Yamaha tx16w

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Post Reply
Krisb1977
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 am

Yamaha tx16w

Post by Krisb1977 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:37 pm

i cannot find to much info on this gem. Im wondering what type of ram it takes, and if anyone has modded them at all. Im interested in installing a usb drive. Any ideas?

Calgonstudio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:26 pm
Real name: Ric
Band: Client No7

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Calgonstudio » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:14 pm

madtheory is a user here he's got a page and some samples for the TX16 but there isn't a lot of love for the old girl, also might want to check out www.yamahaforums.co.uk there's some info there on the TX16

teevee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by teevee » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Krisb1977 wrote:i cannot find to much info on this gem. Im wondering what type of ram it takes, and if anyone has modded them at all. Im interested in installing a usb drive. Any ideas?
The official ram from Yamaha is called Yamaha EMM15, they are custom and contain 1,5 mb. < (Maybe PA-Docoder made clones, but don’t hang me up on it)

The price is about 50 € (on Ebay), but there are some alternatives if you are good at DIY, check links below:
http://www.sonicware.de/tx16w/tx16wmem.html
http://madtheory.com/site/muki-pakesch-tx16w-archive/ < Look under the “memory” folder.

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Rasputin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Yeah, madtheory is super horny about the TX16W :) so you should talk to him.

The memory issue is a bit tricky, but the USB drive is quite easy. I'd suggest an HxC flashed Gotek. That's how I upgraded my TX16W and it works quite well.

I also have a hardcopy of the TX16W service manual if anyone needs some info out of it. Someday maybe I'll actually scan in the whole thing.

Edit: Ha ha, just saw the date of OP... bumped by God damn robo-posts with their spammy sigs... grrrr... :evil: :pissed:

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5362
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by madtheory » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Rasputin wrote:Yeah, madtheory is super horny about the TX16W :) so you should talk to him.
Gee, um, thanks... :lol:

Puze
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Puze » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm
Yeah, madtheory is super horny about the TX16W :) so you should talk to him.

The memory issue is a bit tricky, but the USB drive is quite easy. I'd suggest an HxC flashed Gotek. That's how I upgraded my TX16W and it works quite well.

I also have a hardcopy of the TX16W service manual if anyone needs some info out of it. Someday maybe I'll actually scan in the whole thing.

Edit: Ha ha, just saw the date of OP... bumped by God damn robo-posts with their spammy sigs... grrrr... :evil: :pissed:

¿Could you please upload the service manual of the TX16W? It will help me a lot, thanks

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Rasputin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Puze wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 pm
¿Could you please upload the service manual of the TX16W?
It has a lot of pages and I don't have time at the moment to scan the entire thing properly. I want to do it someday, but the best I can offer right now is to help you troubleshoot whatever specific problem you may have, or try to answer a specific technical question.

Puze
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Puze » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 am

Well, I have an old TX16W and it has given to me without any singns of life...
When I was taking a look inside the machine I realised that all PCBs looked in mint condition except from one, the PSU unit. Then I thought the problem was with the power supply.
Main fuse was blown, and so was the main switching transistor (C3153).
Then I tried to replace the damaged parts plus two ceramic resistors bc they looked horrible, I was worried, maybe they were damaged so...

With everithing looking good I tried to Plug it up, turn on the unit and...
Main fuse blew up again and so the main transistor
I'm stucked and maybe u could help me up with the schematics of the PSU

Thanks and happy 2020!!

User avatar
The_MPC_Box
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by The_MPC_Box » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm
Puze wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 pm
¿Could you please upload the service manual of the TX16W?
It has a lot of pages and I don't have time at the moment to scan the entire thing properly. I want to do it someday, but the best I can offer right now is to help you troubleshoot whatever specific problem you may have, or try to answer a specific technical question.
This service manual is unfindable! :D
Could you please give a look for these components on your service manual?

Main board:
C106
C115
C116
C125
C126
R103
R16
R81
R84
R85
Q1

PSU Board:
L2
L3
L4
L5
L6
I1

It's a lot of stuff, don't worry if you can't give these infos. This TX16W made smoke and want to replace all those suspicious components. It still works but I'm a little scared when I turn it on eheheh seems like a Boeing taking off.
Thank you so much in advance!
Best regards from Rome
Andrea - The MPC Box
Attachments
IMG-20200817-WA0001.jpg
Akai MPC feticist :D
Samplers addicted :o

www.thempcbox.com/

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Rasputin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Give me about a week. I'm in the middle of too many projects, but this is on my "soon to release" list.

User avatar
The_MPC_Box
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by The_MPC_Box » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Thank you soon much, you're my Messiah! :D
If you can add also just pictures of the PSU schematics would be the best!
Thank you so much, again
Akai MPC feticist :D
Samplers addicted :o

www.thempcbox.com/

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:09 pm

Okay, I'm finally done.

Here's the entire Yamaha TX16W service manual booklet and the ridiculously gigantic schematics poster which was nearly impossible to scan. Given the rarity and amount of scanning hours spent, I should have put this on eBay to make a boatload of money :lol:

https://mega.nz/file/9Z8hUQAY#7pg6ixCwb ... PGOOvLUac0

User avatar
The_MPC_Box
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: Yamaha tx16w

Post by The_MPC_Box » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 pm

:shock: Wow! You saved so many lives with this post! Thank you again! :geek:
Akai MPC feticist :D
Samplers addicted :o

www.thempcbox.com/

Post Reply