Moog Theremini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Moog Theremini

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 29, 2014 2:19 am

No topic on this one yet so here goes.
I was ready to blow this one off until I saw the bullet points;
"With 32 built-in sounds derived from Moog's Animoog synth engine, the Theremini gives you a wide sonic palette to experiment with. From the classic '50s sci-fi sounds of the original Theremin to modern synth sounds, the Theremini is Moog's most versatile Theremin to date. "

In another thread someone had mentioned how cool it would be to see a hardware version of the animoog.
It will be interesting to see if there is any access beyond 'presets'. Hopefully we get a midi editor or some kind of ability to load animoog patches created in the IOS app.

The quantization is a pretty neat trick. I can guess there are Theremin purists that curse the ground that idea was birthed on, but for the rest of us that sounds fun.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Moog Theremini

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 am

Not just a hardware version, a modular version. With CV modulation inputs and outputs, so you could output the XY path from the Animoog, and modulate it with CVs.

The Theremini just seems to be something to make every thereminist hate moog with a passion that burns like holy fire, and doesn't really offer anything much for anyone who wants anything but 'sci-fi sounds'.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 29, 2014 12:36 pm

I always wanted an instrument that looked like the Hindenburg.

Actually I have been excited about the MIDI features, too bad it's USB only.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Thu May 29, 2014 3:17 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I always wanted an instrument that looked like the Hindenburg.
As long as it doesn't crash and burn! ;)

What was all that Hoo Ha earlier about Moog rehashing the same old stuff? This is pretty neat... I almost want one :)

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu May 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Moog is trying something new. Good for them.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Not just a hardware version, a modular version. With CV modulation inputs and outputs, so you could output the XY path from the Animoog, and modulate it with CVs.

The Theremini just seems to be something to make every thereminist hate moog with a passion that burns like holy fire, and doesn't really offer anything much for anyone who wants anything but 'sci-fi sounds'.
I don't know. The pitch quantization/scale modes means we would be able to get non-continuous pitch changes out of it. Very un-theremin sounding.
" for anyone who wants anything but 'sci-fi sounds'
I will confess the only reason I own ANY synths is to make sci-fi sounds.
I grew up on Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and a whole lot of Asimov and Bradbury.
We never did get those flying cars, laser blasters or personal robot butlers. But we did get personal communicators (some are even called android) and neat toys that sound like a flying car.

I totally agree that they should have included X/Y outs on CV. Also not clear if the midi is in or out or selectable. It would really suck if there is no way to get midi clock sync happening. Quite a few animoog patches have time based elements happening (there is a BPM setting!).

I've never cared much for theremins. They are kind of a one trick pony in my opinion.
But this one is a different beast. Even if there isn't patch editing I may endup getting one (and likely gifting it to my spoiled-a*s nephew when I get bored with it).
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu May 29, 2014 6:14 pm

I was under the impression that the Theremini sound generation was entirely software-based. But on the Moog website it says that, when pitch-correction is disabled, it uses the heterodyning oscillator. So is it essentially a traditional analog theremin with the Animoog software as an added bonus? The Moog website says that the heterodyning oscillator "controls" the pitch, so I'm wondering if that means you can actually use it as a sound source...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 29, 2014 7:37 pm

wordsdrawnigh wrote:I was under the impression that the Theremini sound generation was entirely software-based. But on the Moog website it says that, when pitch-correction is disabled, it uses the heterodyning oscillator. So is it essentially a traditional analog theremin with the Animoog software as an added bonus? The Moog website says that the heterodyning oscillator "controls" the pitch, so I'm wondering if that means you can actually use it as a sound source...
Yeah I am kind of confused there too. Maybe it is hard syncing?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm

I was going to post this, but I felt all Mooged out. Looks quite interesting and wondering what it can do patched in to some of the other Moog stuffs.
I wasn't too, too keen on the price or form factor of the earlier $345 Theremin, but this is a ...cute piece...

And I agree, it is them doing something other than a Voyager ________ Edition.
I'm actually torn between this and a mini analog delay pedal. I was noodling around and wanted to add a delay in to a sound and didn't want to run in through a rack, I just wanted something hands on, immediate and 'right there'.

On the other hand, this just seems like a cool thing to have in the studio...the equivalent of a coffee table piece ..and honestly, it isn't another keyboard/synthesizer. How many of those can you stack?

The sonic + the interface/or um..way to play it WILL add something new to your workflow.
I vote yes.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
wordsdrawnigh wrote:I was under the impression that the Theremini sound generation was entirely software-based. But on the Moog website it says that, when pitch-correction is disabled, it uses the heterodyning oscillator. So is it essentially a traditional analog theremin with the Animoog software as an added bonus? The Moog website says that the heterodyning oscillator "controls" the pitch, so I'm wondering if that means you can actually use it as a sound source...
Yeah I am kind of confused there too. Maybe it is hard syncing?
According to this review (http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/2 ... ype-review), the analog oscillator is not accessible as a sound source (at least on the prototype). Too bad...

Though I was pretty intrigued by this:
There will be a "pro" upgrade option for the Theremini. It will consist of additional CV outputs (gate CV and volume CV via some kind of breakout cable… so that the three voltages come out of a single 1/4 inch jack). As I understand, the "pro" upgrade will also offer better analog oscillator circuitry than the base model. The Pitch antenna will be longer. The Volume antenna will be bigger and very possibly a different shape. There may also be the inclusion of more customization to enhance playability beyond what is improved upon by the adding the "pro" antennas. I was told the features of the base model of the Theremini were selected based on cost. This is the reason for the Pitch CV being the only CV output.
In that case, I think I might hold out for the Pro version...

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu May 29, 2014 11:03 pm

For the theremin purists out the,,,you can turn off the pitch correction/scaling and use it like a normal the in,

I am of the opinion that more options are better then fewer.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 am

Cumulus wrote:For the theremin purists out the,,,you can turn off the pitch correction/scaling and use it like a normal the in,

I am of the opinion that more options are better then fewer.
Agreed. This looks like a great product. I always put my Theremin through Auto Tune. Kill me.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri May 30, 2014 8:48 am

meatballfulton wrote:I always wanted an instrument that looked like the Hindenburg.

Actually I have been excited about the MIDI features, too bad it's USB only.
Oh, the humanity!

rodgre
Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, JX-10, GR-700, Juno 106, Korg Polysix, Moog MG-1, Opus 3, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Pro Soloist, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Post by rodgre » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:43 pm

The heterodyning oscillator is not a sound-maker. It's the electronic circuit that makes the antennae do their thing. Sorry to disappoint!

Roger
Roland GR300, GR700, JX10, RS09, Juno106, Korg Polysix, Moog MG1, Opus3, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Pro Soloist, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 pm

rodgre wrote:The heterodyning oscillator is not a sound-maker. It's the electronic circuit that makes the antennae do their thing. Sorry to disappoint!

Roger
hence the 'heterodyne' part of that!

(former CB operator from back when you had to pass an FCC test to get a license)