Korg MS-20 or Maxikorg 800DV?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Korg MS-20 or Maxikorg 800DV?

Post by Yekuku » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:01 pm

I need to make a decision and I dont want to regret it for the rest of my life.
If you had to choose one of these , which one would it be ? Please explain why.
thanks
It is all about sharing...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Korg MS-20 or Maxikorg 800DV?

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:37 pm

800dv is certainly more unique, but less flexible. Depends if you want to patch and slowly build sounds (ms20), or use something quirky and huge sounding.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:32 pm

I'd get the Maxikorg because I can always pick up an MS20 now that Korg is making the mini.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you both for your replies.
I have an MS20 and a friend offered me a trade with his Maxikorg.
If I was asked this question 5 years ago, I would have gone with the MS20 , thats for sure.
I love my Ms20 but as meatballfulton pointed out , i can get the mini anytime I want.
I have never seen or played a maxikorg but I hear everybody talking about its sound and its musicality.
A huge drawback for me is the limited modulation capability and the limited I/O.
Does the maxikorg really sound so good or is it another vintage hype ?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:53 pm

The maxikorg really does sound like a bizarre beast. It's just massive. It's the sort of sound that I don't think will ever be replicated by new analog. I should probably make a demo at some point.

You are right though, it lacks many things to get really wild with the sound in a traditional sense. Modulation is scarce. You have to think about it at a different angle, and use the repeat functions creatively, along with things like the ring mod.

I'd trade as well and get a mini.

sunnypedaal

Post by sunnypedaal » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 am

if you want to play and know your way on a keyboard: go for the maxikorg, quick to change sound, bigger sweetspot, very nice sounds
if you have a modular system or like to fiddle with knobs, make sequences , just a little echo, carnival/disco sounds sharp, extreme, go for the ms20
it's a bit like a volkswagen cabrio or a vw kever...
best is to get both
the ms20 is more easy to find, prices for the 800dv will rise more
"FILTER MAINTENANCE- After every 100 hours of operation apply a sine wave to the output of the FILTER to back flush the trapped overtones to unclog your filter." - (EML 101 Manual)

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Yekuku wrote:I need to make a decision and I dont want to regret it for the rest of my life.
If you had to choose one of these , which one would it be ? Please explain why.
thanks
I had a Maxi-Korg back in the early 80s. It is a great sounding synth. Although, as others have mentioned, it is rather limited in what it can do.

This synth was produced in the 70s. What are you going to do when something dies on it? Are you willing to pay huge dollars for a repair job (if parts can even be found for it)?

sunnypedaal

Post by sunnypedaal » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:01 pm

true,
luckily they are very discrete build, so that makes it much easier for the experts to be repaired. like moogs, old rolands etc. these synths seem to keep good value, so why not give it a try and see if you fall in love with it
2+2 osc very nice sounding rm, dual path, duophone with different combinations .
overall the sound is so much warmer
and with it's peculiar way of tweaking , b.e. "the slider down effect", it always suprising
the ms20 is in fact much more common, with it's advantages, also great for learning how to edit sounds, the 800dv has lots of "ways around". for me the 800dv is the more instrument
tastes different probably
"FILTER MAINTENANCE- After every 100 hours of operation apply a sine wave to the output of the FILTER to back flush the trapped overtones to unclog your filter." - (EML 101 Manual)

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:34 pm

sunnypedaal wrote:true, luckily they are very discrete build, so that makes it much easier for the experts to be repaired.
That's true. However, expert repair = $$$

With the new equipment available nowadays, I personally don't see the need for spending big money on old, often unreliable and expensive vintage gear. That's just my opinion.

As I mentioned, I owned a Maxi-Korg back in the day. Someone is selling one now on Craigslist (Chicago) for $1500 (http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/5457746049.html). I've seen them on Ebay with asking prices of over 2 grand. Personally, I think that's waaaaay more than it's worth, but again, that's just my opinion. I would perhaps pay $400-500 for one for the sake of nostalgia, because I had one in the days of my youth. To each his own.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Also keep in mind, you can get "the" sound from a 700s, which is cheaper and more common.

sunnypedaal

Post by sunnypedaal » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Have had 2 700's before, they aren 800euro almost nowadays and way below the 800dv regarding possibilities
All analog discrete synths are expensive nowadays, and with reason
( Even with the new release of "modern, non reparable ,mini-derivates with more then reasonable sound" nowadays )

Some people spend it on a car, other enjoy playing a synth, rather then looking at it
Although it looks great too

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Perhaps, but the one thing the 700s has over the 800dv is LFO to Filter modulation.

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:09 pm

thank you all for your input , I deeply appreciate it;)
Jabberwalky wrote:Also keep in mind, you can get "the" sound from a 700s, which is cheaper and more common.
Hmm... thanks for this, I have not think of it.

My main interest in synthesizers is making experimental sounds, I am not looking for that "'classic" vintage sound. Obviously , modulation is the key for experimentation which unfortunately the 800DV lacks.
What intrigues me is the early Korg design, the oscillator sound and dual traveler filter. I like Oakley's Journeyman a lot , and the idea of having 2 of these looks fascinating, although the scaled resonance control and the lack of an external input is heartbreaking.
Concerning the unreliability issues, I believe that these early Korg's are the most reliable synths of that era. In case of repair , most of them use common off-the-shelf components that can be easily found today.
Interestingly inside the 800DV there are these early KEIO ICs , which are not actually ICs (?), but part of the circuit in a small black box(?). Are they filled with epoxy? Any insights ? Do they fail?

sunnypedaal

Post by sunnypedaal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:05 am

Afcourse the dv800 has modulationpossibilities: lfo, repeat etc
The ic's are simple discrete filled little prints, nothing fancy, nor epoxied
Wonder where the info came from??
Two osc's, two sawsubosc's two forms if ringmod, two times hpf+lpf, 2 voices parellel , serial , with seperate repeat, 2 seperate vibrato, two seperate glide etc.
and they do have 2 ext in's , on the back , it's by the vcf-din input of the upper and lower voicestange, even stereoprocessing...

how do they call it in english: bread of monkey stories or so ?
Last edited by sunnypedaal on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:17 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Also keep in mind, you can get "the" sound from a 700s, which is cheaper and more common.
According to the C Y Kong mod page, the 800dv is actually more like two Korg 770's. The Minikorg 700 and 700S have a little bit older generation circuit design, and I think they sound more "vintage" than the later models.
Yekuku wrote:I am not looking for that "'classic" vintage sound. Obviously , modulation is the key for experimentation which unfortunately the 800DV lacks. What intrigues me is the early Korg design, the oscillator sound and dual traveler filter.
My take on this is if the tone inspires you and you can quickly get the knack of the controls, then it would be worth it. If you'd much rather focus on the synth producing merely one element in a complex mix, then those sonic characteristics that make vintage charming are just going to get buried and go unnoticed.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.