.
I think you are closed minded if you every refer to any possible technique for creating sound as not music.

A bunch of radio rock bands tried that on synthesizers in the first place and we just had a cringe worthy resuscitation with this rolling stone ad



REAL music has guitars guys!

Post Reply