Tats Is Leaving Korg ...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Tats Is Leaving Korg ...

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 am

An article on CDM today gives the details - this was news to me!

While I'm happy to hear he's going to continue on in an advisory role with Korg, I do wonder what his new venture will be.

http://cdm.link/2017/02/visionary-tatsu ... ge-legacy/
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Tats Is Leaving Korg ...

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

I never thought engineers building synths would become famous amongst the userbase.

I hope Tats comes up with something that has full size keys, an onboard power supply, standard CC assignments and support for a sustain pedal :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Now that my massive man-crush is stepping down from Korg, does it mean goodbye to the Volca? (I like that he explained the name finally--makes sense)

The two most recent modules are pretty cool. My wife bought me the FM and the Kick this year and they're both great. I hope there's someone to carry the torch of his product lines, and maybe create a fuller-featured instrument. It seems like the analog experiment paid off, and had wide-ranging impact on the synth market. I just hope they don't abandon that experiment right when it's hitting its stride.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 am

meatballfulton wrote:I never thought engineers building synths would become famous amongst the userbase.
Said the famous synth-site engineer! :D
meatballfulton wrote:I hope Tats comes up with something that has full size keys, an onboard power supply, standard CC assignments and support for a sustain pedal :lol:
Actually, that would be pretty nice, wouldn't it? I wonder what he WILL be doing? He was kind of vague ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am

He's still on the advisory board AFAIK. So he's not gone away completely. However, he's going to not live in Japan - and taking on some other roles based from London (?) ...

I think he's done some amazing things at Korg - starting with that little monotron.

My biggest wish is that they remake the ARP 2600.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Which instrument did you think was his peak at Korg - Minilogue?

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm

ranzee wrote:He's still on the advisory board AFAIK. So he's not gone away completely. However, he's going to not live in Japan - and taking on some other roles based from London (?)...
The news I read states he's taking a position in Germany to do with music/education, but is still consulting with Korg.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Percivale wrote:Which instrument did you think was his peak at Korg - Minilogue?
Maybe Monologue, actually. Even though it is quite diminutive, it has features the Mini doesn't, if I'm not mistaken. Still thinking of getting one myself--I'm more tempted by it than by the Mini.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Hubaswift

Post by Hubaswift » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 am

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I'm kind of glad Tats is leaving. He made amazing products for musicians on a budget, but this meant they all had to have compromises, whether it be limited voices, minikeys, or lack of actual knobs, as much as I like my Volca beats. possibly now we will see something along the lines of a polysix or mono/poly reissue, or of course the 2600 everyone seems to want. Personally, if they were to remake the any of the PS 3100/3200/3300's I would go nuts. Or any more powerful polysynth with the Korg sound would be awesome too. They seem to have their feet firm in the ground with this budget synth stuff though.