Shure M44-7 positioning

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Shure M44-7 positioning

Postby Jay200MPH » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:46 am

Figure there's a few others with vinyl setups on here. Looking for info...

I got a pair of Shure M44-7 carts for my Numark TT200s. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with Numark's cartridge positioning instructions or Shure's, which are contradicting.

Here's where I'm torn - the headshells (these ones) have a thick line in the middle for ideal placement, but the very vague Numark manual says this positioning only applies to Numark cartridges.

The Shure instructions show a 'standard DJ setup' mounting the cartridge all the way to the back of the headshell. However they also assume an S-shaped tonearm, I have the short straight ones that come standard with these decks.

I seriously doubt I'm the first one to fit M44-7s on the TT200. Trying to search around online for info on cartridge alignment only yields page after page of "audiophiles" shouting at each other and deriding anyone who dares use gear that costs less than a month's wages. Ick.

If any seasoned DJ-types around here want to chime in with some advice it would be much appreciated!
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Re: Shure M44-7 positioning

Postby madtheory » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:49 am

Use the Shure instructions. Regardless of tone arm shape the shell ends up at the same angle.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Return to Sound Production