Korg MS-20 mini / Korg Minilogue

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg MS-20 mini / Korg Minilogue

Postby A_Paranoid_Android » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm looking for a mini analog synth to play around with some patches. Does anyone have a preference of the 2?
A_Paranoid_Android

Re: Korg MS-20 mini / Korg Minilogue

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 pm

I admit I only know the Minilogue from online demos, but I'd say if polyphony, oscillator sync, and the delay effect aren't vital, I'd go with the MS-20. The Minilogue certainly looks like good value for money, but the MS-20 is only a bit more money, sounds better (to my ears, anyway,) and gives you some nice features (resonant, fully-controllable highpass filter!) and a nifty semi-modular routing panel for the control signals, which means you can come up with all kinds of crazy complex patches for it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Buy the Minilogue if you want a polyphonic synth, patch memory or a reasonable MIDI implementation.

Despite the claims about the MS20 patch panel for the most part it just makes up for leaving out switches found on other synths, it's not nearly as "crazy" as it looks.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:12 am

meatballfulton wrote:Despite the claims about the MS20 patch panel for the most part it just makes up for leaving out switches found on other synths, it's not nearly as "crazy" as it looks.

Yeah, but you sure feel cool workin' those patch cables!

Yes, it depends on what you want, of course--the two machines are apples and oranges.

But if you want a CLASSIC monosynth with well-loved tone, go for the MS-20. Yes, the patch bay is sort of a way of compensating for a lack of switchable routing, but it also has something the Minilogue does not have: a very fun and flexible External Signal Processor. It's more than just a way to route audio through the filter--you can control pitch and trigger envelopes and control much of the synth just with an external audio signal: a percussion track, another synth, a guitar, your voice, etc. Loads of fun and great for experimenting.

Also a totally gnarly filter which howls in self-oscillation, if that's your thing.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:26 am

A_Paranoid_Android wrote:I'm looking for a mini analog synth to play around with some patches. Does anyone have a preference of the 2?

Seeing as you say 'play around' I think the MS-20 might be the synth for you. Much more interactive cause you can't save patches, every knob is always exactly lined up with what it's doing.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby ian » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:00 am

What is wrong with having both ?
I own an MS 20 mini, it is great, and you can get them for around $400 US right now on eBay if you pay attention. The Minilogue, I have never played, but have seen about half a dozen videos on it and it looks great, too. A polysynth for under $500 US (?) .... So cool!

Poly or Mono ? Skip a few luxury item payments and get both.
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Postby clubbedtodeath » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I'll second the MS-20. As well as the great sound, as Stabs says it's very hands on.

Example: you have discrete octave pitch settings for both VCO 1 and 2, as well as a fine tune. It's very quick to set the right relative pitches for the oscillators.

The resonant HPF filter adds a lot too. It can be used as a crude EQ, but also when you push the resonance up, the MS-20 can really scream. The patchbay's good too. The only thing I'd say against the mini MS-20 though, is that I can just plug in standard 1/4" jacks; it's just a lot easier for connecting with other equipment.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby zaphod betamax » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:11 pm

MS20xx>Kenton USB>Minilogue. (used as poly module for MS20xx)
zaphod betamax

Return to Synth Shootouts