Looking to finally incorporate a laptop

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
basic303

Looking to finally incorporate a laptop

Post by basic303 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:24 pm

I finally bought a decent MacBook and am looking to incorporate it in to my studio, I have a bunch of old synths and drum machines and stuff and this is how I'm looking to use it.

In the studio I would be using it mainly as just a sequencer for the gear, with very little if any sounds actually coming from the computer. But I want to be able to record good quality sounds in to it so that when I play live I can just bring the laptop and a couple rackmount synths. So I'm thinking I need a good midi interface for sequencing as well as a good audio interface for recording and playing live, but I don't know where to start looking for them. Any advice?

My computer is a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina
2.7 GHz i5
8GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Arsenal: Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1,Roland JX-3P, Yamaha DX7s, Doepfer Dark Energy, Multivox String Machine, Korg DDD-1, Korg M1, Roland MKS-7, 1978 Fender Precision Bass, Upright Bass

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Looking to finally incorporate a laptop

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:57 am

RME Fireface UFX/UCX depending on how many inputs and outputs you need.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:39 pm

The RME is the boss soundcard. If that's a little too pricey, I would suggest Focusrite. I've had no issues with my Scarlett 18i8. I've used it live, but mainly in the studio setting.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Another vote for Focusrite. They are available with up to 8 (mono) analog inputs. Some can be daisy chained using ADAT for even more channels.

It's also a great MIDI interface!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:08 am

+1 for the Scarlett as well. I love my 18i8 and it's easy to set up. I was skeptical of using USB for audio/MIDI connections for the longest time, but once I gave in I was glad I did.
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.