I Can See Clearly Now

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

I Can See Clearly Now

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:37 am

I would be curious to know your opinions on what keyboard is being used for the horn parts for the 70's hit, "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash.

Virgule

Re: I Can See Clearly Now

Post by Virgule » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 am

Moog and accordeon..?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:36 pm

This has to be one of the first reggae-influenced songs to feature the Moog. Francis Monkman (of Curved air, Sky fame) programmed, played and multi-tracked
the Moog modular on this song.

The music was recorded around the spring of '72 at Air studios in London, which was owned by George Martin, and it's likely that
it was George's Moog.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:42 am

It's funny, I don't ever remember noticing that there were synths in this song.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Yay Micke, I knew you'd know this!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:44 pm

mmp wrote:It's funny, I don't ever remember noticing that there were synths in this song.
Me neither. That's some realistic imitiative synthesis! And Francis Monkman, no less.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

mono_poly
Gear: Rhodes Chroma
Korg Mono-Poly
Oberheim Matrix-6
ARP Solina string machine
Roland HPD-15 HandSonic
cheap acoustic guitar

Post by mono_poly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:49 am

Hi, first post.... I've been on an early '70's AM kick (when and where I first really started getting into music) and was thinking of this song and how much I love the synthesizer in it. This page came up in a search, so as a vintage synth lover, I had to register and comment.

Thanks to Micke for the info; I'd never known what kind of synth it is or who played it. My slightly-educated guess was an ARP Odyssey or some such owing to its "squishy" sound, but a modular Moog, which can make all kinds of noises, makes complete sense.

Just FWIW, my favorite synth parts in this song are:

1. beginning of final verse, 1:47 -- strong filter envelope decay and Q (resonance)

2. first line of final choruses, "it's gonna be a bright (bright)" -- they take the Q knob and crank it way up. Deliciously analog, not too high in the mix, just the right accent. First at 2:11-2:13, then it skips a time, then 2:25-2:29 and on into fadeout. In the context of the song (one of the happiest ever IMO) I find this incredibly addictive...

OK, looks like a fun forum, best regards!
The border between music and noise is always culturally defined... -- Jean-Jacques Nattiez
Music is love and love is music if you know what I mean -- Mac Davis

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 pm

mono_poly wrote:Hi, first post.... I've been on an early '70's AM kick (when and where I first really started getting into music) and was thinking of this song and how much I love the synthesizer in it. This page came up in a search, so as a vintage synth lover, I had to register and comment.

Thanks to Micke for the info; I'd never known what kind of synth it is or who played it. My slightly-educated guess was an ARP Odyssey or some such owing to its "squishy" sound, but a modular Moog, which can make all kinds of noises, makes complete sense.

Just FWIW, my favorite synth parts in this song are:

1. beginning of final verse, 1:47 -- strong filter envelope decay and Q (resonance)

2. first line of final choruses, "it's gonna be a bright (bright)" -- they take the Q knob and crank it way up. Deliciously analog, not too high in the mix, just the right accent. First at 2:11-2:13, then it skips a time, then 2:25-2:29 and on into fadeout. In the context of the song (one of the happiest ever IMO) I find this incredibly addictive...

OK, looks like a fun forum, best regards!
Welcome! I'm gonna go listen to the song now and see if I can pick those parts out.