ELKA ressurected!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: ELKA ressurected!

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:56 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Rokk wrote: WHAT IS THAT???
Hmm...sounds like a Casio organ preset coming out of a toy synthex-shaped box.
Nothing beats *real* synthesiser programming skills.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 pm

antilles wrote: What's wrong with Elka stringers? The Rhapsody sounds pretty great to me.
Yes I think that's a beautiful-sounding stringer.
Last edited by alan partridge on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:15 pm

So...was there any ELKA news from NAMM? Haven't really heard anything.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:49 pm

antilles wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:The Elka I remember was crappy analog e-pianos and string machines in the late 1970s.
What's wrong with Elka stringers? The Rhapsody sounds pretty great to me.
I've always been a Mellotron man myself...blame King Crimson :help: String synths always sounded thin and shrill to me, although at least you could hold a note for more than 7 seconds :?

My cousin played bass in a band during the late 70s that had an Elka string machine, total cheese whiz to my ears and his. It had a "piano" setting which was even more awful, as most analog electronic pianos were. They only used it because they got it really cheap, sort of a recurring theme with small time bands ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Each to his own ;) I think it sounds nicer than some full polysynths - very lush sound, for me.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Stringers can sound lovely or terrible depending on how they're treated. Play it like it's a Mellotron and yeah, it's going to disappoint, but build up some nice keyboard-spanning mega-chords and maybe add a touch of phaser, and they can be stunningly beautiful.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
Rokk wrote: WHAT IS THAT???

Stephen
lol guys, it's just video fakery.

here's a couple more:
- large casio vl1
- mini OBXa
super lol's at the mini jd800 & jupiter
-
-

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 pm

mute wrote: here's a couple more:
- large casio vl1
Those were great! I wish they had played "Da, Da, Da" on the Maxi-VL-1, it would have sounded so much better with more and larger keys!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 pm

mute wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Stephen
lol guys, it's just video fakery.

here's a couple more:
- large casio vl1
- mini OBXa
super lol's at the mini jd800 & jupiter
-
-
:lol: The large Casio vl1 is genius... I would actually buy a jd800 mini :? :oops:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 am

It'll be interesting to see what these new owners do. I've got a GEM S2 Turbo, which was designed by Elka as a follow up to the Synthex, but the rights got sold to GEM when Elka went down the pan.

The S2 is a very underrated synth, great feeling keybed with Poly AT, and superb digital filters that still sound better than many of the latest VAs... it's just a cow to program though!

A modern reissue of the Rhapsody 610 would be nice, but probably very expensive if they go down the analogue route.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:15 pm

alan partridge wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Hm...well, the Synthex was a one-off project, Elka just bought into the idea of a single guy and realised his polysynth dream. Then slammed the Elka logo on it. They were an organ manufacturer, not a polysynth giant..and the Synthex kind of bombed too, being released just as the new digital era arrived.

And ironically that synth is the only thing people know them for now. Everyone knows the Synthex is "the laserharp sound" and not much else even though Jarre used it for all kinds of sounds on Rendez-vous.
At the same time they managed some kind of integration with the sound of their instruments. The Synthex has got tones in common with their other dco and later digital instruments, and their string synths. I think manafacturers often brought in new technology from outside, and then engineered adaptations to their sound. The EK44 sounds much more like the typical Elka sound than the DX7, for instance.
Interesting comments both. I recently had the privilege (and it was) of noodling about on an X705 ("Space Organ") and I had a ball. Between the monosynth sounds (and the fair amount of control you had over the timbre such as filter, lfo, envelope, etc), the somewhat luscious string sound, the presets, and a more than passable impersonation of a certain classic drawbar organ among other things, it made a ton of sounds that were way more than "just an organ". In fact - and yes, I appreciate this is a slightly OTT statement - the last time I played an instrument that was to all intents and purposes aimed at the home organ market, but which exceeded those capabilities by several thousand miles and provided a lot of fun, was a certain Yamaha Electone (model number GX1). No of course the Space Organ is no GX1, but I certainly felt as though Elka were seeing how far they could push the home organ spec.
Would be curious to see what they may produce, but no way would I try to second guess what it would be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.