fs1r - any tips for instant gratification?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

fs1r - any tips for instant gratification?

Post by tom Cadillac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:42 am

I'm using my fs1r for ambient style music at the moment and working quickly so I can get stuff finished to post on soundcloud. I'm into modifying the factory patches as much as I can and using the 8 knob options with good results often. I was using an emu audity 2000 and got some good instant results through moving the curser to filter select and then changing filter as I played. I wonder if anyone had similar successes with the fs1r - just ways to get some instant results and modify the sound in realtime. Wish I had the time and patience to dive into the fs1r more.- maybe there's a good source of interesting patches I could download? Anyway, any ideas about how to get more out of it quick would be appreciated.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: fs1r - any tips for instant gratification?

Post by Zamise » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 pm

I haven't used mine a whole lot yet, but have noticed for once that using a software editor will help make tweaking parms a lot more immediately accessible, as far as instant gratification goes I'm not so sure those words should be near fs1r.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 pm

I've been using mine like you are using yours for years, I mean tweaking and modifying the factory patches with the 8 knobs, and been happy with that until I started editing my own sounds using the free software, and that really changed a lot about my "experience" with the FS1R, from a certain point of view it's more "visceral" (maybe because it's actually me making the sounds) and "sprinkled" with the astonishment of some happy incidents ;) , but I cannot say that I feel some instant gratification, actually the process of editing your own sounds on the FS1R is rather tedious even with the editor...

Lately I'm using the arpeggiator of my V Synth to pilot some FS1R sounds and yes, in this case I feel some instant gratification, expecially when I start tweaking with the FS1R knobs :D

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for the replies - I don't even own a computer at the moment (I'm using my work computer) - but maybe one day I'll get one and use it for fs1r editing - and yeah my question is probably hopeless - . Last night I just dived into the menus rather randomly and got an extraordinary result - a strange musical patch that reminded me of birds on alpha centauri. (You can listen to the stuff I'v been making on soundcloud if you like). Maybe the frustratingly impossible interface just drives one to random experimentation and that is part of the fs1r experience?
Is their any other stuff I can do using the V Synth as a controller? I used to use a wavestation and the joystick would morph between the 4 sounds in a performance patch - maybe i could use the time pad in the same way?
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:00 pm

tom Cadillac wrote: Maybe the frustratingly impossible interface just drives one to random experimentation and that is part of the fs1r experience?
Definitely yes :) ...actually I do not find that hard uderstanding FM synthesis, and I have to say that using the free editor really helped me much in understanding the logic behind FM and what's happening when you change some parameters, but when you exit the "basics" and enter the hundreds and hundreds of parameters and possibilities that are at very heart of every FM synths and of the FS1R particularly, well that's where really is impossible for me to predict what sound I will obtain, in some ways I get lost not in the interface but in the too many options, and so I begin to experiment without exactly knowing at every single step what is going to happen, but the great thing is that something interesting, quite organic and alive, always happens ;) , that's why even though every now and then I am tempted to sell my FS1R, expecially with the current second hand prices, I always change my mind at the end, this is a very unique machine you can obtain very unique sounds with, but it takes time and dedication, and I perfectly understand that it's not for everyone, you talk about "instant gratification", well they are words that do not apply at the FS1R :lol:

Is their any other stuff I can do using the V Synth as a controller? I used to use a wavestation and the joystick would morph between the 4 sounds in a performance patch - maybe i could use the time pad in the same way?
I have never tried to experiment with the time pad or the d beam, next time I will try, I will let you know ;)

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:24 pm

The main problem with the FS1r is the same as the main problem with the DX-range: algorithms. It'd be so much more flexible to just use operators and later on connect 'm to each other. Let alone tweaking stuff, rebuilding things, change the function/context of an operator. If you need to select a different algorithm, chances are big that your whole operator config up is ruined.

Personally, I haven't made many voices myself with the FS1r, instead I just made performances based on the 1400+ loose voices that are already there.

