Dead serious stupid noob DJ-ing question...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Re: Dead serious stupid noob DJ-ing question...

Post by gmeredith » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:11 am

Oh, so I'm a "Producer" then?? :oops:

:lol:
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:07 am

ninja6485 wrote:
gmeredith wrote:So this word "Producer" I keep hearing all the time - is that just shitspeak for someone who lifts wav files off other people's records and makes their own songs out of the bits, or do they actually write and sequence their own riffs/beats and make songs out of them?
Nowdays it means someone who owns an illegal copy of Ableton Live and has a couple of songs up on soundcloud. ;)

Fixed.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 am

ninja6485 wrote:Nowdays it means someone who owns Ableton Live and has a couple of songs up on soundcloud. ;)
As I have no need for Ableton Live (I even had to google it to see what it does), you have just shattered my dreams of becoming a producer... :cry:
GC

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 am

I so want to have a rant right now... but my meds haven't kicked in yet ;)

But I'll say one thing... Please, never confuse a DJ with a Musician or an Engineer with a Producer. If you don't know the difference, you really should stay away from anything that makes a noise :evil:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 pm

In hip-hop and electronic dance the term "producer" is defined differently than in other types of recording, that's all.

In those genres, the "producer" is whoever created the recording.

So yes, anybody with Live and a song on Soundcloud is a producer by that definition.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm

meatballfulton wrote:In hip-hop and electronic dance the term "producer" is defined differently than in other types of recording, that's all.
In my day, the studio Producer was the father figure who kept everything together and stopped the bass player kicking all kinds of c**p out of the vocalist - How times change ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:41 pm

So Broadwave, I take it you are not busily creating dance club fodder? ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:22 pm

The records probably aren't even real on the turntables, they have some kind of markers in it to control the speed of the fancy .mp3 players on their computers.

When I DJed once last summer I have to admit it was harder than I thought it was going to be taking requests and finding the video on youtube, cuing it up and muting the GD adverts. There was also this strange phenomena where my drink and mixing board kept moving around and falling off the sub cabinet until I realized it was the bass vibrating them which became more frequent with Black Eyed Pea songs then for the country western line dancing songs.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Broadwave

Post by Broadwave » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:So Broadwave, I take it you are not busily creating dance club fodder? ;)
I did all that Italo Hi-NRG stuff 20 years ago. I'm surprised how many people think EDM is something new :o

No, musically, I've matured since then ;)

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:^ZIIIING! What did he respond with?
Nothing. I was just labeled the snob and angry guy for the night.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:52 pm

adamstan wrote:Yeah, what annoys me most in modern dance music is overuse of breaks. Often, the breaks are the the longest part of a track :-/ And, when talking about "dance-pop" - it's really annoying, when you got breaks on choruses, when I feel that they should be the strongest parts of a song.
That build-break thing came in with progressive house/trance. Dance music had been doing fine without it before then. Fine in moderation, alas like most things it was overused and abused to death by people who didn't know better, and like anything overused was keenly taken up by the popular music crowd. ;)