Synth prices and inflation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: Synth prices and inflation

Post by synthroom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Typically, there's a rolling window of when the price of a old synth will hit bottom and then it may come back up, depending on desireability and rareity. In the mid-late 80s, that window hit bottom for many analog synths. As people dumped them for new digital, the analogs hit bottom and people that were interested in getting a synth, bought them. I bought a Jupiter-8 for $350 and a Arp 2600 for $400 back about 1988. Prices were low for a few years, and then they started back up. We all know that a JP-8 can now sell for more dollar-wise then when they were new.

It's interesting how trends go like this - I bought an EMax II sampler a couple years ago for $300 and it seems like they people are often asking twice that much now. It seems like the bottom of the curve has been reached for it, perhaps as the older E-mu gear has climbed up higher than it was several years ago, it also is pushing up the newer gear by the same manufacturer. People want something E-mu, but they can afford Emulator I or IIs, so the demand for the Emaxes starts to climbto follow the prices the older gear gets...

Interestingly, not all big synths have made it back to what the original selling price was. JP-8s have, Prophet-5s can, but things like OB-8s are still at about half of what they originally sold for.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 pm

synthroom wrote: I bought a Jupiter-8 for $350 and a Arp 2600 for $400 back about 1988. Prices were low for a few years, and then they started back up.
That's true , back in 1994 we went to a shop and found some analogs there , i remember asking for a Moog Prodigy and its price back then was 500€. Also remember that in the shop amongst all the 'c**p early 90's' synths was a Jupiter 8 partly cemented IN THE WALL inside the shop, with lights still on :( didn't realized the idiocy of that action at that time though...

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:05 am

Wow - cemented into the wall! If it's still there, it probably is worth restoring!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

synthartist69
Gear: Roland Jupiter 8
Roland Jupiter 6
Roland Jupiter 4
Alesis Andromeda
Alesis Ion
Yamaha P155
Roland JV1000
Roland TR8
Linn Drum LM2
Alesis SR18
Band: A Buck Twenty-Five

Post by synthartist69 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

Here is my theory. I think that prices continue to climb for several reasons. One of the biggest contributing factors I think is YOUTUBE. Many players like to show off their vintage gear on Youtube. They buy a vintage synth show it off, then they move on to another vintage synth. Well, they want to recoup their Ebay fees to sell, and their shipping fees for when they bought it. So they normally try to sell it for a little more than what they paid. This has been going on for some time now. The other thing is that when owning some of these synths, repair costs are pricey. When they resell the synth they want to get their money back from repairs so that gets added into the asking price. Another factor is that many of these synths were used on a lot of hits back the day so players want to experience playing the same gear that their heroes played on back then.

One thing I don't understand is how people were able to buy these synths new in the late 70's and early 80's? A 1978 Roland Jupiter 8 was like $2,800. That was a lot of dough back then, about like 10k or 12k now. A jupiter 8 was 5,400.00. An Oberheim OBXa was like 5,200.00 or so. And, a lot of these were sold back then. But who was doing the buying????

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

$2,800 in 1978= 10,500 now.

Also, the fact is, as people *realize* that the synths are getting rarer (dying, parted out, etc) means people think operational ones are worth more... so even *documenting things like the Juno 106 chip problem* is pushing up their prices.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 am

I don't think Youtube is a problem. Forums like this are though. We talk about things with love and passion and lurkers see that when googling for particular synth.
It can happen with me sometimes, I have no interest in a certain synth but I read tons of praise on here and it gets me thinking "hmmm, maybe I do need this synth" I start looking it up, watching demo's etc. 9 times out of 10, the youtube vids put me off again as half the time the players are only taking the synths to generic cliche places of past musical glories, and then I realise that this is the reason why people on forums like this talk with such passion about certain synths, because they sound just like their favourite song, patch, player, whatever.

I can tame my GAS like this, many cannot, especially people new to analogue gear. All they hear is analogue this, analogue that, from articles, magazines, forums etc and they want a piece. I imagine half of these people buying into the hype are disappointed by what they have bought as it won't do what they want and they sell on and try and make a little profit along the way.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but since it's already been zombified; I scoped out this website that gives you a worth calculator for the U.S. dollar. If you spent $1500 on a piece of gear in 2010, that's the equivalent of spending only $1,150 -$1,350 in 2003! Looks a lot like tb-303 prices from both of those years! So immediately you've got to ask: how much is the gear actually going up, and how much of it is actually just the purchasing power of your money going down? :?

This is the website: http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare ... evalue.php
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 pm

ninja6485 wrote:So immediately you've got to ask: how much is the gear actually going up, and how much of it is actually just the purchasing power of your money going down? :?
Exactly, that was the point of the thread :thumbright:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 pm

I felt the point needed to be stated again, especially after the previous two posts. Plus, now you have the link :idea:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am

synthroom wrote:Typically, there's a rolling window of when the price of a old synth will hit bottom and then it may come back up, depending on desireability and rareity. In the mid-late 80s, that window hit bottom for many analog synths. As people dumped them for new digital, the analogs hit bottom and people that were interested in getting a synth, bought them. I bought a Jupiter-8 for $350 and a Arp 2600 for $400 back about 1988.
I'm so pissed that I missed those "glory days." Back then, I was wanking away on my guitar, wishing I could play like Yngwie. :lol:

But seriously, we'll never see prices on vintage analog gear deflate like that again; at least I doubt it. And with each passing day, there are fewer of these vintage beauties in existence. :cry:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 am

ninja6485 wrote:I felt the point needed to be stated again, especially after the previous two posts. Plus, now you have the link :idea:
Yeah, that's why I quoted it again as well - no harm intended. And you stated it as open question, whereas in my OP I framed it as direct thesis.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 am

and then there are Oberheims. Expensive as h**l then, and now. Used or new.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:48 am

calaverasgrande wrote:and then there are Oberheims. Expensive as h**l then, and now. Used or new.
Other than the OB-X, 2-Voice, and 4-Voice they are real bargains now I would say...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Ashe37 wrote:$2,800 in 1978= 10,500 now.

Also, the fact is, as people *realize* that the synths are getting rarer (dying, parted out, etc) means people think operational ones are worth more... so even *documenting things like the Juno 106 chip problem* is pushing up their prices.
Yes but Juno 106 is still not rare tons about still possible to find cheap ones today with the chip issue now solved.
yamoto773

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I bought a fully functioning "time capsule" juno 106 off ebay 5 years ago for $500. Now the average asking price is $700-1200...these people are insane. The 106 is a prime example of synth inflation. There are plenty others that have virtually doubled in price in the last 5 years, at least on ebay. There's a growing demand for vintage synthesizers, but because supply is obviously limited, we're bound to see price hikes. Hopefully this analog revival will slow things down a little with NEW analog that's affordable and can compete with old gear.