anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Re: anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Post by Nistegmos » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:43 pm

I like the MrRay73 VSTi . I'm not sure which hardware it emulates, but I recognize the sound it's pretty good. It really brings home the amazing low cost of VSTi's, especially since it's discontinued freeware! It sounds totally pro on it's own.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Nistegmos wrote:I like the MrRay73 VSTi . I'm not sure which hardware it emulates, but I recognize the sound it's pretty good. It really brings home the amazing low cost of VSTi's, especially since it's discontinued freeware! It sounds totally pro on it's own.
It emulates a Rhodes Stage 73 (as seen with Mr. Ray himself here.) It's not as good as the real thing, but the price is certainly right!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

haj

Post by haj » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm

can't afford real ones (space/money), compromise to Korg SV-1. I basically like the sound and keybed (tremolo is meh tho).

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:19 pm

it's not the cost, I really don't have that much invested in vintage keys. I search craigslist for bargains and projects, and sometimes I'll find stuff I can fix & sell for a profit. the real problem is space, I don't have a dedicated room to set everything up.

the thing I worry about is people playing emulations of wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ without ever having played the real thing. I hear a clavinet on a movie soundtrack and it sounds so bad it just irritates the h**l out of me.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:22 pm

My first electric piano was a Hohner Combo Pianet purchased new in 1972 at a Hollywood, California music store. I got the Pianet mainly because I was a big fan of the dual keyboardist British Prog band Rare Bird that featured it heavily played by David "Viv Savage" Kaffinetti. I have since replaced the old Combo Pianet with one I found on CL a few years ago. I also have a Pianet N that someone was going to throw away. Pianets are rarely simulated in modern gear.

Several years later in the Supertramp era I got a Wurlitzer 200A which I loved. Such a classic sound and great keyboard action. Wish I would have kept it now.

Being a big Doors fan I got into combo organs and bought a Vox Super Continental organ in the early 80's. Then I got a Gibson G101 organ of which I now have two. I also have four Vox Continentals, two American V301H models, and two Italian V301E models. In addition I have a gray Farfisa Compact. Several modern keyboards model the Vox and Farfisa but the Gibson has never been done other than by a guy in Los Angeles who sells samples in various formats.

In the 90's I found a 1967 RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord in a New Jersey music store. This is the rare blue and black tolex model. You rarely find a simulation of this on any modern keyboard.

My most recent acquisition is an absolutely mint condition 1973 Fender Rhodes Piano Bass. Not a single tear in the original tolex, no hairline cracks in the keys, has the shiniest silver sparkle top I have ever seen and even the warranty card was included. The Piano Bass is another instrument that is rarely simulated. I know the Hammond SK series has a sample.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

mini700
Gear: Minikorg700, Polysix, Korg CX-3, Hohner Pianet T, JD-800, Bassstation, 808, 707 ..

Post by mini700 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 pm

My stage set-up for the past few years: A Hohner Pianet T and an original Korg CX-3.
I love the Rhodes, but I can't afford one, nor do I have space for it. But one day ... surely ...

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:34 am

I've got a rhodes Mk V and a red farfisa compact. The multi tone booster on the Farfisa is crazy.

FreshTrooperXBL

Post by FreshTrooperXBL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:08 am

I have 3 combo organs and a few pianos of sorts.

The three organs are a grey Farfisa Compact (I need to fix it tho) with the single set of black bass keys, a Montgomery Wards GWW8919, and a kind of rare / "no pictures of it exist on the internet yet" Viscount Mk. I dual combo organ. I had my tech fix the last two since I knew the Farf was ungodly expensive to fix and is also timely for me to look at. The Viscount is a unique one since it has a synth section with piano/clav/spinet sounds, which makes it a super light wavetable-like synth (kind of haha). The synth side is actually fairly editable between the 9 buttons and 4 sliders it gives you and the combination of those 3 sounds as the "oscillator waveforms". The bass section is a switchable 8 or 16 foot with just less than a full two octaves of keys (it has a separate output on the rear). It has a spring reverb tank built inside (mine is set really quiet at the moment since I like to adjust my reverb pedals). The Wards is really kinda weak most of the time since it is voiced entirely on 4 foots tabs. It does have its moments when you play sounds in the lower register that sound thick since you hear the germanium fuzzy transistors and the divide-down tech in full use. I'm taking the Viscount out for my "mystery band" that I joined two weeks ago. I'll probably set up mikes and record our end result for historical purposes.

