Korg Polysix

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Korg Polysix

Postby Blach_poly » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 am

Hello,

I recently bought a Korg Polysix from a private seller. As most of you know, the battery tends to leak onto the control board. This is the case with the Polysix I purchased. Rather than attempting to remove the battery and clean the mess it left to salvage the board, I decided to purchase a reconditioned board, that is already equipped with the battery upgrade. I was under the impression that I would be able to easily swap out the board without the need to solder. Unfortunately, I overlooked the black cable that is soldered right new to the battery and connects to a board above.

Here are some photos of my board.

[img][IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/f22fjr.jpg[/img][/img]

Here is a photo of the one I purchased.

[img][IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/uc947.jpg[/img][/img]

As you can see from the photo, it looks like there's a silver strip that runs along the side where my cable is presently located. I am guessing this is probably because it was repaired from a battery leak. My question is... where exactly do I need to solver the cable, once I remove the old board and install the reconditioned one?

Thanks in advance!
Blach_poly

Re: Korg Polysix

Postby Pro5 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:16 am

That's an earthing cable, I've got two polysix and repaired the boards myself, ran them for a while with one totally disconnected (while testing in/out board etc). Just snip it off for now if you don't have an iron, you can put new wire on if/when you need it for the replacement board. You may need to solder it to a better bit of earth strip (the sliver strip on the board) if it won't 'take' or is damaged on the new board, and then possibly paint on some conductive silver or jumper it with more wire... but in the short term I wouldn't sweat it.

Do however tuck that wire away so it's end doesn't touch any live parts (wrap it and bag it up in insulation tape while working) it's "ok" to leave it disconnected, it'll work, but not ideal and may cause some issues or may not. good luck.
Currently using (rating/10): SH2(9.5), JX-3P(9), Prophet 6(9), JD-800(8.5), Crumar Performer(?)
Recently gone:Polysix(8), Prophet Rev2(6.5), Slim Phatty(7), JD-XA(7.5), Sub 37 (7), Juno 106(6.5), DX7 II-D(6), V-Synth(6.5)
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet 6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Postby Blach_poly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

Pro5,

I really want to thank you for taking the time to respond. I finally received the new CPU board and installed it. Thankfully, the Polysix is working! There are some issues with two patch buttons, but either than that, everything else works great. I bought the replacement tact switches, but I am weary about de-soldering and soldering the parts.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the cable. As long as it does not cause any issues being disconnected from the board, then I am happy. I taped it to the interior of the case so that it does not make contact with any of the other electronics inside. I may have the cable soldered back on, if I take it to a tech to replace the tact switches.

I'm just really happy to hear the Polysix up and running. I bought it for a reduced price due to the battery leaking onto the board. However, once I bought the replacement board, I was in pretty deep.

Thanks again for all your help. Glad to see that there are great members on this board to assist the newbies.

Be well.
Blach_poly

Postby Pro5 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Blach_poly wrote:Pro5,

I really want to thank you for taking the time to respond. I finally received the new CPU board and installed it. Thankfully, the Polysix is working! There are some issues with two patch buttons, but either than that, everything else works great. I bought the replacement tact switches, but I am weary about de-soldering and soldering the parts.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the cable. As long as it does not cause any issues being disconnected from the board, then I am happy. I taped it to the interior of the case so that it does not make contact with any of the other electronics inside. I may have the cable soldered back on, if I take it to a tech to replace the tact switches.

I'm just really happy to hear the Polysix up and running. I bought it for a reduced price due to the battery leaking onto the board. However, once I bought the replacement board, I was in pretty deep.

Thanks again for all your help. Glad to see that there are great members on this board to assist the newbies.

Be well.

No Problem!
Currently using (rating/10): SH2(9.5), JX-3P(9), Prophet 6(9), JD-800(8.5), Crumar Performer(?)
Recently gone:Polysix(8), Prophet Rev2(6.5), Slim Phatty(7), JD-XA(7.5), Sub 37 (7), Juno 106(6.5), DX7 II-D(6), V-Synth(6.5)
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet 6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods