Electric organ, drum machine, and delay fx in the 70s

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Electric organ, drum machine, and delay fx in the 70s

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Fri May 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Suicide was way way ahead of its time (and many expressed a violent dislike for their music), but this illustrates again that talent and/or creativity largely compensate for gear scarcity, and so should encourage all those (not least me) whose studio feels at times sort of on the diminutive side .... :mrgreen:

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Electric organ, drum machine, and delay fx in the 70s

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Funny how much stuff that was hated back then is now revered as being seminal to modern music. Suicide is one example, but also Lou Reed/VU, Black Sabbath, Stooges, Captain Beefheart, Eno.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I still find Suicide horribly dull musically. The singer has that "edgy 70s" look but that's about it.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri May 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Love Suicide. I remember the first time I heard 'Frankie Teardrop' I was relaxing on the sofa listening through headphones. The scream almost gave me a heart attack. Can't say that about too many groups ;)

"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Fri May 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Bitexion wrote:I still find Suicide horribly dull musically. The singer has that "edgy 70s" look but that's about it.
Of course your opinion is respectable, but they did influence (and maybe inspire) many major electronic music acts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_%28band%29

And over time their music did evolve in a bit more "polished" pieces like this one (1980, I believe):

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 22, 2015 6:37 pm

This reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I once had. She and a mate of hers were on the road late at night (she was driving a black Dodge Pickup truck at that time), right in the middle of nowhere, picking up a hitch-hiker while Suicide were blasting from the car stereo.

The hitch-hiker kindly declined and decided to wait outside in the pouring rain.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:39 am

^Classic! :lol:

The first time I "saw" Suicide was when they appeared on the Midnight Special with the Cars. An older kid I knew had a tape (cassette) of them that I had heard a bit of, but I didn't get it 'til I saw that show. Really took my head apart. I was already familiar with a few "electronic" acts of the day, but they were quite different, raw, and very stripped down, just like they had been advertised.

Mind you, I still preferred the Cramps, but I got what Suicide was up to. Alex Vega really hit in on the head when he did Juke Box Babe later on.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat May 23, 2015 12:28 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:they did influence (and maybe inspire) many major electronic music acts
They certainly were the precursor to the two-man bands that became common in the synth pop days (Yaz, Erasure, Tears for Fears, Ministry, etc., etc.) and have persisted to this day.

On the other hand, it's not like they pulled their style out of thin air...

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
KBD_TRACKER wrote:they did influence (and maybe inspire) many major electronic music acts
They certainly were the precursor to the two-man bands that became common in the synth pop days (Yaz, Erasure, Tears for Fears, Ministry, etc., etc.) and have persisted to this day.

One could also mention soft cell and the lesser known voice farm which were at the beginning also a duo.

But for sure there is definitively an aesthetic lineage with the VU.
Still, the VU was essentially a 5-8 members rock group "classically" structured around a drum-kit, guitars, etc. whereas suicide was more of a minimalistic and experimental electronic ("electro-punk ?) music duo.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:11 pm

The Velvets influenced damn near everybody ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun May 24, 2015 2:55 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:

One could also mention soft cell and the lesser known voice farm which were at the beginning also a duo.

But for sure there is definitively an aesthetic lineage with the VU.
Still, the VU was essentially a 5-8 members rock group "classically" structured around a drum-kit, guitars, etc. whereas suicide was more of a minimalistic and experimental electronic ("electro-punk ?) music duo.
Yeah there's a VU influence but also rockabilly, Stooges, lounge, etc.