My new DX7 programming work

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rokk

My new DX7 programming work

Post by Rokk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I just completed another DX7 bank, this time more or less for Trance, EDM and Electronica. I wanted to see how far I can push DX7 and if it is capable of producing musical sounds for these genres. I'm very surprised and happy with the results! :)
Here's a taste of all 32 patches:

Peace,
Rokk

JeEA

Re: My new DX7 programming work

Post by JeEA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Pretty cool sounds :-)

Cheers

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:21 pm

JeEA wrote:Pretty cool sounds :-)

Cheers
Thanx!

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 pm

Great work! programming a Yamaha Dx synth is not an easy task, but with paciencia you could get some great and very unusual sounds.

I have a DX7 IIFD, DX9, DX11 and DX100, everyone of them has their strength and weakness, but IMHO the DX9 is the most rewarding in terms of programmability. In FM synthesis the are hundreads of parameters, so when you take off from a DX7 II two operators and the velocity and aftertouch parameters you leave a "very easy" FM synth.

I don't mess a lot with the DX7 parameters, just some basic things, I leave the presets alone and I have a software with hundreds of them and they sound marvelous.

The DX11 is not so easy to program (because the velocity parameters) and has only 8 voices of polyphony, but it is 8 parts multitimbral, and thats a lot of fun with a midi sequencer.

The DX100 is a pretty portable lightweight synth, easy to program, but it has only 8 voices of polyphony and the sound is not so Deep as on the DX9 (with 16 voices), I don't now why, but it is very different. The DX9 has a deeper sound, and I think it's a very underrated synth.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 pm

I really like your ambient patches a lot! I've watched those videos a few times. Do you know if they have worked with Dexed? I mean, it's sysex so it shouldn't be a problem, just curious because I'd like to pick them up from you.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:45 am

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:Great work! programming a Yamaha Dx synth is not an easy task, but with paciencia you could get some great and very unusual sounds.

I have a DX7 IIFD, DX9, DX11 and DX100, everyone of them has their strength and weakness, but IMHO the DX9 is the most rewarding in terms of programmability. In FM synthesis the are hundreads of parameters, so when you take off from a DX7 II two operators and the velocity and aftertouch parameters you leave a "very easy" FM synth.

I don't mess a lot with the DX7 parameters, just some basic things, I leave the presets alone and I have a software with hundreds of them and they sound marvelous.

The DX11 is not so easy to program (because the velocity parameters) and has only 8 voices of polyphony, but it is 8 parts multitimbral, and thats a lot of fun with a midi sequencer.

The DX100 is a pretty portable lightweight synth, easy to program, but it has only 8 voices of polyphony and the sound is not so Deep as on the DX9 (with 16 voices), I don't now why, but it is very different. The DX9 has a deeper sound, and I think it's a very underrated synth.
Yeah, 6OP FM is quite complex. Well, you don't have to use all the operators. Most of the time I don't. I simply select an algorithm that is appropriate for what I want to achieve and then start with only 2 or 3 operators and add more if necessary. 4OP synths seem fun and probably I'll get one in the future.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:47 am

forcedopinion wrote:I really like your ambient patches a lot! I've watched those videos a few times. Do you know if they have worked with Dexed? I mean, it's sysex so it shouldn't be a problem, just curious because I'd like to pick them up from you.
Yes, they work in Dexed. It's regular sysex, but users of Dexed have reported that they need to press the Load button with my patches. Why is it so, we don't know, but it works.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:54 am

mis psiquicios y yo wrote: IMHO the DX9 is the most rewarding in terms of programmability. In FM synthesis the are hundreads of parameters, so when you take off from a DX7 II two operators and the velocity and aftertouch parameters you leave a "very easy" FM synth.

The DX9 has a deeper sound, and I think it's a very underrated synth.
Wow, you're like the only person on Earth that thinks the DX9 is worth anything :)
The DX9 is sort of like the deformed twin brother of the DX7 that never goes out in public. The 2nd-generation 4-op FM synths (DX 21/27/100) had more bite and attitude to them. The DX9 is just kind of sad.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:18 am

elsongs wrote:
mis psiquicios y yo wrote: IMHO the DX9 is the most rewarding in terms of programmability. In FM synthesis the are hundreads of parameters, so when you take off from a DX7 II two operators and the velocity and aftertouch parameters you leave a "very easy" FM synth.

Wow, you're like the only person on Earth that thinks the DX9 is worth anything :)
The DX9 is sort of like the deformed twin brother of the DX7 that never goes out in public. The 2nd-generation 4-op FM synths (DX 21/27/100) had more bite and attitude to them. The DX9 is just kind of sad.

Haha, yeah, maybe I am 8-) . I'll make a demo-video or something soon to prove it is not such a bad synth and h**l, it is not sad (that hurts man!) .

The problema with DX9, is that it si so big and brown and has a small brain, something like a dinosaur.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 am

The DX9 isn't really bad per se, it's just that it suffers in every respect compared to the DX7 - the fundamental sound is exactly the same, but the voice architecture is majorly cut-down, it doesn't have the high-quality keybed, and they're not even that much cheaper these days. I picked one up briefly as a novelty, and there just wasn't a single compelling reason to hang onto it that I could see.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:
elsongs wrote:

Haha, yeah, maybe I am 8-) . I'll make a demo-video or something soon to prove it is not such a bad synth and h**l, it is not sad (that hurts man!) .

The problema with DX9, is that it si so big and brown and has a small brain, something like a dinosaur.
For anyone interested, and for the sake of confrontation :) , here is a video of the mighty YAMAHA DX9
mis psiquicos y yo

groy

Post by groy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote: For anyone interested, and for the sake of confrontation :) , here is a video of the mighty YAMAHA DX9
dope!

RetroSynth

Post by RetroSynth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

I've found a way to program the DX7 with my BCR2000! There is a man (not me) that have created a preset for the BCR to control the DX7/TX7. On my side I've designed the corresponding overlay. here is what it looks like. I plan to product a bunch of them, if someone is interested, let me know at: dx.bcroverlay@gmail.com

A demo is available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riftdIiTOZk

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

RetroSynth wrote:I've found a way to program the DX7 with my BCR2000! There is a man (not me) that have created a preset for the BCR to control the DX7/TX7. On my side I've designed the corresponding overlay. here is what it looks like. I plan to product a bunch of them, if someone is interested, let me know at: dx.bcroverlay@gmail.com

A demo is available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riftdIiTOZk

Great! This is something I might consider one day. Thanx.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Well done. Excellent sounds.