I've stumbled upon some synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
harperzoid

I've stumbled upon some synths

Post by harperzoid » Thu May 21, 2015 4:04 pm

So I know nothing about Synths but yesterday I bought several. Some work, some dont.

I bought....

Roland Juno 60 (working)
Roland SH2000 (working)
Solina String Ensemble (will not turn on)
Korg Micro Preset (works apart from the synth 1/synth 2 selectors)
Moog Rogue (not sure if it works but has no power supply)

I suppose what I need to know is...

1. Where is the best/cheapest place to get a (US) power supply for the Moog.
2. The Solina? Apparently this was working and then would just not turn on. Any ideas what this could be?
3. The synth selections on the Korg? Is this likely to be a contact issue.

I know I sound like an idiot, but the daftest questions are the ones we dont ask.

Any help appreciated.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Re: I've stumbled upon some synths

Post by JayEm » Thu May 21, 2015 4:12 pm

well first things first, where did you stumble on these?
w00t

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 21, 2015 4:17 pm

The solina is a 1970s instrument, if it hasnt been fully serviced recently it could be all sorts of things like faulty capacitators blowing their lid off, old brittle solder points that came loose during transport. These old synths are finicky beasts to maintain.

harperzoid

Post by harperzoid » Thu May 21, 2015 4:27 pm

I work in a record shop and some man had some for sale so I bought them.

Quite cheap as well.

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Thu May 21, 2015 4:38 pm

You don't sound daft at all. In fact, I can tell you're probably a person of great intelligence and style. It's too bad that you're burdened with those crappy old synths. They don't even have built-in digital effects or supersaws. Gah! Now, here's what I'm gonna do for you because you seem like a nice person. Just send me your address and I'll drop by and take them off your hands. I'll give you a crisp $100 bill each for the two old and limited Rolands that are still working. And I'll toss in another $20 for the pile of broken ones.

If for some reason you decide against my generous offer :lol: then here's some free advice:

Solina: Unplug it, then open it up and check to see if a fuse is blown. Look for loose wires or burnt/damaged/corroded components on the circuit boards. Press each of the wiring connectors to ensure that they're fully seated. If everything checks out ok, then go a step further and disconnect and reconnect all of the wire connectors. Be very careful and make sure the synth is uplugged the entire time that you have it open.

Micro Preset: Unplug it, open it up, carefully spray Caig Deoxit into the non-functioning switch. Place a paper towel around the switch to prevent the Deoxit from getting onto other components. It's ok if some gets on other parts of the circuit board, but there's no point in letting large amounts of it get all over the place. Move the switch back and forth several times, plug the synth back in and test. If this works, you'll probably want to add some fader grease to the switch (unplog the synth first) since the Deoxit will eventually dry out.

Rogue: When you say "no power supply", do you mean there's no power cord or that the internal power supply has been removed? This might best be left to a qualified synth tech. You could also try the General subforum on the Moog forum for advice.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu May 21, 2015 5:18 pm

harperzoid wrote:
I suppose what I need to know is...

1. Where is the best/cheapest place to get a (US) power supply for the Moog.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-ROGUE-TAUR ... 2589ec8a52
2. The Solina? Apparently this was working and then would just not turn on. Any ideas what this could be?
I'd have the electrolytic capacitors replaced right away whether or not that is the issue with it not powering on. I use local techs to do such work on my synths
3. The synth selections on the Korg? Is this likely to be a contact issue.
Most likely. Try spraying some electronic contact cleaner and wiggle the selectors around. If no success, you can open it up and clean contacts with alcohol rubs. Or let a tech work on it.

Here's a thread you can check out to try to find a tech in your area: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =24&t=4290
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

harperzoid

Post by harperzoid » Thu May 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Appreciate this. Genuinely helpful.

Ive just checked prices on these synths and im stunned at how much I payed for them :shock:

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Now you're just rubbing it in... :D ... Great score! OK, make a record!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu May 21, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm glad there are still deals to be had out there.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:48 am

Best scores you can get are generally from older people that have lost interest in the gear and have no inclination for using eBay, in fact any time you can eliminate eBay from a transaction is probably a good thing ;)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Best scores you can get are generally from older people that have lost interest in the gear and have no inclination for using eBay, in fact any time you can eliminate eBay from a transaction is probably a good thing ;)
Yeah, that's how I got a JP-6 and literally a car full of recording gear for $250 a couple years ago. It's been a while since I've seen anything like that, though. To the OP, nice haul.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)