Behringer Deep Mind 12

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Behringer Deep Mind 12

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Latest video

PS I think the previous thread on this got accidentally deleted when cleaning out the recent spambot spew
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Re: Behringer Deep Mind 12

Post by Broadwave » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:43 pm

It looks like Behringer are also considering a desktop unit.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12048757-post2894.html

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:16 pm

I could be interested in the desktop version, even though it all depends on how much it will cost :roll: :D

It sounds good on the videos even though looking at the DCOs section I can see only saw and square waves (with PWM), and no multimode filters, so from this perspective looks like it has a limited sonic palette, maybe I'm missing something since not everything is still "revealed" :D, and anyway if it will cost close to "nothning" (compared to its competitors) a lot of people will not care :lol:

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:05 am

HalloweenJack wrote:I can see only saw and square waves (with PWM), and no multimode filters, so from this perspective looks like it has a limited sonic palette
The designers have said there's a lot more under the hood (see those EDIT buttons in each section?). Much more will be accessible from the iPad editor too, so I wouldn't write it off just yet ;)

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Broadwave wrote: The designers have said there's a lot more under the hood (see those EDIT buttons in each section?). Much more will be accessible from the iPad editor too, so I wouldn't write it off just yet ;)
Uh, I didn't notice that, thank you for pointing out! :thumbsup:

I'm very curious about this synth, let's wait and see ;)

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:27 pm

I have to say, from all the examples I have heard (which isn't *that* much, so far) - it sounds really good...

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:43 am

I assume there will be some MIDI SysEx available, not everyone has an iThingy so it would be good if Beh could release the SysEx spec so we can write editors etc. I have asked B in the past for SysEx spec on their Feedback Destroyer, to meet with, no. Some basic parameters are in the manual but no dump info. Shame as the unit has a good EQ and the editor they do offer is Win98 and won't work on later OS.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:38 pm

It sounds good, but I don't believe it'll really capture the character of the Juno 106. Of course it'll have more toys to play with but personally I'd miss the 5 octaves on the Juno esp with 12 voice poly, and as we often find with these schemes, they sound better on paper than they often end up. It all comes down to tone, not power, after all.

Of course this is really it's own synth, and will make sounds a juno could never make. Jury is out, esp on reliability (and not after 30 years like the voice chips on the 106 ;) - I'm thinking after just 12 months if the fans clog up or die and it overheats and starts locking up! I mean putting a fan on a synth isn't always a sign of a great internal design is it? Perhaps they squeezed a little too much to fit all that into a small case, god knows why as I think it looks far too small and daft for such a supposed well spec'd synth.

Also for me personally on a 12 voice analog with multiple envs, it really should have proper seperate env controls for filter/amp etc not just one multi purpose set. That'll end up annoying a lot of people if they think they are going to get the 'juno' feel from it.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Maybe late in news, but where is the original post of the Berhinger synth?
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:42 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:Maybe late in news, but where is the original post of the Berhinger synth?
He said it was accidentally erased, because VSE is spam bait anymore. Can't get upset about it, since Meatball is pretty much the only active mod left.

I wish Uli would have more tact, and do what DSI does...

Announce the synth, for X amount, link to website.

It's clear by the participation on the forum that everyone sick of playing the games.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I wish Uli would have more tact, and do what DSI does...

Announce the synth, for X amount, link to website.

It's clear by the participation on the forum that everyone sick of playing the games.
Yup. It just seems like marketing departments take it as gospel truth that you have to do infuriatingly gradual "reveals" in order to build up interest when the reality is that nobody who is interested in this would be less interested if they just told people about it outright. I blame J.J. Abrams.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:45 pm

What I've come to realise about all these recent tantalising releases like this - where they are essentially only promoted on sites like Sonicstate.com and only discussed or noticed on forums like this is that - we ARE the market. The only market!

The likes of Reface and Boutique hinted at bigger, more general markets across vast swathes of young people. But - that hypothetical more general market doesn't really exist.

so it's down to us. We get to decide what's successful and what's not. All of these companies are targeting only us! I'm not seeing their teasers on in more mainstream sites - it's just on electronic / computer music dedicated sites that the teasers are placed, viewed and discussed.

With that being the case, two other issues arise: 1) if we're the market (and include everything from media music to EDM) - are there too many synthesizers for too small a market and are we going to see companies or product lines fold; and 2) if there aren't swathes of unsuspecting musicians buying the likes of Boutique, mini-key synths and so on - hopefully it will prod synth companies into more earnest development in the near future (Boutique technology with ample voices, a reface or Korg Odyssey with normal sized keys for starters....).

Overall, all of these teasers are aimed at us synth nerds, and its seems to me there isn't a market beyond media / electronic / EDM for synthesisers after all.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I blame J.J. Abrams.
:lol:

Broadwave

Post by Broadwave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:02 pm

There's a whole bunch of info at Amazona.de (via Google Translate) It's petty comprehensive and makes for interesting reading ;)

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 pm

The TC Electronics and Klark & Tekniks logos printed on the synth are so lame.
How come it doesnt say MIDAS too ?
It is all about sharing...