Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby Taxidriver » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi i have been looking for a new synth, and I have narrowed my search down to one of these synths. But I can't figure out if the sledge 2.0 actually has more to offer than the blowed. What do you guys think? The overall sound capabilities are very important to me, but price and interface does also play big role ofc.
:) i would really like to hear some experienced opinions on this.
Taxidriver
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:47 pm

It doesn't have the analogue filter emulation and only has two parts. On the other hand, it has *knobs*, so...
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby natrixgli » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Taxidriver wrote:Hi i have been looking for a new synth, and I have narrowed my search down to one of these synths. But I can't figure out if the sledge 2.0 actually has more to offer than the blowed. What do you guys think? The overall sound capabilities are very important to me, but price and interface does also play big role ofc.
:) i would really like to hear some experienced opinions on this.



I've had both, I like the Sledge better. I just can't get over the form factor.

The Sledge also has some weird quirks, like some LFO depth parameters will do nothing from 0-50% then all of a sudden get really deep at 51%. But in a completely unscientific not-side-by-side comparison it seems a bit "tougher" sound-wise, and it's way more fun to play with. I think the FX sound better than those on the Blofeld.

But damn is it ugly! And the connectors on the side is a bit annoying. And it doesn't fit in a lot of cases. And it's yellow. So very yellow.
User avatar
natrixgli
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: Beer City, Wisconsin USA, Earth.
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby zaphod betamax » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm

via cc it has BYPASS, Notch +, Notch -, Comb +, Comb -, PPG Filter.

Ashe37 wrote:It doesn't have the analogue filter emulation and only has two parts. On the other hand, it has *knobs*, so...
zaphod betamax
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 am

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 pm

iirc i even checked and it wasn't documented.
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby abruzzi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

Ashe37 wrote:iirc i even checked and it wasn't documented.


Yeah, definitely not documented, but some people discovered that if you send it the blofeld SYSEX to change to the PPG filter, it will actually change to the PPG filter.
abruzzi
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 am

neat, too bad you can't just use it.
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Studiologic sledge 2.0 vs blofeld?

Postby zaphod betamax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 pm

No difference between the way the LFO values work on a Blofeld (I have 4) and a Sledge.
+24 depth is a semitone, +35 is a fifth, +38 is an octave, +42 is two octaves, etc.
They map 1:1, it is not like there is a deadzone for 50% of the travel.


natrixgli wrote:
Taxidriver wrote:Hi i have been looking for a new synth, and I have narrowed my search down to one of these synths. But I can't figure out if the sledge 2.0 actually has more to offer than the blowed. What do you guys think? The overall sound capabilities are very important to me, but price and interface does also play big role ofc.
:) i would really like to hear some experienced opinions on this.



I've had both, I like the Sledge better. I just can't get over the form factor.

The Sledge also has some weird quirks, like some LFO depth parameters will do nothing from 0-50% then all of a sudden get really deep at 51%. But in a completely unscientific not-side-by-side comparison it seems a bit "tougher" sound-wise, and it's way more fun to play with. I think the FX sound better than those on the Blofeld.

But damn is it ugly! And the connectors on the side is a bit annoying. And it doesn't fit in a lot of cases. And it's yellow. So very yellow.
zaphod betamax
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:51 am


Return to Buyer's Guide

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests