When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: When will we see a new (non-DSI) analog poly?

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 am

GuyaGuy wrote:In any case this thread has covered poly vs mono, digi vs analog, AND keys vs sequencers. We may never need another VSE thread ever again!
We still need to hit the part where someone smarmily lectures us all on how anybody who disagrees with them on any point of anything from their stylistic preferences to their whole philosophy of art "can't call themselves a real musician."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 am

commodorejohn wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:In any case this thread has covered poly vs mono, digi vs analog, AND keys vs sequencers. We may never need another VSE thread ever again!
We still need to hit the part where someone smarmily lectures us all on how anybody who disagrees with them on any point of anything from their stylistic preferences to their whole philosophy of art "can't call themselves a real musician."
then we need a mod to close it, after getting in one last dig.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 am

Assuming, of course, that the mod isn't the one doing the lecturing.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 am

Re-Member wrote:Raymond Scott was creating sequenced electronic music prior to any Moog device having a keyboard, so it's actually the other way around and we should be making generalizations about that "Keyboarding Crowd."
The young upstart Robbie Moog ruined it all with his keyboard, now there's nothing but whippersnappers all over my lawn with their keyboarding while I'm trying to rock peacefully on my porch. Leave me to splice my tape in peace you kids!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 16, 2014 2:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Re-Member wrote:Raymond Scott was creating sequenced electronic music prior to any Moog device having a keyboard, so it's actually the other way around and we should be making generalizations about that "Keyboarding Crowd."
The young upstart Robbie Moog ruined it all with his keyboard, now there's nothing but whippersnappers all over my lawn with their keyboarding while I'm trying to rock peacefully on my porch. Leave me to splice my tape in peace you kids!
is that you Delia Derbyshire?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:01 am

What!?! Speak into my ear trumpet.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 am

Is this where I bring up the advantages of digital ear trumpets vs acoustic ones?

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri May 16, 2014 6:56 am

Well, the first synthesizer had stacked keyboards. So...

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 am

Rezisehtnys wrote:Well, the first synthesizer had stacked keyboards. So...

And if yah look at that there captured motion picture, you'll see him clearly moving a volume knob BY HAND to create one of them there pad sounds. I says it once and I says it again... there ain't no real soul in that LFO/Envelope Crowd trying to automate everything with their fancy envelopes and LFOs.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri May 16, 2014 5:03 pm

besides the Theremin was the first real synth.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri May 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:Well, the first synthesizer had stacked keyboards. So...

Are there actually any legit recordings or footage of the Telharmonium?

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri May 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Ashe37 wrote:an analog poly? not from Novation. Korg , maybe... 'in the next few years'... but that's a long time in the synth world. A simpler but bigger synth from Elektron? would go contrary to their knob-tweaky- 'parameter lock' UI thing.
I would put my money on either Korg or Novation, or both, within the next two years.

Over on gearslutz :

breakmixer :
"I got sent a questionaire about the Bass Station II and asking if a Polyphonic version would be desired, would I pay more, would it need a keyboard etc etc."

Casimir's Blake :
"I predict that there will be a great deal more discussion of Novation on this board, in the near future. Intriguing questionnaire...."

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm

alan partridge wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:an analog poly? not from Novation. Korg , maybe... 'in the next few years'... but that's a long time in the synth world. A simpler but bigger synth from Elektron? would go contrary to their knob-tweaky- 'parameter lock' UI thing.
I would put my money on either Korg or Novation, or both, within the next two years.

Over on gearslutz :

breakmixer :
"I got sent a questionaire about the Bass Station II and asking if a Polyphonic version would be desired, would I pay more, would it need a keyboard etc etc."

Casimir's Blake :
"I predict that there will be a great deal more discussion of Novation on this board, in the near future. Intriguing questionnaire...."
Novation could, but.... who cares... it would another DCO-based poly which wouldn't be dramatically different from the DSI stuff this thread was looking for an alternative to in the first place.
Do you even post on vse bro?

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 pm

I disagree totally - the DSI synths and the Bass Station 2 are both decent-sounding synths, but more importantly they sound very different from each other. The more new analog polysynths the merrier, and there's plenty of interest.

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:besides the Theremin was the first real synth.
Telharmonium was 1897, Theremin was 1928. ;)