Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:First and foremost, I miss you. :D

Paraphonic does not require divide-down. Many paraphonic synths ARE divide down... but some are not.
Each pipe is an oscillator that doesn't go through a filter... but does go through a single "amp" which is controlled by the swell pedal.
Certainly the volume of the overall sound can be controlled by adding "oscillators," but timbre is also changed by that.
Ah, you must've been playing modern organs with integrated reeds. As they would say over on Vintage Organ Explorer, what you gain in volume control, you lose in the discrete quality of pipe oscillators.
synthroom wrote:A swell pedal is just a foot actuated volume knob, not an "amp" or EG. You're totally off on this line of reasoning...
:D

To be honest, I've not noticed swell pedals when playing. They're mainly for reeds, I think?

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 am

My only experience with organs is with a circa 1876 reed organ that was my grandmothers. My understanding is it came westward on the Oregon Trail in a wagon when new. It has been 35 years since I really played it much, but it has a knee lever that controls the overall volume.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:10 pm

synthroom wrote:My only experience with organs is with a circa 1876 reed organ that was my grandmothers. My understanding is it came westward on the Oregon Trail in a wagon when new.
What a piece of history to have in the family, I wonder what happened to it.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:35 pm

I've still got it - it's in my basement. The bellows leak horribly, it is quite a workout to get enough air moving! Someday I'll look into restoring it.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm

I played one at NAMM. It sounds amazing. Also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Doty, a very gracious and nice person.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 pm

b3groover wrote:had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Doty, a very gracious and nice person.
You sure it's the same guy? :mrgreen:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 pm

NIce sounding and beautiful looking synth. I don't think I've seen a more aesthetically pleasing moog outside the Model D.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm currently watching AG's Sub Phatty vids just so I can get a decent idea of what to expect from the Sub37 as i'm not getting enough hype from the Sub37Namm vids. Damn, I'm getting very excited now, the SP is better than I realised and the 37 will far surpass it. Cheers AG.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm

It seems like a clear step up for modern moogs, in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics, sound and features. Good to see.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 am

Any plans for a sub37 video set AG? have you had your hands on one yet?

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm

alan partridge wrote:It seems like a clear step up for modern moogs, in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics, sound and features. Good to see.
It's nice to see they're moving into new territory. The tactile, hands-on design and duophonic voicing has me clearing space for one of these. Just trying to decide whether to pull the trigger early or wait for a second edition.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 pm

It's kind of weird how they have jettisoned the buttons that are used on all their prior gear with the Sub Phatty and Sub 37. I don't have any problems with those buttons on my Moogs. I kind of LIKE the feel of them actually. The way it centers your finger, and has an LED to indicate status. Though one of them on my MP201 is a little wonky.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 pm

i much prefer the moog rocker switches, since theyre much easier for me to operate in time with only a single finger

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu May 08, 2014 2:13 pm

hmmm, I'm trying not to get hyped and reading up on when this will actually arrive as I will just get depressed but I have a feeling i'm not going to see this machine for a while. I'm toying with cancelling my order. I specifically said I wanted the black tribute edition and the rep said "no worries, it's ordered". I'm not sure whether this means that I have 1 of the first 1000 and will be here in the next month or two or not. Anyway, i'm cool with waiting if that's what needs to be done and if it's really worth it.
My question I guess is: How does the Sub phatty sound? They are essentially the same right?
Who has a Sub phatty or used one? I guess, in my experience with analogues "tone" is key to me. I guess I should ask AG.
Mr Gainsay? how would you regard the sound of the Sub compared to the other modern moog's and I guess older ones too. I have no hands on experience with any moog except a two minute fiddle with a voyager and while it was cool, it didn't seem to have a real depth to the sound from the get go.
I do respect your knowledge and opinion even though it may not seem like it hehe. I suspect our views are more similar than we realise. Please shed some light on this for me, and any other people who can, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 pm

:(