#Selfie Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Re: #Selfie Synth

Post by Plumpudding » Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Yeah you know, painting with a broad brush and all that. I'll go away and let all of you guys take selfies with commodorejohn in peace.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 pm

SeventhStar wrote:
I think it is GOOD at catchiness! It caught my attention and the attention of millions of other people. And I am often bored by a lot of s**t on the Internet. Excellent casting job for the Selfie Girl part. Selfie Girl voice acting is perfect, with a "sing song" like pattern to it.

Conveys the Selfie message. Hammers it into the viewer's head. Rapid camera cuts help create a frenzied pace. The viewer can almost feel the frantic thought activity going on in the selfie girl mind (even if those thoughts don't have much meaning to anyone, other than the selfie girl herself). The synth lead and beats have multiple climaxes. Any woman will tell you that multiple climaxes are a good thing! And of course, there is that Sylenth 1 sound..

I've said this once, and I'll say it again, without the Selfie Girl, herself, and the Selfie Girl dialogue, this song would have gone unnoticed, flying under the radar.

I have found this entertaining. I've come.. I've seen.. I've selfied..
Your judging this song, I'm using the term sparingly here, by the same standards as one would judge an advertisement, because that is exactly what it is. Its something completely mindless designed solely to get stuck in someones head and to garner immediate attention. Is it a jingle without a product, or is it a product that sells itself? At best selfie is a lazy rehashing of the ideas of Warhol. To the selfie girl this isn't some sort of sophisticated act of self parody, but a fun house mirror that serves as an addition to her online monument to narcissism. Sure maybe there is some shred of intelligence here, but thats like stating that there was a shred of intelligence behind Stalinist agitprop or MKULTRA. Catchiness in this instance isn't art, its brainwashing. Most of us here aren't that old, we're just fed up with a life time of visual and aural bombardment from advertising firms.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

10 pages...I think this video already did it's job.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Fri May 30, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't think in the 90s people defended garbage like they do today. This fear of being a hater is just out of control and sad.

I don't remember anyone needlessly defending AQUA's Barbie Girl ... Which sounds like Mozart compared to most garbage today.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri May 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I don't think in the 90s people defended garbage like they do today. This fear of being a hater is just out of control and sad.

I don't remember anyone needlessly defending AQUA's Barbie Girl ... Which sounds like Mozart compared to most garbage today.
Wow, you read my mind...I was just thinking about that song after first remembering the extremely narcissistic real life barbie, look her up on youtube, she's batshit crazy. Your point about people's fear of being labeled a hater is spot on. We see the same thing in politics with one party accusing the other of being intolerant...but what's worse? Are you somehow more tolerant if you can't tolerate intolerance from others? Get my drift?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:55 pm

I can't speak for anyone else in the thread, but I certainly wasn't waging war on "hating," or anythig like that. It looked like C-John was jonesing to put his opinion up against some opposition, so I indulged him, since I happened to think I had a good case for an opposing view. There's nothing more to it than that, really. If you read the thread and you want to take sides.ang get involved, go ahead. No reason to be afraid, maybe you have something good to contribute, idn.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 pm

I'm not pointing fingers or taking sides. And I think we have all contributed enough thought and time to this thread lol. Everyone has a right to their opinion and on a forum like this they have a right to share it. What amuses me is how much members of VSE care about being right, but that's not exclusive to our little club. I'd argue that The Chainsmokers probably care less about this song then some members here, but 'sall good. I'm just happy to see some fairly deep thoughts arise from the musical equivalent of a future circus sideshow act.

Now I think I'll work on my contribution for the Disco competition so my day off isn't a complete waste.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat May 31, 2014 11:48 am

Wow. This generated 10 pages of discussion? On the other hand, I'm glad that I'm viewing this on a computer that I can't view the actual video. I'm not feeling like a masochist today. But I think I get the general point. The only reason I'm adding my $0.02 is because
Nannerfan wrote:I don't think in the 90s people defended Garbage like they do today.
Hey, I actually like some of Garbage's material. :P
You can't synthesize love

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat May 31, 2014 3:22 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I don't think in the 90s people defended garbage like they do today. This fear of being a hater is just out of control and sad.

AQUA was our ABBA.

Mindless songs about mindless activities completely lacking any grandiose pretense are far better than pretentious wankers masquerading behind their banal wheedling and calling it real 'art'. Oh, please define your 'progressiveness', 'pacing', and 'catchiness' while I fall asleep listening to your aural pablum.
:roll:

And nobody is worried about being a hater. Some folks are just tired of ceaseless whining. Just like the extremely vocal and downright fervent atheists make the rest of us moderate non-believers look like a bunch of leaky douchebags, somebody who can't get enough of their own opinion is f**k tiresome.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm

You're my very best friend, tallow :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Sat May 31, 2014 6:01 pm

Re: #Selfie
Yeah... more cultural suicide ! Woo hoo !

Swayze

Post by Swayze » Sat May 31, 2014 7:14 pm

tallowwaters wrote:And nobody is worried about being a hater.
You're right, I think I'm paranoid.

[bbvideo]http://www.youtube.com/embed/UYhZq1CaX8o?autoplay=1[/bbvideo]
tallowwaters wrote:Some folks are just tired of ceaseless whining. Just like the extremely vocal and downright fervent atheists make the rest of us moderate non-believers look like a bunch of leaky douchebags, somebody who can't get enough of their own opinion is f**k tiresome.
Hear, hear! Winston Churchill put it beautifully when he said, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Nannerfan
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8

Post by Nannerfan » Sat May 31, 2014 7:17 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Mindless songs about mindless activities completely lacking any grandiose pretense are far better than pretentious wankers masquerading behind their banal wheedling and calling it real 'art'. Oh, please define your 'progressiveness', 'pacing', and 'catchiness' while I fall asleep listening to your aural pablum.
:roll:.
I take it this is directed towards commodorejohn?

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat May 31, 2014 7:30 pm

I really don't understand why commodorejohn is being subjected to so much abuse in this thread. A breakdown in this forum's moderation?

Nannerfan
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8

Post by Nannerfan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Exactly, I'm more of a lurker here and usually just ask tech questions/issues, but I couldn't help but jump in.

Part of me still thinks this is all satire or a cruel joke.