How did Front Line Assembly create this sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rheingold
Gear: Access Virus A, Akai S2000, Moog Sub 37, Roland Fantom S, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Waldorf Pulse

How did Front Line Assembly create this sound?

Post by Rheingold » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi all, I’m new to this forum and a non-native English speaker, so please be kind! The following question is plaguing me: How did Front Line Assembly create the synth line in the song “Modus Operandi” on their “Hard Wired” album? If you listen to it on the Youtube link down below, you’ll hear it starting around 0:16, ending about 0:32.

It’s probably heavily filtered (band pass?), some kind of arpeggio or a sequence with delay, and I really have no clue what the basic sound is. Any hints on how to reproduce such a sound would be great. I have an Virus A and a Blofeld, they should be flexible enough for most sounds. The Pulse and the Juno 106 I own are probably not helpful here.

Any help appreciated!

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: How did Front Line Assembly create this sound?

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Not sure what they used, but between the Virus and the Blofeld, I think it should be easy enough for you to recreate.
Bassist, synth junkie

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:34 am

It's a little sequence that could be created on many synths. It's hard to know with FLA because they had a ton of gear, but most of it in that era was put together with the unassuming AKAI S-20 sampler. They layered several bass patches from their Pro One and MiniMoog to create their massive basslines, but I don't know about shorter riffs like that one. Seems to me it could easily have come from the Pro One.

But yes, you should be able to create that same short-decay percussive type sound with either your blofeld or Virus. I would even say it might be possible on the 106, but what do I know.

I used to listen to FLA all the time. I think Hard Wired may have been one of my favorites back in the 90's.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:31 am

It remind me FM on the filter.

Don't know if you can do that on the Virus, but you need to modulate the cutoff from the output of an oscillator (audio, not a LFO).

Or maybe try a normal sound with a strong phaser effect...
Last edited by Push-Pull on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:32 am

>Virus A
Yeah, you can pull that bass off easily with a virus A.
Sounds like a 2 oct arpeggio, going up, virus arp pattern 52 at 1/16 going with slight hf sweeps, with high resonance on it also

Try creating a Saw/PWM as your main sound

I was able to recreate it using the init patch. I fattened it up a bit to make it sound more oomph with using EQ and a little chorus.

For the sweep I used the TI's built in phaser. Set it so you can turn it off in patch, you hear it later without a phaser on and you can switch filter types too. But you can record it and play it back like they did too...

Best of luck.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:08 am

I think I can hear a touch of moving "vocal"/formant (multiband) filter on that arp.
Worth a try (well, if it's not a HUGE aftereffect of the phaser).

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Rheingold
Gear: Access Virus A, Akai S2000, Moog Sub 37, Roland Fantom S, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Waldorf Pulse

Post by Rheingold » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:23 pm

These are some fantastic hints! Especially the idea of recording it and playing it backwards! Can't wait for some time next weekend to try it out! Keep it going, if there are some other ideas!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 am

Didn't FLA have an Oberheim Four Voice/Eight Voice in their rig? The SEM is really good at those bandpass/notch-type filter things.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Rheingold

Post by Rheingold » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks, PPG, this was a really good hint. Yesterday I listened to various youtube vids on the Oberheim SEM. It has those high-pass, band-pass and band-reject filter options which sound a lot like the synth line on Hard Wired. And today I found this littel excerpt of a keyboard magazine interview with Front Line Assembly:

"Bill: The nightmare story, though, was with the OB-Mx.

Rhys: Oh, man. Check this out. We used it for most of our bass sounds on Hard Wired...

Bill: ...and we'd finished programming all the songs.

Rhys: I was reading the manual to find out how to do a sys-ex dump I wanted to save all my patches. Turns out the manual was wrong, and I ended up wiping out the whole memory. I phoned the company and said, "I just did what the manual said." and they were like, "Oh yeah, the manual's wrong."

Bill: We'd been tweaking bass sounds for three months, and the day before we're ready to go into the big studio this happens. We're sitting there in a room together staring at each other. All our bass sounds are gone."

Oooh, thats a bingo!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:47 pm

HPF sweep and a control delay effect is my guess.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, D-550, S2000, Model D, MODX6;
Out: MOXF6, DeepMind 12
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:18 pm

or a simple flanger with strong feedback... Seriously, noone thought about it?

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 am

Funny side note: I was in the car yesterday with a friend of mine that knows Bill from FLA and we were listening to this album. And he asked him once what synth he used to create a particular sound and Bill's answer was "All of them."

But what ever was used used to create that sound was probably processed by some effect pedal or rack out possibly another synth. Virus and Blofeld should be able to get you close enough though
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:24 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:or a simple flanger with strong feedback... Seriously, noone thought about it?
Was my first impression also. I have this CD. I need to pull it out & relive 8-)
Makin' Noises

stickman393

Post by stickman393 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:34 am

Definitely sounds like a formant filter, to me.