M audio Venom vs Roland Gaia

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

M audio Venom vs Roland Gaia

Post by corndogssg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:58 pm

so here is a synth shootouts to two white keyboards who some people would say should be shot, I will be a man and admit I own both of these "future classics" atm neither one is in my bedroom studio though.

I tried to get rid of both of these, sold the venom for 150 to a friend who I later bought it back from for 100 bucks, and I tried to give the gaia to my brother who wanted to get into synths, we both were forced to take piano lessons as kids and the only keyboard he had was one that had pretty much just piano sounds and some organs but nothing synth like, but he wanted my alesis micron as it had a travel case and was small enough to go with him on a plane, (it's ok, I have an ion, and at least my micron is in good hands)

I think I got the venom for 150 (bought it back for 100) and I know I paid 300 for the gaia about a year ago when they were selling around 450 on ebay/craigslist, both of these synths were set to sell way higher than they actually sold for after just a year of being released. I think they both went for about 600 new.

VENOM VS GAIA: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :twisted:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: M audio Venom vs Roland Gaia

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 pm

This first sentence is so poorly written, I had to take a stab at correcting it. Hopefully the new version is at least easier to read, and more intelligible. I've added notes to the original to point out parts that seemed especially problematic, condensed things a bit, and added punctuation to separate clauses and form new sentences where appropriate. There's no requirement that people have to post with correct grammar or anything, but sometimes a sentence comes along that is just begging for revision. I'm sure I've written my share of wordy sentences on here, and people have certainly corrected my horrendous spelling on more than one occasion.
corndogssg wrote:so1. here is a synth shootouts to2 two white keyboards who3 some people would say should be shot4, I will be a man and admit I own both of these "future classics" atm neither one is in my bedroom studio though.5
Here is a synth shootout between two white keyboards that some say should be shot. I will be a man and admit that, although I own both of these "future classics," neither is in my bedroom studio at the moment.

1. "So" Doesn't add anything, and needs to be capitalized.
2. A shootout "to" doesn't make any sense. "to" has been replaced with between.
3. Who is used to refer to people, not objects.
4. Why would you shoot a keyboard? Burn maybe, or perhaps Smash? This should end the sentence.
5. Wickedly long run on. Even the last clause is a run on.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

stich

Post by stich » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Well, since the selector knob on my Venom has decided to start flaking out, I'm starting to form a very dim view of it. When you go to select a preset, it can skip patterns randomly so that you have to keep going back to try and find it. I've only had the thing two years and it is very well protected indoors.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute

Post by corndogssg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 pm

yes ninja, your grammar skills are top notch, way above mine, thanks for dissing on a some one with dyslexia, and I admit, I have a 5th grade level of spelling and grammar. and my shift button on my laptops broke, so I don't feel like hitting the caps button to capitalize letters most of the time. I am lazy. or as master yoda would say, lazy you are.

and why would someone "shoot" a synth, because, IT'S A SYNTH SHOOTOUT!!! duh :roll:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 pm

corndogssg wrote:and why would someone "shoot" a synth, because, IT'S A SYNTH SHOOTOUT!!! duh
Clever!

No worries, people bust my balls all the time for spelling. Dyslexic with a broken shift key is definitely an obstacle... Good luck that! I'm sure we will all be more aware, and able to interpret what you're posting better now that we can understand a little more where you are coming from.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

corndogssg

Post by corndogssg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:44 am

lol, thanx.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 am

lol they both suck
bonne chance

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Venom's flaw is you need an editor to fully program it. Sadly, M-Audio has dropped support for it and the promised VST editor never materialized. A lame duck synth that needs computer support is a ticking time bomb. I thought it sounded great, though...especially if you like edgy, gritty sounds.

Gaia's best aspect is the UI...stupid easy to program, esp. if you are familiar with Roland analogs and earlier VAs. The shorter keyboard is a drag, as is the limited patch memory (and inability to name patches). The layering feature is the secret weapon. Rather than give you three oscillators mixed into a single filter, you get three single oscillator sounds you can layer together. Now if they had only made it multitimbral like the SH32 which it greatly resembles, but no Roland had to screw something up ;)

At this point I would only buy a Venom if I could live with the existing editor support and/or the limited tweaks to presets it allows.

If I needed a cheap VA, I would certainly look at a used Gaia.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.