How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

How often if at all do you use your synthesizers live?

I regularly use hardware live on stage
56%
I regularly use computers live on stage
No votes
I regularly use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
11%
I very occasionally use hardware live on stage
6%
I very occasionally use computers live on stage
No votes
I very occasionally use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
3%
I never play live however record live takes at home/in the studio
16%
I never play live and sequence most/all of the time when recording at home/in the studio
7%
I never play or record live or at home. My gear is part of a nostalgic collection
1%

Total votes: 70

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

I always use hardware live.
I work with computers for a living (IT guy in broadcast) and even though I have the skills to troubleshoot any possible computer problem, I'd rather only have to worry about batteries, midi and CV/gate connections and whether I will feed balanced or unbalanced to the house.

In my recordings I freely abuse computers and plugins as much as possible. One of my favorite effects is using DAWs processing the wrong way to make stuff sound interesting, but not obviously effecty.

But live?
Give me a piece of gear with buttons and cables.

Though is kind of a pain setting up analog gear from scratch before a show sometimes.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

I haven't gigged in a long time. However, I'm 100% hardware and 99% sequenced. With all of the knob tweaking and mixing that goes on, I honestly don't have time to play anything "live." I'm very hands on, but what I'm doing is switching patterns, muting/unmuting, EQ'ing, adjusting volume/pan, FX sends, Kaoss Pad freakin', etc. :geek:

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Exclusively hardware live. I mess around with software at home, but for me tactile feel and experience is paramount, and software just doesn't feel right or inspire me most of the time.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07 pm

All hardware live, but it's all guitar gear.
I haven't played electronic stuff live.

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 pm

All the time, all 200+ pounds of it. Between an 85 pound amp, double braced X stand, mixer, and then 3-4 not light keyboards it's easily almost 250 pounds. Singers have it so easy.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 pm

It's been awhile since I've done a gig as well, but I always use hardware. I typically perform in band type situations with a singer, guitar player and sometimes additional keyboard player. My role has always been the "Vince Clark" sort of thing and I basically prepare minimal backing track versions of our songs on a sequencer, then play a lead melody on top of it. The last project I was trying to work on, I actually got myself a MIDI drum pad which I wanted to use to add a bit more stage presence to what I was doing, but the project never really took off. At the moment, I'm working on my own solo stuff which I will be doing vocals to, but since I have difficulties playing synth and singing at the same time, I'm learning to add the MIDI pad into my performance somehow. At the very least, it will look comical whacking the thing between vocals.

mootbooxle
Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73, Wurly 206,
Dotcom Modular, ARP Odyssey, Roland SH-3, Yamaha DX7 and DX100, Nord Lead 2X, Sassmann Harpsichord, Roland JV-1080, Etc
Band: Moot Booxlé

Post by mootbooxle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Very interesting to see how other guys operate!
I play keys and sing in a trio (and sometimes a duo) and part of our 'thing' is that we don't use any tracks or such trickery. I'm not on my high horse about it, as I do occasionally play solo gigs with backing tracks (but even then, it's live in the studio playing, no sequences).
Anyway in this setup I've pared it down to just Nord Lead 2x (mostly for bass) and Roland RD-700SX plus some FX. I used to bring a ton more gear, but gigging once or twice a week for a long time, I start to think "wow, do I really need this module just for TWO SONGS?"
I prefer to play all the instruments live rather than sequence or program anything (unless I'm doing chiptunes or other computery music, in which software IS the point).

Once in awhile in other live situations, such as in church, I will use my iPhone as a sound module and MIDI it to whatever ROMpler keyboard they happen to have, and that gives me "my sound" in a very portable form. Tried using my PC laptop running Cubase a few times too, and it was cool, and versatile, but more trouble than it's worth IMO.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri May 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Not too many workstation fans here apparently, but a h**l of a lot of people of all ages do find them very useful live.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 am

I like writing stuff at home and "playing" it out with serato on my laptop.
Might start jamming with a friend who plays bass though, since I don't drive I'll be limited to whatever I can fit in a duffel bag

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 am

alan partridge wrote:Not too many workstation fans here apparently, but a h**l of a lot of people of all ages do find them very useful live.
I only use my workstations for acoustic sounds, I think I might be doing it wrong. :P

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 am

I haven't played live for a longtime, but being predominantly a guitar player meant most of my hardware focus was assorted pedals and amps. One of the bands I played in had some esoteric noise making blip machines that we would set up playing a looping lfo, and kind of jam/play songs around . There were some pretty interesting (and even good in parts) noises generated, but he only synth we took on stage was the Tandy version of a Moog synth - I think it may have been a copy of the Moog Rogue, but I'm not certain.

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 pm

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:13 am

I no longer play live but the last time I did was before soft synths were invented so it was hardware all the way as far as instruments were concerned.
I did use a computer on stage for sequencing from around 1988/89 onwards, first an Amiga 500 running Dr T.'s MRS (8 tracks) then an Atari 1040 ST running Cubase (MIDI only). My gear at the time consisted of a Juno-60, DW-8000, JX-8P, TR505. The TR-505 and non-MIDI Juno were soon replaced with a multi-timbral U-110 (I can hear you scream). :roll:

The last time I played a gig worthy of that name, 10/15 years ago, I had my old Yamaha P-150 piano / MIDI controller, D50, DX7S with a Wavestation SR and Hamond XM1 in the rack - there was no sampling or sequencing whatsoever. This was the best live set-up I ever had.

When sequencing at home nowadays, I play the parts live into the sequencer and NEVER enter notes into Cubase with the mouse although I do copy and paste sections. I record drums as patterns / songs into the Roland R8 in real time, sometimes triggering sounds from the sampler. Old-fashioned, I know, but it works for me...

GC

gs

Post by gs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I suppose the question really ought to be, "do you use softsynths live, if at all?". Because if you do use software, you still need hardware to run it (your laptop), and usually a controller to control it. That's hardware. So, both softsynth/DAW users (on stage), and hardware synth users, are all using hardware. Just configured in a different way.

But yes, I get the general drift of the question. I guess for me there would have to be a plug-in with such damn good sounds that completely blow away anything available in hardware synths/ROMplers, that I would have to have it. So far, I'm finding everything I need (in good quality) in my hardware keyboards. The trade-off for slightly better sounds vs. the headache of MIDI'ing and patching together laptop, audio interface, cables, etc. is not worth it.

I don't know why, but I just click with a piece of gear that you plug into an amp, turn it on, and it's ready to play. Makes life easy.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

A SHITLOAD
bonne chance