Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Yeah the Eps 16+ is really crunchy. Almost impossible to rig with SCSI unfortunately. It's a great sampler that everyone would like to forget I think. Wish mine would boot..

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Got my floppy boot disk yesterday, do you need a copy?

I sampled some comparisons of the ESP 16+ to the ESI-32 and the Emulator X2 Soft-sampler and the results were interesting, To my ears the Emulator X2 sounded the worst at low sample rates, as in not in a good way. ESI-32 held its own but at its lowest 12kHz was not quite trashy enough.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Chewy wrote:I mean, it'd be so easy for a big manufacturer to make a full featured new little 8 bit sampler nowadays. Imagine that: A brand new 8 bit sampler from Roland, Akai, Korg, etc. with LFOs routable to several destinations, full ADSR envelopes, a filter (preferably VCF, but I wouldn't complain if it wasn't), an intuitive, easy to use interface (maybe even knob/slider/button per function?) perhaps some effects, and modern conveniences like SD card storage...
that would be awesome

There are still some new 8 bit samplers out there, but not with all those features, and it'd be nice to see a modern one with most of the above features - a dirty, grimy, crunchy, but powerful and simple sampling beast - from a big company with decades of synth/sampler experience.
This has LONG been a dream of mine! Basically a Mirage engine with knobs and S-612/Emulator 1 start/end sample edit sliders. The WTPA is sort of filling that niche, but is monophonic and clearly much more for tweaking. I just want the most barebones features and zero menu diving (other than perhaps for patch saving).
Speaking of the ones that are out there, the Bastl Microgranny is awesome. 8 bit internal sampling via line in or built-in mic, as well as: Knobs, (AR) envelope, crusher, granular functions, sample and patch storage to SD card, ability to play notes or individual grains via MIDI, and more. They're pretty affordable, too. Really thinking about getting one
I'm also curious about these, though I haven't really come across any demos really showcasing the lo-fi side yet.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 pm

I have the same dream Sir Ruff. If I ever find the spare time, I think I could work something out using Arduino. The Microgranny looks cool, but is really not a full featured sampler. It's a little too simple for my uses.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:10 am

Ensoniq was such an awesome company. I'm sure the EPS 16+ is nice and useful, as well as the ASR-10. I really like their main interface choice(s) from the mid/late 80s, the button per section thing. I mean button (and of course, knob or slider) per function is preferred, but it's still better than near-complete menu diving of some other gear.

Right though, Sir Ruff? It'd be great

And yeah, I agree about the Microgranny, that's why I haven't gotten one yet. Speaking of Arduino, I've been thinking of something similar. There are a lot of resources online, and of course things like the Adafruit waveshield.

I was actually taking Electrical Engineering classes in the fall (1st semester of college), but the s**t was very hard and draining for me. I didn't do too well, and as a result am on "academic probation" and have a "hold" on my account. I need to get all this ridiculous stuff done just to get the hold removed and hopefully register for spring classes (which started today... the hold prevents me from signing up for courses). Needless to say, definitely been thinking I'm gonna take classes for a different major

Still interested in electronics though, so it kinda sucks. May try to get a soldering iron some day and build a waveshield, toy around with it and Arduino, etc.

EDIT: Heh, really VSE? Just noticed it now censors stuff even when you're logged in

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Just to be clear on the S900/950 low pass filters - they are actually really quite unusual for a synth/sampler in that they are not digital nor conventional voltage or digitally controlled analog filters but in fact clocked switched-capacitor filters.

The cutoff frequency is determined by the frequency of a clock pulse fed into each switched-capacitor IC.

Some background on the theory is here:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/applicati ... /an40f.pdf

This technique has been used for many years now in highly integrated audio systems such as tone controls in TVs and portable devices as it scales down very well to chip level but has been experimented with in modular gear for example:

http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=lmf100

The MF6CN switched capacitor filters in the S900/950 are a stock part and was in manufacture till pretty recently:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/mf6.pdf

phineus_ii

Post by phineus_ii » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 am

lol, I think the s900/s950 low pass filter has been the biggest human debate in the history of man kind!

for me, I always had it down as an analog filter (just by the way it sounds) then I read some one thought it was digital... then there's the whole thing about on the face of the unit it says 'VCF'

but yeah thanks for clearing that up Hideaway! very interesting filter indeed!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:30 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:The MF6CN switched capacitor filters in the S900/950 are a stock part and was in manufacture till pretty recently:
Same design in the S-612. I've actually figured out how to bypass it (but have yet ti implement it!)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Chewy wrote:...I didn't do too well, and as a result am on "academic probation" and have a "hold" on my account.
ImageSorry. It had to be done.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:44 am

ninja6485 wrote:
Chewy wrote:...I didn't do too well, and as a result am on "academic probation" and have a "hold" on my account.
ImageSorry. It had to be done.
Haha! When I re-read my post before seeing yours, I had a similar image in my head

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you can solder, the WTPA2 is the ultimate lo-fi sampler at the moment.

http://blog.narrat1ve.com/wtpa2/
From what I can tell, the WTPA2 won't transpose sounds across a keyboard as you play live. Is that correct?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:00 am

grenert wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:If you can solder, the WTPA2 is the ultimate lo-fi sampler at the moment.

http://blog.narrat1ve.com/wtpa2/
From what I can tell, the WTPA2 won't transpose sounds across a keyboard as you play live. Is that correct?
No it's not, WTPA2 will transpose from a midi keyboard, it's stated very clearly in the manual.

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: No it's not, WTPA2 will transpose from a midi keyboard, it's stated very clearly in the manual.
:oops:
Happy to be corrected! I did look at the manual, but did not see that earlier. Great to hear!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:55 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but the s2000 has both an option to lower the quality of the samples coming in in the sampling section, but also a resampling feature in the sample edit menu. The resample feature allows you to manually enter a desired sample rate, as well as adjust the quality of the conversion via a scale from 1 to 10. I did a demo of some of them for another thread with a/b comparisons, and it gets pretty damn grungy! It also has the Akai timestretch feature, which you can use to stretch it up/down and back again to get some of that characteristic lo fi grunge in your projects.

If I were to compare it to the other samplers I've used, You have machine one one end in terms of the most modern/transparent, the s5000/e6400 ultra below that, the ESI4000 just below them (not by much), then the s2000, followed by the s1000, and then finally the mirage. What's nice about the s2000's level of clarity vs. Character, is that you can sample things pitched up a few octaves, and then transpose them back down and you get clearly discernable yet very lo fi samples! So while it might not be the magic 8bit fairy dust the mirage is for destroying sounds in a pleasing way; it does have a number of great tools for getting a lo fi effect, the character it lends to the samples is a very pleasing/classic sound, and it retains a lot more usability when you aren't going for lo fi sample mangling! As a final note, nock on wood but they're really solid, well built machines. My mirage, s5000, and s1000 all have some kind of problems, and my Emu's work, but some buttons can double trigger occasionally, or they just show a little more of their age. If you can get an s2000 for under $100, I think it's definitly worth it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks Ninja... On one hand this should be obvious, but it's great to hear it spelled out, especially on something as completely vanilla as the S2000! Do you have any examples of the S2000 doin' the dirty? I think the resampling feature would be key, much moreso than bit-rate. I used to do the transpose up, resample, and then pitch back down trick with Windows Sound Recorder. Get's nasty quick. Not always in a musical or pleasant way, but one way to get that effect nonetheless.

I just bought an EPS-16 which can also resample, so I'll be testing how grungy this thing can get too.