My few pianos of sorts: a Yamaha CP-30, a Hohner Pianet T, a NovaLine 88P, and quite possibly a Kimball EK61 very soon. The CP-30 is the worst of the heavy weights. I forgot to mention the Viscount is heavy, but the CP-30 just freakin takes the cake for weight ...I was done going up the stairs of my apartment with that shizz the first time! The Pianet T like others have said on here and on Gearslutz is a secret weapon for Rhodes sounds in a live context. In recording you want a real good emulation or the real deal, but its handy to just pick it up and go. The NovaLine 88P seems to be real rare, I bought it a keyboard repair shop in northern LA (forgot the name tho). The 88P is something like 82 keys, keys which are wooden btw (synth weighted tho). It has a very good analog piano sound, with the highest keys sounding darned near the "twinkly" keys of a piano. I was testing a Roland RD-900NX and noticed an electronic piano patch inside that was very close to the 88P all across the keys. I'm testing the Kimball out by the end of next week. I've read that it has "Rhodes-like" patches, but that's the same talk I heard with the CP-30 ...we shall see I guess.

Craigslist is our friend!

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 am

FreshTrooperXBL wrote: The CP-30 is the worst of the heavy weights.
I had a CP-35 for awhile, so I know what you mean. nice action, and reliable/low maintenance, like every other Yamaha product I've ever owned. but also the heaviest keyboard ever (heavier even than the Baldwin Electropiano I once had) and uninspiring to play compared to a Rhodes or Wurly.

I like Pianets, but I don't think of them as a substitute since they were used on a lot of hit records before the Rhodes was in common use.

FreshTrooperXBL

Post by FreshTrooperXBL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:07 am

yorgatron wrote: I like Pianets, but I don't think of them as a substitute since they were used on a lot of hit records before the Rhodes was in common use.
You're right, the N is definitely pre-Rhodes, but the T was clearly designed to cut corners and arrive at the Rhodes sound. I read the T came out in the 1981 or something ...so it never saw use on records. Certainly the early Pianets had heavy use: the Stranglers, Roxy Music, and the Zombies all used it on hits. I'd like to try those CP-35's, they sound just interesting with the phaser and FM-ish sounds.

mootbooxle
Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73, Wurly 206,
Dotcom Modular, ARP Odyssey, Roland SH-3, Yamaha DX7 and DX100, Nord Lead 2X, Sassmann Harpsichord, Roland JV-1080, Etc
Band: Moot Booxlé

Post by mootbooxle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 am

Glad to see someone else with a Wurlitzer 206 (yorgatron)! Once I had a whole lab (207 + 14 206's)! Sold them all to a guy who chopped them and modded them to more or less turn them into 200A's. I won't mention any names lest someone know who it is, heh. Anyway I got one of the modded 206's as part of the deal. A very reliable and durable keyboard in my experience with it over the past 12 years.
Got my first Rhodes as a gift from my uncle in 1999...It was a late-70s Suitcase 73 (Mk1 style) that needed MAJOR TLC and didn't have the amp, just the top part, so the active preamp was useless. A couple years later I bought a MINT Stage 73 (another late-70s Mark I) for (wait for it....................) $60 (!!!!!) at an auction.
Had the Suitcase overhauled in 2002, and used it on a stand with an outboard Suitcase power supply (and a spare pedal a friend had) for a while, until I had the bright idea to combine both into one amazing Franken-Rhodes.
I switched the chassis so I now had a Suitcase Rhodes with Stage legs, and I switched out a few of the better sounding tone bars from the Stage, and that's the one I still use, just keeping the Stage for parts.

Still haven't managed to get my hands on a Clavinet, but that's definitely something that'd be nice. Just using some good samples for now, re-amping it through a guitar amp and Crybaby wah for extra funk :)

Good thread!