FutureSonus Parva--an Affordable Analog Poly

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

Re: FutureSonus Parva--an Affordable Analog Poly

Post by seamonkey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Kudos to the company for providing a analog poly synth at an affordable price.
I don't see it as competition to the P6 as some have suggested, perhaps in price but not in the sound department.
I found the last video to be ho-hum, especially in the pad demos. As I listened, I felt over time I would experience ear fatigue if using it for a while.
There were moments when the cutoff was being turned back and forth, I could the richness of analog, but overall not so much.

Just my opinion and my ears only. ;)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Nils

Post by Nils » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:53 pm

The kickstarter campaign is on:

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 am

Kickstarter $999 contribution gets you a Parva shipped to you in August 2015.

An interesting new feature has been added: a USB Master port so you can connect USB-only controllers directly.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 am

meatballfulton wrote:An interesting new feature has been added: a USB Master port so you can connect USB-only controllers directly.
Nice. It's always bugged the h**l out of me that more USB MIDI equipment doesn't do that. 99% of it seems to be designed with the assumption that everybody is using a master keyboard running into a DAW controlling the hardware modules and nobody will ever want to do things differently.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:11 am

meatballfulton wrote:Kickstarter $999 contribution gets you a Parva shipped to you in August 2015.

An interesting new feature has been added: a USB Master port so you can connect USB-only controllers directly.
My wife is a big fan of Kickstarter.....
Might have to make some unsubtle hints....

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 pm

commodorejohn wrote:It's always bugged the h**l out of me that more USB MIDI equipment doesn't do that. 99% of it seems to be designed with the assumption that everybody is using a master keyboard running into a DAW controlling the hardware modules
No, the assumption is a master keyboard would have real MIDI ports, not just USB. Blame the controller mfrs for leaving out the MIDI jacks, not the synth makers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Well, yeah, there's that, but if they were going to develop an extension to the MIDI standard in the first place they ought to have done it properly.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 am

commodorejohn wrote:Well, yeah, there's that, but if they were going to develop an extension to the MIDI standard in the first place they ought to have done it properly.
MIDI Manufacturers Association seem to be pretty thorough.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am

Here is the document describing class compliant MIDI over USB. Here's the punchline, one of the authors was from Roland :shock:

Fortramnasdaq

Post by Fortramnasdaq » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 pm

I can't think of another recent analogue/hybrid Polysynth that has eight or more part multi-timbrality and doesn't cost at least £3500 (I'm looking at you, 002).

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:02 am

I don't know...looks like they used Bootstrap for their website...

Fortramnasdaq

Post by Fortramnasdaq » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:19 am

My crazy idea so far is to sell my keyboards (prophet 12 and 08), buy a DSI Pro 2 and a Parva, and use the Pro 2 or my QY to sequence the Parva for nice, easily portable live analogue performances.

This is, of course, if the Parva turns out well, which I'm sure it will. I'm trying not to count my chickens though.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has had any experience with the Parva yet. Video demos have trickled out over the past two years and I am still liking what I hear, although I would like to hear alot more. I am mostly liking the character it exhibits, with a separate DCO clock per voice, 16 mod-matrix slots and especially the easily saturated MS20-inspired filters. The other forum threads following its progress seem to indicate as of OS version 0.62 from about three months back, that it has matured into a complete and reliable product for a good price. MPE support and USB hosting make it a standout among its competition, as evidenced by several Linnstrument controlled demos.

Website says next shipment for pre-orders is in late June, so I assume the longer delays from late last year have been overcome. I still want to hear more usage of the 2 pole filters, faster attack of the envelopes and filter modulation by Osc3. No osc crossmod is not a deal breaker, by any means. I might just end up getting one used though.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.