D-50 Sound Track Patch on Super JV?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: D-50 Sound Track Patch on Super JV?

Post by desmond » Tue May 24, 2016 6:12 pm

So, just rigged up my stuff to make sure the config works (have to run the Roland XV Editor, or SoundDiver, in a Snow Leopard VM on my MBP, and connect the various MIDI stuff through that, but with audio coming back to the MBP) - and tweaked a few parameters to open up the lower tone:

Haven't done any comparisons, or got back into this in details yet.
But without comparing, this at least is broadly in character (from memory) to the D50 patch, before we really start to home in on the detail.

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu May 26, 2016 3:16 pm

It's been suggested than there is a JD-990 patch called "Soundnight 2" which is supposed to be a "very good copy" of the D-50 Soundtrack patch, though I can't verify it.

I'm not sure what the original source for this patch was, but it wasn't the factory presets in the 990. Is there anyone with a 990 that can check, and maybe record some audio examples of what the patch sounds like? (I have the sysex if need be.)

If it's close, then I could try to convert the patch to the XV format (using Don Solaris' JD -> XV conversion tips as a guide to parameter values)...

SirNick

Post by SirNick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:09 am

I have a D-550, JD-990, XV-3080, and NI Massive (hey, it would be nice..), so if there's something I can provide that would help, give me a shout. (Although I'll be traveling a bit in June, so throw your requests out there and I'll reply if I can.)

Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Post by Paolo Di Nicolantonio » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:15 am

I was contacted with a request to post a demo of the "SoundNight 2" JD-990 patch. It's actually the "SoundNight 1" patch (the "SoundNight 2" is a bit different and has some resonant synth / vox added).

Here's an audio demo of the SoundNight 1 patch (misspelled "SoundNigth <1>" in the bank):

Visit my synthesizer/music website
www.synthmania.com

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks for the audio demo, really helpful!

Nice patch, seems worthwhile to convert that over to the XV as use that as a starting point, or at least compare it to what I have. Tonally it seems right in the ballpark, although the envelopes are a bit softer in that patch compared to the D50 patch. But it's pretty good!

909kid is going to see if he can dig out the sysex for "SoundNigth <1>" and I'll have a look at converting it to the XV.

Do you know the original source for this patch, BTW?

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:54 am

SirNick wrote:I have a D-550, JD-990, XV-3080, and NI Massive (hey, it would be nice..), so if there's something I can provide that would help, give me a shout. (Although I'll be traveling a bit in June, so throw your requests out there and I'll reply if I can.)
That's be great - when I get back into the weeds on this I might ask for a few audio samples from the D550 (eg of tones soloed, different velocity and keyboard position settings, no FX etc) but it won't be right away, so no rush, and if you can't get to it, no problem.

Thanks chaps!

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:
Here's an audio demo of the SoundNight 1 patch (misspelled "SoundNigth <1>" in the bank):

Many thanks for this Paolo !!

The JD990 version does lack a little "oommphh", but its closer to the D50 original than the JV1080 version of "Soundtrack"

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm wondering if the "SOUNDNIGTH" patch comes from a JD800 patch, as I've seen reference to this elsewhere...

It seem's "Holophon's Soundtrack" JD800 bank (which should also load into the 990) has a bunch of "Soundtrack"-derived patches as well (don't know whether this is JX Soundtrack, D50 Soundtrack, or not related at all...)

Also, Stephane Pigeon "SoundPack 2" JD800 soundbank contains:
A-41 D-50 Soundtrack

SirNick

Post by SirNick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Just noticed the MT-32 has a Soundtrack patch as well. Similar, not exact. Unsurprisingly, the D-110 does too. I don't have the latter... yet. But, of course, Paolo does -- with demos, naturally. :-)

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 pm

SirNick wrote:Just noticed the MT-32 has a Soundtrack patch as well. Similar, not exact. Unsurprisingly, the D-110 does too.
Yes, they are just less good impressions of that patch on cheaper gear.
Kind of like all the Roland stuff of that era have a "Fantasia"-type patch variant as well - it was just part of the Roland signature sound through that time.

There seem to be quite a few JD800/990 banks of patches around - I might have a look at writing a conversion tool to convert them to the XV format...

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Ok, it seems "SoundNigth <1>" patch is in the JD-800 bank available online called "jose2.syx".

I'm assuming it's the same patch by the name, so I'll give that one a go... The bank also includes the "<2>" version as well.

If the one Paulo demos above is a modified version of this from the JD-800 patch using extra facilities on the JD-990, let me know... (It's always tricky working blind ie without the synths in question).

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Just did a quick first pass at manually mapping the SoundNigth 1 patch over to the XV - hasn't come out too bad, though some parameters need a little more tweaking and I haven't done the effects yet. But for a first pass it's ok and reasonably close to Paulo's demo. The main difference being that the JD uses a 0-99 value range on typical parameters, and the XV uses 0-127.

It isn't as close as I'd like to the D-50 patch yet - it's basically a two-tone fifths pad with a slight envelope filter sweep, so as said earlier, it's a bit more generic and less "special" to the D-50 patch. But still a useful exercise to do.

It has let me look at how the parameters from the JD map to the XV and it's reasonably straightforward, so a conversion tool seems like a good thing to have, as there are so many JD patches out there...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:48 pm

There is something about the digital filter of the D-50 that makes it go BEAAAAAAOW. This seems very hard to replicate on other synths.