What can a Roland JX-3P do without PG 200 programmer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Musicwerks
Gear: MaxiKorg DV800, MiniKorg 700s, MiniKorg 700, Korg Prophecy, Korg M3

What can a Roland JX-3P do without PG 200 programmer

Post by Musicwerks » Mon May 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi,

I have a hand-me-down Roland JX-3P synth...minus the PG 200 programmer.

It is really limited and nothing much can be done with it (except taking up space and producing less than wonderful preset sounds).

What other cheaper hardware can I hook it up with besides the pricey PG200 programmer to make it useful?

Thanks

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: What can a Roland JX-3P do without PG 200 programmer

Post by pflosi » Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Anything that sends sysex commands. I will not recommend the big bad B though ;)

As for your title question: everything. You don't need the programmer.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 19, 2014 2:42 pm

You don't need a programmer at all, all the synth's functions are available from the panel. It's just cumbersome, but it's all there. The PG200 is more a luxury/convenience than a necessity.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 19, 2014 2:56 pm

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mute

Post by mute » Tue May 20, 2014 12:14 am

You don't need the programmer for anything. It only takes a couple button presses to access any parameter and the legend is right there on the top right of the synth. Learn the thing - if you're just sitting on a jx-3p thinking it is really limited, you are letting a noteworthy poly go to waste.

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... amming.txt
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... resses.txt
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... -trick.txt

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 am

If you got the JX-3P has a hand-me-down (as in free), I would personally just invest in the programmer. I remember being interested in getting both myself about two years ago and prices on the programmer alone were about $300. Today, eBay has them going for $500. So the worst case scenario is that you buy the programmer, still not like how it sounds then just sell both together for a profit. Both together are getting just as expensive as a serviced Juno-106.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 20, 2014 1:19 am

I will never grasp the concept that a two-oscillator polysynth like the JX3P is less expensive than the Juno 6 and the Juno 106, which are both single-oscillator synths with less functionality.

I was never a big fan of the programing necessary for a JX without the PG-200... but it's really easy to do, and all of the functionality is there. Interface aside, the JX is a powerful polysynth that doesn't get NEARLY enough credit.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Tue May 20, 2014 1:25 am

i have one of these with the programmer, its a fairly shallow menu dive, but still a menu dive! its nice to be able to see the relative positions of all the knobs at a glance. im bothered by menu systems, so i would just buy a programmer, but $500 is ridiculous, i know modeless recently sold some JX3P i would perhaps ask them if they can sell you a controller? or get something third party, but the PG is just very nice :)

also, pulsar and planet are most definitely wonderful :p i dont mind a bit of vibraphone either !

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 20, 2014 1:32 am

intrancewetrust wrote:i have one of these with the programmer, its a fairly shallow menu dive, but still a menu dive! its nice to be able to see the relative positions of all the knobs at a glance. im bothered by menu systems, so i would just buy a programmer, but $500 is ridiculous, i know modeless recently sold some JX3P i would perhaps ask them if they can sell you a controller? or get something third party, but the PG is just very nice :)

also, pulsar and planet are most definitely wonderful :p i dont mind a bit of vibraphone either !
Seeing the position of the knobs at a glance is challenging, as they are all very small and silver... and what's more, they only reflect the changes you've currently made... one change in preset and they no longer represent the sound, and will jump to meet your knob changes. Some people don't like that sort of thing. It's one of the reasons that I stopped using the JX3P live.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Tue May 20, 2014 1:36 am

thats true, but i dont really use the presets, and at home theres no urgent need to quickly assess the positions of the knobs, i can see how this would cause problems in a live situation though, and perhaps "glance" was a poor choice of words, replace it with "squint/stare" lol :)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 am

Musicwerks wrote: [...] It is really limited and nothing much can be done with it (except taking up space and producing less than wonderful preset sounds). [...]
It´s not the synth that is limited, it´s your own imagination.

Seriously, you must be doing something wrong as the 3P is easy to use even without the programmer -- in fact, I felt bothered by the programmer when I used it and returned to the orignal way of tweaking the instrument. The PG felt a bit flimsy to operate... not exactly a solid piece of hardware, and very small it is, too.

Pass it on to someone who might be a bit more appreciative :).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

It's a fantastic synth. It's my workhorse and I use it for all of my bread and butter sounds. It can get in the Juno ballpark but it's also got its own thing going on with the second Osc and the sync/metal options.

If you want a cheap option for getting full Midi implementation out of it get the Organix mod which is about €50. That way you have full midi control over the parameters so you can use any knobby midi controller to edit it. Or look at CTRLR panels. There's one for the Organix modded 3p. It's basically a vst/au that will control it from within you DAW.

If you want a ton of extra features look at the Kiwi 3p mod. It opens the synth up massively. Turns it into a beast. This mod also has a CTRLR panel for it. Or you could use any knobby midi controller (like a bcr2000).

I have the pg200 and I NEVER use it. Ever. I use CTRLR because it's totally integrated with my workflow. I think I'll sell my pg and get the kiwi mod.

I wasn't blown away by my 3p at first, but now I find it indispensable. I prefer it to a Juno 60 or 106. Though the 60 does sound better, I find the features (and extra features via kiwi 3p) win out. If they were the same price I'd still go for a 3p. It's just sweet that it happens to be half the price.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Tue May 20, 2014 1:10 pm

There's an iPad app that can control your JX synth. Without giving them a free plug, a quick Google search will show you who ...

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Tue May 20, 2014 1:23 pm

I agree that the price of Roland PG units are ridiculous, but there's the KiwiTechnics Patch Editor, or the DTronics DT 200 clone. The big bad B isn't that bad either, the BCR 200 is quite OK.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue May 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:they only reflect the changes you've currently made... one change in preset and they no longer represent the sound, and will jump to meet your knob changes. Some people don't like that sort of thing. It's one of the reasons that I stopped using the JX3P live.
Yeah, but that's pretty much how any vintage synth with patch storage operates. The trick is to load your patch and quickly turn the knobs you plan on using before you begin playing as you would on a synth without patch storage.