Non-stock LinnDrum samples

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
VCO8

Non-stock LinnDrum samples

Post by VCO8 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:12 am

Does anyone know where I can download samples of the different sound sets the LinnDrum came with? (not the stock samples).

Since Electrongate doesn't have Linn samples anymore (just DMX/DX), I don't know where to go.

logix

Re: Non-stock LinnDrum samples

Post by logix » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 am

This is what it says at Electrongate's "News" page:
2014-08-26
At the request of Forat Electronics, the copyright holder of the original LinnDrum samples, I have removed the Linn samples that were previously available on this site. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you can still get programmed Linn EPROMs from Forat.
So I'd check out the Forat website, or eBay.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:57 am

logix wrote:This is what it says at Electrongate's "News" page:
2014-08-26
At the request of Forat Electronics, the copyright holder of the original LinnDrum samples, I have removed the Linn samples that were previously available on this site. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you can still get programmed Linn EPROMs from Forat.
So I'd check out the Forat website, or eBay.
Forat's website looks like it's still stuck in 1996.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Like many of their clients??

Nothing wrong with that, sometimes feel like I'm stuck in 1984...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:56 pm

VCO8 wrote:Does anyone know where I can download samples of the different sound sets the LinnDrum came with? (not the stock samples).

Since Electrongate doesn't have Linn samples anymore (just DMX/DX), I don't know where to go.

Yeah,me too.

The advantage of having multiple eproms with sounds is cool and can make it more different sounding.
Downside is that none off those old drummachines have Zif-sockets for easier replacement of Eproms.
An extractor tool is a very usefull tool to avoid bended/broken legs on your Eproms.

logix

Post by logix » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

I suppose if you're brave enough and have the technique you could desolder the existing sockets in there and replace them with ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets.
On the subject of replacement sounds, does anyone know if it's somehow possible to allow for multiple sounds to be available inside an Oberheim DMX with the aid of internal switches? Something like a circuit board with several EPROMs, and with a switch to select which one without having to exchange the EPROMs. I only have the stock sounds in my DMX and would love to have a Linn bass drum for instance (though I suppose it still won't sound exactly like a Linndrum).

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:43 pm

"Linndrum" Yahoo user group.

nuttercenter

Post by nuttercenter » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Forat wants money for 35 year old samples that have been free to download for decades?! You've got to be kidding me. What a bunch of assholes.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:49 am

nuttercenter wrote:Forat wants money for 35 year old samples that have been free to download for decades?! You've got to be kidding me. What a bunch of assholes.
Ah, another entitled person.

Forat owns the rights to Linn Electronics. If you want the original sounds, you're going to have to pay for them. Otherwise, just search for free sample packs. Charging money for intellectual property does not make one an asshole.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

logix

Post by logix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:01 am

I think he's referring to the fact that the samples were freely available for years, then all of a sudden Forat decides to charge for them.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Unless I overlooked them, I don't remember ever seeing any free downloads on Forat's site.

nuttercenter

Post by nuttercenter » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Exactly what logix said. They've been available all over the internet for decades and Forat decides to start taking down anyone who has them and starts overcharging for them. Yeah, you know, what an asshole does. Better let Prince know that Forat owns all the drum samples in his songs that use Linndrum :lol: . z, do you work for Forat or something? You certainly sound like it. Entitled?? As an Linndrum owner I'm not entitled to the samples that are a part of the machine? Why should I have to pay to reprogram my own corrupted EPROMs? I shouldn't be allowed to download the BIN files for free? Explain...you pompous a*s.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:18 pm

nuttercenter wrote:Why should I have to pay to reprogram my own corrupted EPROMs? I shouldn't be allowed to download the BIN files for free? Explain...you pompous a*s.
That's all part of owning vintage gear. I've spent thousands of dollars repairing my vintage gear and will continue to spend money on the upkeep. Because old stuff wears out and someday the same thing will happen with new gear.

I don't work for Forat, but Bruce owns the intellectual rights to Linn Electronics. If he wants to charge for samples or BIN files, that does not make him an asshole. As LinnDrum owners, WE are not entitled to the samples or BIN files since the machines have been out of warranty for quite some time.

logix

Post by logix » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:21 am

So what happens if someone has downloaded the Linndrum EPROM files from when they were actually freely/legally available? Surely Forat can't demand they erase them from their hard drives?

This would be like your best friend gave you a gift, only to demand it back 2 weeks later, threatening to report you for theft if you don't! :?
For 35 year old sample files which were freely released I find the whole thing a bit greedy from Forat's side. How much money would be in this anyway? A little goodwill towards Linndrum owners (and fans of old drum machines) would be nice. They should be flattered anyone still uses this gear.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 pm

nathanscribe wrote:"Linndrum" Yahoo user group.
Now shut up.