Roland D110 Noise Floor

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland D110 Noise Floor

Postby c-level » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 am

Been craving D50 sounds lately but dont have the budget so I did the next best thing and replaced the battery on my junker D110 that needed changing when I bought it 5 years ago. But I plug it in to find that it has a hideous noisefloor. HIDEOUS. like -60 to -50 db and the choir patch comes in at -20. Using cleaned balanced snake and patch cables btw Just coming out the Stereo Out... Ive heard its notoriously noisy and I have plenty of other Roland noise coming in Via JX and Juno Chorus at most times, but what other troubleshooting can I do to keel the noise? Would it be less noisy running without the FX or monotimbrally out of one of the other 4 pairs of jacks?

Also wondering if the D50 is as noisy bc if it is i'll put that lust to rest...
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Re: Roland D110 Noise Floor

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

D50/550 is much quieter than D10/20/110 and MT32.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Zounds0 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 am

Yeah, they ain't quiet, but only time I've found it to be noticeable is when the various gains in the patch are set to low. If you can edit them to nearer max and it's still hideous could be your unit or some ground hum. Certainly shouldn't be a problem in a track. D50 was higher spec although the D110 was put together by the same division unlike the mt32 which was done by the more mass market consumer team.
Zounds0

Postby Rasputin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Funny, I find the Roland D50 to be one of the noisiest out there, aside from maybe the old Roland units with bad chorus like the JX8P, et al. The Roland D110 I have is fairly clean and loud -- absolutely c**p for patch quality, but fine sound quality.

Mileage may vary, of course.

I find the D50 to be so noisy it borders on unusable. I find you have to be very, very particular on the gain staging and selective on where you use it in a song. But... the patches sound fantastic.
Rasputin

Return to HELP!