And yes, with the FS1r you'll be poking your parameters until your fingertips hurt, it's not the fastest interface. But I still consider that less of a problem compared to the fixed pre-fab algorithms.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:09 am

I've tried making patches and editing existing ones. The best way is with software editors either on a laptop or iPad. This one is good (what I use):

https://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/fs1r_e ... glish.html

and the visual look of this is cool (haven't tried it)

http://zeeedit.free.fr

And there is also an iPad app for the FS1R!!. I don't know why I haven't used it yet because it seems really awesome. In fact I think this is the best and most potent duo of FM programming potential we've ever seen:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C9235C119 ... 1191699FAF
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

stikygum wrote:
And there is also an <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.walmart.com/cp/Apple-iPad/1092747" rel="nofollow"><span>iPad</span></a> app for the FS1R!!. I don't know why I haven't used it yet because it seems really awesome. In fact I think this is the best and most potent duo of FM programming potential we've ever seen:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C9235C119 ... 1191699FAF
That's great, thank you!, I didn't know that there is an iPad editor...sorry for the stupid question but it's not clear to me how can I map and connect the FS1R to mi iPad :?: :roll:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm

It's nothing "crazier" than buying a ipad-midi cable. There are several types out there.

You know that there's lots of software synths and even specific MIDI keyboards made for ipad use? the iRig is a recent one, for instance. Both Moog and Arturia and others have ipad specific versions of their most popular VSTis like Minimoog V or Animoog. Waldorf has one called Nave that does full fledged wavetable synthesis + voice synthesis.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 pm

Bitexion wrote:It's nothing "crazier" than buying a ipad-midi cable. There are several types out there.

You know that there's lots of software synths and even specific MIDI keyboards made for <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.walmart.com/cp/Apple-iPad/1092747" rel="nofollow"><span>ipad</span></a> use? the iRig is a recent one, for instance. Both Moog and Arturia and others have <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.walmart.com/cp/Apple-iPad/1092747" rel="nofollow"><span>ipad</span></a> specific versions of their most popular VSTis like Minimoog V or Animoog. Waldorf has one called Nave that does full fledged wavetable synthesis + voice synthesis.
Thank you for the info!...actually the iPad is not mine, it is of my son, so I didn't know anything of what you are saying, but now I know ;) and tomorrow the iPad will become mine :D :lol:

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:13 am

I may be wrong but there is some fun to also be had in the formant sequencing too, which is a huge pain and really, really next to impossible to fully implement by entering it all in manually, so FSeq may also come in very handy and if I recall correctly there is no iPad or Mac versions nor any other software for editing that feature on FS1R. FSeq almost don't even work with what it supposed to work with, but just something to note before you make a family member cry.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:40 am

I was quite surprised myself when I searched the ipad store for VST instruments. There is a pretty big bunch from well known manufacturers like Moog, Arturia, Waldorf, Korg, very affordable too. Several modular "systems" too, but none are free. I tried a modular system that lets you download it for free, but only have access to a few modules and can pay for the rest. It's not a big amount anyway. There is also programs like Tabletop that let you combine lots of units like drum machine, sampler, synths, you can even "import" other synths into it and create a self sustained "studio".

It's fun to noodle around on vst's on the ipad screen sometimes. Connect the headphones output to your mixer and you can record it just like any other synth too. And the aforementioned ipad-midi cable will give it a life inside your DAW too.

I definately recommend Moog's Animoog and the Waldorf Nave. Animoog is a bit unusual in that it doesn't mimic any old synthesizer, but there is an Arturia Minimoog V too.

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 am

There's an amazing web-based Flash editor for format sequences!

You can convert wave files to FSeqs, edit them then create a sysex file to upload to the fs1r:

http://zacharcher.com/lab/fseq/fseq-flash.html

Press spacebar to play a wave
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm

That looks really cool... if it works. And since web-based/flash it should be doable with ipads/macs I will have to try it out tonight. Thanks sneakthief! - 'Making children cry for their ipads back from their dads since 2016'©