Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 am

The 'Limited Edition' Sub 37 is a limited edition. they have never said that the synth itself was a limited edition.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

Ashe37 wrote:The 'Limited Edition' Sub 37 is a limited edition. they have never said that the synth itself was a limited edition.
Yes, exactly right (I thought that goes without saying.) The synth that I pre-ordered is a limited edition and that is exactly why I ordered THIS particular, limited edition model, sight unseen, because I knew this exact one is the one that I wanted. Not whatever possible "Standard" edition that may come next year, but this, Tribute Edition.

And I was just trying to give some useful updates regarding the pending release of this limited edition sub 37 as I have been doing these past couple of months, along with my excitement and reasoning for pre-ordering (which is rare for me to do) and for that, I have to catch flak for it by Bitexion? :roll:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am

F**k Bitexion ;) Stay excited for your purchase, and I will join you.

dirkmalone

Post by dirkmalone » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Here is a link to an un-boxing of the Sub 37 (by someone else).

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 am

Can't that guy wear a shirt?

I'd love this if it were my first Moog (and not to rain on anyone's parade), but I gotta say, it's not nearly as pretty as the little Phatty tribute was. Maybe because it's all grey, black, brown, and yellow. Hoping the standard edition is a little cooler.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 am

Kidney05 wrote:Can't that guy wear a shirt?

I'd love this if it were my first Moog (and not to rain on anyone's parade), but I gotta say, it's not nearly as pretty as the little Phatty tribute was. Maybe because it's all grey, black, brown, and yellow. Hoping the standard edition is a little cooler.
Agree about the shirtless guy; his armpit hair was longer than my beard! And the way he unboxed the synth... was just waiting for him to drop the thing! Truly a cringe-worthy video.

Completely disagree about the Little Phatty Tribute vs the Sub 37 Tribute. To me, it's a night and day difference. The Little Phatty looked unfinished, almost amateurish to me. Not worthy of the Moog name. The Sub 37 Tribute by contrast is finally the next evolution of a proper Moog synth; elegant, tons of controls and options, a reasonable price for all that you are getting, etc. Just my humble opinion of course...

I know it's all subjective, but it's the reason I never bought the Little Phatty, and I immediately jumped on pre-ordering the Sub 37 Tribute.

ImageImage
Last edited by genshi on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 am

I think I just don't like that it's all in the grey/black/brown scale. The LPT had those blue buttons to brighten it up.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:55 am

I think it looks way nicer than the LP !

Does anyone else think unboxing videos are kind of stupid?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 am

It makes sense when you want to know EXACTLY what it comes with and a scale size. Some stuff, like on Amazon, never has dimensions. eBay is good for that too.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 am

monolith wrote:I think it looks way nicer than the LP !

Does anyone else think unboxing videos are kind of stupid?
yes! how about a few "operating the power switch" or "calibration" videos at least?

Azurebirch

Post by Azurebirch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 am

I think I will order one. Will post the video of ordering it (excluding typing in the bank and personal details).

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 am

I imagine all the Tributes are taken for. You'll most probably get the normal silver face one like the box suggests.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

On one of the NAMM videos, didn't someone from Moog (not Amos) say that the TE was going to be produced for about a year? Which would suggest a time-limited run rather than limited numbers.

Usually when things are strictly limited by number the manufacturer makes a big point about that number, using the exclusivity as a selling point. I've not seen anything official from Moog, so it sorta smacks of limited edition cars where they're limited to a few million (or until they've used up all the old bodyshells) :lol:

There are at least eight UK retailers offering the TE for pre-order, with varying ETAs (some still saying June, others as late as early September). Thomann also still appear to be accepting orders. Now, I realise this doesn't necessarily mean that any of these sellers have been earmarked any units when they ship out, but surely if there really were only limited numbers they wouldn't all be offering it for pre-order?

(That said, according to Google there are 12 UK shops offering the MS-20 kit – 1000 worldwide wasn't it? – one of which reckons to have seven in stock :shock: )

But I'm just hoping I made the right choice with DV and they have actually been guaranteed units from the first shipment (and that by ordering in April I've not left myself in for a longer wait).

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm

That makes more sense as I can't remember a number being thrown out there. I had 1000 units in my head for some reason but they would have easily been swallowed by pre orders.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

There was someone on some forum somewhere (might've been GS), who reckoned he'd phoned Moog and someone there had told him it was limited to 1000 and had also spoken to someone at Guitar Center who'd told him they'd been allocated a paltry amount (30 or 60 or something ridiculous like that) for the entire US.

I guess the figure of 1000 could've come from there.