Thrift store find.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Thrift store find.

Post by Music Bird » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 pm

I found a Yamaha PSR-19 in a thrift store. It has 100 FM synth tones including dual and split sounds. It sounds like 2 operator. It has pretty good string settings (some sounds in my opinion actually sound better than the DX7 other than the E Piano and bass) and the tenor sax is pretty good for an FM synth. The rock guitar sounds like the synth stabs on Money for Nothing by Dire Straits (apparently a DX1). It has 9 voice polyphony and the Jazz organ makes a good lately bass sound, but played as chords.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Thrift store find.

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Yeah, most of the PSR series that I'm aware of were 2-op (OPL or OPL2, though I've got one that's OPLL) up until they started moving towards AWM or combo models (the PSR-48, for example, is a mix of FM and low-fi sampled sounds - rather like an SY-22 without vector capability or an effects section.) Fun stuff, and the closest I'm going to get to having an Adlib card in a keyboard (at least, until I get off my a*s and work on my planned homebrew OPL2 synthesizer keyboard.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

synthchaser

Post by synthchaser » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:08 am

I thought you were going to say a Minimoog Model D for $20 or something along those lines that would make me hate life.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 am

If I did I wouldn't have the amplifier needed to hear it.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:50 pm

I guess the days when someone could find a Jupiter-8 w/ case for $200 are long gone.

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Bitexion wrote:I guess the days when someone could find a Jupiter-8 w/ case for $200 are long gone.
I try to stay hopeful, but probably.

Case in point: Last week I pulled a fully functioning (save for 2 wiggly black keys) SK-1 out of the electronics bin at the town recycling center. :D I try to bring e-waste every couple of weeks in the hopes of exactly that sort of thing happening - plus, I put a word in with the people there - anything with keys, call me.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm

well this is what I used to do. If you find those vintage, toy/home keyboards cheap enough buy them then flip them, make profit, buy pro synth with said profits...

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:40 pm

I do the flipping with CDs and records now. Really good gear deals like the old days seem to be gone and there's so many more people looking for gear now. The record/CD racket seems tedious but adds up over months and years if you know what stuff is worth and what sells and what doesn't.

On topic, I got a PSS-560 the other day at a thrift shop for $20. Was my first synth as a kid. Nice to have one back.

Nothing wrong with having a few around the house. My son has a PSS-680 I found for $10 in his room and the kids have a Casio Rapman I found for $5. It's actually a lot of fun.

Just don't get weird about it though. I know some hoarders that have like hundreds of them because they want them all or dreaming theyll go up to crazy prices one day (no they won't).

There are only a handful that are really worth having. Do your research and keep a few around for fun.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40