Yamaha Reface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Yamaha Reface

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Bitexion wrote:I don't think they use regular sized keys anymore because the age of the progrock/hammond keyboardist is long gone. Artists more or less use keyboards to trigger arpeggiators and sequencers more than play 6 finger keyboard chops.

And the only players who do those things are well into their 50's and 60's nowadays. You don't need a 6 octave fullsized keyboard to play a 3 note arp pattern. All the manufacturers have realized this.
I think this is the dumbest thing that's ever been posted on VSE, congratulations!

Manufacturers bring out synths with mini keys because they sell really well. That's all, no other reason, they just sell really well and the companies like to make money.

coastalscrub

Post by coastalscrub » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:57 pm

It looks like there won't be knobby FM...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Bitexion wrote:I don't think they use regular sized keys anymore because the age of the progrock/hammond keyboardist is long gone. Artists more or less use keyboards to trigger arpeggiators and sequencers more than play 6 finger keyboard chops.
:shock: :o :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a surprisingly limited view considering your gear list...

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few (and not necessarily OLD) keyboard players out there that actually play LIVE with as many fingers/thumbs as they can muster... and have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "progrock/hammond" players.
Last edited by Broadwave on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:48 pm

And why do they sell well? Because the general public aren't vintage synth enthusiasts who wish everything was like it was in 1982.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Actually, I'm going to apologize, Bitexion. I think I may have taken your post the wrong way.

I seem to have read it as a rant against us keyboard players who DON'T trigger arp/samples etc. and still need a "proper" keyboard when we play live... Oooops!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Nah it was never a rant against you guys :) Just the way I see things these days, with everyone releasing those minikey keyboards. There must be a demand for them or noone would do it.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 pm

Holy f**k h**l. I think I get it: it's in the name - Reface is a docking station for a set of interchangable synth modules with their own interfaces. You can see drawbar, DX like FM ("looks familiar" note), VA.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:43 pm

The weird thing for me is the combo organ. Unless it also emulates a B3 (which the old YC series most certainly did not) I don't see any demand.

The CP, OK but how many people wanted a 37 key piano? Maybe some of the people who bought this Korg:

Well we will know in few days what is really going on.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:18 pm

coastalscrub wrote:It looks like there won't be knobby FM...
Yeah bugger, think you're right.

Why is the CS white? I'm not seeing how that makes sense, unless it's actually trying to be a GX-1. :?

This is all rather strange, but I'm glad Yamaha are actually still making synths regardless of how successful these turn out to be.

haj

Post by haj » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm already very disappointed... by the looks of the thing. except it makes drastically unique or new sound, which I think is very unlikely..

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:08 pm

My distaste for minikeys aside, I'm very confused by the DX synth. There can't be a soul out there that wants a knob-less FM synth, and no one is missing the presets of the DX7. I probably would have even set aside my prejudice against mini-keys for a knobby FM synth and gladly bought one. Furthermore didn't Yamaha ask people "what do you want", and didn't everyone say "a knobby FM synth". I swear when I scrolled through the dialogue that was the overaching theme in the responses.

Duskyfarer

Post by Duskyfarer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Solyaris wrote:There can't be a soul out there that wants a knob-less FM synth, and no one is missing the presets of the DX7.
Well, are you trying to say I have no soul or that I can't be as a whole? ;) I do miss some of the presets and I don't care for the knobs on an FM synth. I think the "subtractive" guys do need the knobs or a filter or whatever that reminds them of a subtractive synth. I don't.
Solyaris wrote:Furthermore didn't Yamaha ask people "what do you want", and didn't everyone say "a knobby FM synth".
I participated in the survey and I didn't say that. I said keep it simple and powerful like the first DX7. If Reface is indeed fully programmable and capable of all the DX sounds as a minimum, it will be like coming home to me.
Last edited by Duskyfarer on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:30 pm

a new dx7 with an esq 1 style interface, but with rotary knobs instead of softbuttons, would be amazing. being able to edit most of an envelopes parameters at once would be very interesting, as would adding a page or 2 of custom knob configurations to each patch

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:48 pm

I would of been surprised if Yam did scaled down keys. I don't think they ever put out a synth with actual mini sized keys, have they? Not counting their porta-synth line. They do have mini-keys but they are pads or buttons not piano keys. I really like their staggered button mini-key layouts similar to real piano keys, and their extra functionalities, as opposed to ones that are straight or in a row of buttons or a 4x4 grid etc.. Strangely, I don't like min-key piano keyboards and I don't even play them really, I use them mostly for sequencing and programming more so than arping or playing like a piano. I just don't like mini-key keyboards for any logical reason if they are supposed to be on a professional looking/feeling piece of kit. I don't mind them at all on toys or starter synths. They are like a sad compromise between button mini-keys and full keys. I don't know, anyhow, I''m not not too excited about ReFace. I guess I'm just glad to see Yamaha trying something sort of new in the syth arena. They have really harped on their historical stuff lately since it is a milestone anniversary and all this year for them. This thing, Reface, falls in the same line of thinking, however it would be nice if they could start looking in a forward direction again with developing non-workstation hardware based synths and sequencers.
Last edited by Zamise on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

salwa

Post by salwa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Zamise wrote:I don't think they ever put out a synth with actual mini sized keys, have they?
Yes, DX 100.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl