Moog Mother 32 Eurorack synth voice

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moog Mother 32 Eurorack synth voice

Post by kuroichi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

A little unfair to use so much reverb, but it is still an interesting video of the features etc.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Manuals are now online. Sequences can be selected by MIDI program changes and the sequencer responds to MIDI clock and start/stop/continue. Also a mode for synching to 24ppqn clock. HPF is non resonant :oops: but resonance can be created by patching.

You can put the whole thing into a Eurorack chassis, but it will not be sold (yet) without the skiff and PS.

Moog is also selling Eurorack skiffs (but no power supply) and hardware to stack skiffs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:04 am

minime123 wrote:hmm. not impressed by the specs in that it doesn't seem to do anything new (at least from a quick look at it), but seems like a good value if you compare to what you'd need to invest in other eurorack modules to come up with the same set of features. plus, its got a cute little keyboard.
mini
Compared to other all-in-one synth voice modules, the bang for the buck on the moog is surprisingly good. It's cheaper than the Pittsburg 10.1 for instance.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 am

abruzzi wrote:Compared to other all-in-one synth voice modules, the bang for the buck on the moog is surprisingly good. It's cheaper than the Pittsburg 10.1 for instance.
+1. And in terms of feature set for the price, the Moog blows the doors off competitors like the Doepfer Dark Energy. :twisted:

I'm in!

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Haha, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought 32 meant 32-voice polyphonic. I'd love a 32-voice-polyphonic, true-analog Moog. Not even sure if that would be allowed by the laws of physics, but whatever.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:08 am

Well, due to unexpected but very fortunate circumstances, I have three of the Mother-32s on the way to me in the next couple days. I will be doing my demo videos of these over the next couple of weeks... I am very excited about this! If there are specific things anyone would like me to demo, let me know, but keep in mind, I usually do my demo's in a musical context, so no boring raw waveform demos from me...

genshi
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080

Post by genshi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 am

genshi wrote:Well, due to unexpected but very fortunate circumstances, I have three of the Mother-32s on the way to me in the next couple days. I will be doing my demo videos of these over the next couple of weeks... I am very excited about this! If there are specific things anyone would like me to demo, let me know, but keep in mind, I usually do my demo's in a musical context, so no boring raw waveform demos from me...
I'm surprised that there is more activity on the Roland Boutique thread than on the Moog Mother-32 here. To help alleviate that... I've been doing a series of videos of the Mother-32 (still waiting to have that 3-Tier Rack delivered so I can add my third Mother-32 to the setup.) These are just early days/getting to know you videos and testing out things that people have requested. Also, in the third video, I did wind up testing out the raw oscillator sound of two of the Mother-32s. Description of what's going on are on youtube. Comments and thumbs ups are greatly appreciated! :)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 am

genshi wrote:
I'm surprised that there is more activity on the Roland Boutique thread than on the Moog Mother-32 here. To help alleviate that... I've been doing a series of videos of the Mother-32 (still waiting to have that 3-Tier Rack delivered so I can add my third Mother-32 to the setup.) These are just early days/getting to know you videos and testing out things that people have requested. Also, in the third video, I did wind up testing out the raw oscillator sound of two of the Mother-32s. Description of what's going on are on youtube. Comments and thumbs ups are greatly appreciated! :)

The two Mother units together sounded huge in the last video. But what's the advantage of having this as opposed to, say, the Sub-37? Is this two-unit Mother combo really just for people who want a semi-modular experience (and who don't mind having a proper built-in keyboard)? Seems like a Sub-37 is a better deal from a bang-for-your-buck perspective. Not that that's the only reason to buy something.

But unless you're into patching, I don't see the appeal of spending $1200 on two Mothers.

Thoughts?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 am

People don't discuss this as much because it's nothing new really, IMO. Just "another monophonic moog" that they've been rehashing over the last decade. Yeah it has some patch points, but nothing much that isn't already available on their other monos. 1 VCO monos are underappreciated too.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

Bitexion wrote:Yeah it has some patch points, but nothing much that isn't already available on their other monos.
The key to the patch points, however, being that you can interface this with other patchable gear, which is something you can't do with the Phatties beyond the most basic inputs (1 each for vco, vcf, vca and gate). The Voyagers might be more flexible, but they're also a lot more expensive to start with. For the money I think this provides a decent-sounding, playable, patchable device that can be easily integrated, augmented, or tweaked entirely on its own. External MIDI keyboards are dirt cheap if you want one, it has a sequencer built in, and it's flexible enough to use as a crazy noise box. Personally, I think it seems like a different kettle of fish to Moog's more regular monosynths.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Bitexion wrote:People don't discuss this as much because it's nothing new really, IMO. Just "another monophonic moog" that they've been rehashing over the last decade. Yeah it has some patch points, but nothing much that isn't already available on their other monos. 1 VCO monos are underappreciated too.
How long will it be until they change hands for under £250 ?

The time has passed for anything new now, only new as in a new product on the market meanwhile someone will be plodding away on a £150 Yamaha CS5 and loving it.
yamoto773

genshi
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080

Post by genshi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
genshi wrote:

The two Mother units together sounded huge in the last video. But what's the advantage of having this as opposed to, say, the Sub-37? Is this two-unit Mother combo really just for people who want a semi-modular experience (and who don't mind having a proper built-in keyboard)? Seems like a Sub-37 is a better deal from a bang-for-your-buck perspective. Not that that's the only reason to buy something.

But unless you're into patching, I don't see the appeal of spending $1200 on two Mothers.

Thoughts?
Well, I actually have three, just waiting on the 3 Tier Rack to be delivered (which is unfortunately backordered now.) So for $1800 I have a compact 3 VCO Moog with 3 Sequencers and 96 CV Patch Points! I can do more with this than a Voyager for way less.

More specifically, I've been playing out live with a group of guys and gals lately on a regular basis. 9 synthesists doing 10-15 minute sets of experimental, improv soundscapes. Most of them have Eurorack modulars, but I had been lugging out my Sub 37, Korg MS-20 and Arp Odyssey (along with multiple stands, big mixer, drum machines, etc.) and that's just too much to bring out for a 15 minute set...

... and also, I've been wanting to get into Eurorack anyway, but every time I price out a basic two row, 2 VCO with 2 Sequencer system, it always winds up being $4000... so for less than half that price: 3 VCOs, 3 Sequencers, 96 CV ins/outs, MOOG! For me, it was a no brainer.

genshi
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080

Post by genshi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 am

Thought I'd post two more videos of the Mother-32 synths now that I got all three going... it'll be my last demos for awhile (I need to seriously get to work now.)

This first one is a very rough and sloppily played tribute to seb17320's excellent "Mos-Lab 15 demo" video. I wanted to see if I could pull-off something close using three Moog Mother-32s. The playing is really rough (due to attempting to play a solo on the little buttons instead of keys) the sequence is not very close to the original, and the video editing in general is cr*p (I couldn't figure out how to do Seb's 4-way split screen) but I hope everyone can appreciate the spirit that this demo was intended in! I used a touch of Valhalla VintageVerb on each part.

Seb's original video can be found here (I highly recommend watching it) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JbLiu6yDM

The second one is just another quickie demo...

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Great videos. Thanks!

Is it just me, or does the Mother 32 sound a bit juicier than the other recent Moog offerings? I have a Voyager that is sitting in the closet because it just doesn't have any character compared to my other synths, but this sounds quite different. A little sizzle and buzz with some oomph. Reminds me more of my old SE-1X (which I now regret selling after growing bored of the Voyager).

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:14 pm

"oomph" and "juicy" is mostly related to how loud the input signal is when it's recorded. You can't really tell unless you hear it on your own speakers/headphones.

A synth that is recorded slightly louder than the other will sound "warmer". A tiny bit of input distortion can also color the sound to sound "oomphier" than another synth.