"Wonderful Christmas Time" by Wings Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: "Wonderful Christmas Time" by Wings Synth?

Post by gcoudert » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 am

Bitexion wrote:Actually I've never heard this song. They don't tend to play Paul McCartney songs during xmas in Norway.
After reading this, I'm officially moving to Norway!
GC

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

Bitexion wrote:Actually I've never heard this song. They don't tend to play Paul McCartney songs during xmas in Norway.
It comes to no surprise that people in Norway rank among the happiest people in the world.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 pm

I've also carefully avoided clicking any of the youtube links in this thread.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 pm

"Wham - Last Christmas' is the only Christmas song worth talking about.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm

I heard they used a Roland JP-8000.
Do you even post on vse bro?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Repeat
Last edited by ninja6485 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
It comes to no surprise that people in Norway rank among the happiest people in the world.

Stephen
Agreed. I've never heard the song either. Why would you want to hear wings, or wham when you can just listen to In the Nightside Eclipse again?

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:34 am

I'm not as lucky as the rest of you. I have been listening to Wonderful Christmas Time over and over through headphones while I figure out how to play it. Looks like the Juno 60 can get close enough to that sound. Tried to see if the Prophet 5 could do it but there doesn't seem to be any way to modulate the VCA for the repeat effect. Things aren't going to get better, after I'm done with this one I have to learn Last Christmas by Wham, Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses, Winter Wonderland by The Eurythmics, Santa Baby by Madonna, and Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You by Billy Squier. At least I think I can pretty much re-use the Wonderful Christmas Time sound on Winter Wonderland and Last Christmas probably had a Juno 60 on the original recording.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:08 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
Agreed. I've never heard the song either. Why would you want to hear wings, or wham when you can just listen to In the Nightside Eclipse again?
I'll choose Emperor over Wham or Wings anytime. Unless we are talking Vader (Wings).

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 pm

So Norway does not suffer the McCartneys? Class. Yet another reason to move there.

Just to check - no infernal Wizzard either?

[youtube][/youtube]

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 am

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:11 am

Can anyone ID the synth or sampler or midis they used in this? Critical for a remix I'm doing right now

A friend sayd they used the Virus midis, but not sure.

Do you even post on vse bro?

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 am

I don't believe it ....

I was just reading this thread and "Wonderful Xmas Time" just came on the radio ...

I know the song but hadn't heard it in ages and ages ... and after having heard it again, I'm in no rush to hear it for another 20 years... it's complete toss.

The delay on the CS-80 just grates... it's the sort of vamping you'd hear when you're scratching for ideas ...aaarrgghh!!! Hate, hate, hate....

Not sure who posted it but yes, this apparently IS the same guy who wrote Lovely Rita, Eleanor Rigby & Golden Slumbers ... though apparently he also wrote a song about waterfalls and chasing polar bears which is equally dire.

FWIW my 3 Xmas picks are:
I Believe In Father Xmas - ELP
Maybe This Xmas - Ron Sexsmith
Last Xmas - Wham (just to lighten things up and show I'm not a 100% miserable sod)

Merry Xmas / Happy New Year everyone.... hope you finally find your JP8/Prophet 5/Mini Moog/Fairlight/Buchla Modular/CS-80 etc etc (delete as necessary), waiting for you under the tree.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 am

Bitexion wrote:
I'll choose Emperor over Wham or Wings anytime. Unless we are talking Vader (Wings).
The superior wings project, for sure!
Tekhed66 wrote:I don't believe it ....

I was just reading this thread and "Wonderful Xmas Time" just came on the radio ...

I know the song but hadn't heard it in ages and ages ... and after having heard it again, I'm in no rush to hear it for another 20 years... it's complete toss.

The delay on the CS-80 just grates... it's the sort of vamping you'd hear when you're scratching for ideas ...aaarrgghh!!! Hate, hate, hate....

Not sure who posted it but yes, this apparently IS the same guy who wrote Lovely Rita, Eleanor Rigby & Golden Slumbers ... though apparently he also wrote a song about waterfalls and chasing polar bears which is equally dire.

FWIW my 3 Xmas picks are:
I Believe In Father Xmas - ELP
Maybe This Xmas - Ron Sexsmith
Last Xmas - Wham (just to lighten things up and show I'm not a 100% miserable sod)

Merry Xmas / Happy New Year everyone.... hope you finally find your JP8/Prophet 5/Mini Moog/Fairlight/Buchla Modular/CS-80 etc etc (delete as necessary), waiting for you under the tree.
My top 3 Christmas songs are probably:

Storming Through Red Clouds and Holocaust Winds - Immortal (obviously referring to Santa's departure from. The north pole, lead by Rudolf)

Beyond the Great Vast Forest - Emperor (the song Santa listens to when he gets through handing out gifts in Pennsylvania)

And

Inn I Slottet fra Drommen - Burzum (obviously a song about Santa returning home to his castle of dreams at the north pole. I think the o should have a slash through it, but w/e).

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am

There is exactly one acceptable Xmas song:

Considering Wham, I still stand by what I wrote here.

That song makes me turn off the radio in under a second, really ;) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971