Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am

skunk3 wrote:I have never owned a V-Synth personally,.
And therein lies the problem. While it does have a great user interface, it's actually awkward if you're not familiar with it. It needs time. When you give it that time, you find it's actually a very flexible VA and pretty much unlimited as a sample mangler. I think the only thing that could out do it there is the Kyma.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:25 am

madtheory wrote:it's actually a very flexible VA
Bingo. Sure, its VA doesn't have a particular characteristic that "stands out" like Moog, ARP, Oberheim, etc. but the routing capabilities are why the V Synth's VA is so useful once you get used to the layout. Sometimes I need an "analog" sound that my real analogs just can't do. So the V gets the job done. Plus, the fact that the VA combines so well with the sample mangling ability makes it even more useful. Okay, so one drawback I found is that the filter doesn't self oscillate, but I already have 2 synths that do that. Do I really need a third?
You can't synthesize love

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Mon May 12, 2014 2:15 pm

I came across this demo on YouTube.

Some nice sounds in there, despite my love for the V-Synth having nothing to do with its analogue emulation abilities.

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 am

So, I think I missed something...

Why are v-synths no longer available? Is Roland prepping for the release of a new version?

:blink:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 14, 2014 6:19 am

SquareWave wrote:So, I think I missed something...

Why are v-synths no longer available? Is Roland prepping for the release of a new version?

No, it's because they sold really badly for whatever reason.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 am

Probably because the new is 4k, while you can get a used original or XT for around 1k? :thumbleft:

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:

No, it's because they sold really badly for whatever reason.
Yeah, that's sometimes had me scratching my head. Let's see, it was competing against things like Yamaha Motifs, Notation KS's, Microkorg (?! :) ), Dave Smith Poly Evolver, Access Viruses, and a certain Moog Voyager ... I guess there's some potential for the V-Synth being overshadowed. It does seem as though the unique appeal of the V's capabilities has been a bit delayed in it's general admiration. I for one was slightly glad of it because I could never have afforded one new, but to have ultimately picked one up at such a reasonable cost, and still find it as attractive as the first instore noodling, has been very satisfying.

That video above posted by Infrasound was very impressive. And IMO, the detractors of the V-Synth's capacity as a VA can afford to give it few listens because for my ears, that programmer Jama has covered quite a few bases very effectively.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm

It's certainly a tragedy - nothing less - if Roland stop developing this technology. If not in a dedicated keyboard, I hope they include Variphrase in their next workstation.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Can anyone share any sounds that show off the potential of the sampling, I'd love to hear what it can do to in terms of turning found sounds into instruments and textures. Also of interest is what it can do with samples of odd sounds from other synths.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:15 am

Check out Silver Facet on the Disco competition that just concluded. One of the main riffs uses a sample of a pot lid for part of the sound. I didn't do anything too crazy to the sample, but it's about all I can offer at the moment. I'm sure others here can chime in with some good sample mangling.
You can't synthesize love

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:26 am

No demos, but check this recent thread on MW, I wrote quite an extensive post about sampling: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

mpa1104 wrote:
That video above posted by Infrasound was very impressive. And IMO, the detractors of the V-Synth's capacity as a VA can afford to give it few listens because for my ears, that programmer Jama has covered quite a few bases very effectively.
if it floats your boat, fine.
but then consider that all VAs can sound "nice enough"(=bases covered) with the effects piled on...if you noticed, most of those patches are swimming in more delay and reverb than in the original recording being emulated :idea:
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 am

The distorted TB303 type line 40 second in is the V-Synth doing its VA thing:
http://music.madtheory.com/track/iguess

I've a track using the sampling on the forthcoming album. No idea when that'll be ready :)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:53 pm

madtheory wrote:The distorted TB303 type line 40 second in is the V-Synth doing its VA thing:
http://music.madtheory.com/track/iguess

I've a track using the sampling on the forthcoming album. No idea when that'll be ready :)
Excellent track Mister mad. :-D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 am