noob's gear setup

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

noob's gear setup

Postby mdc333 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:03 am

hey guys! i've pretty much decided i'm buying novation ultranova as my first synth. it was a close tie between that and korg minilogue. anyway, i'm getting a korg sq-1 as well because it seems like a no-brainer. i already have edirol fa-101 soundcard with midi i/o
what i want to know is how would i go about connecting 1. sq-1 to send midi to both ableton and ultranova 2.ultranova to act as a controller for ableton AND receive midi messages from ableton. will the sequencer control both ableton and the synth at the same time and how can choose where the signal goes? :oops:
mdc333

Re: noob's gear setup

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:30 am

Slaving the SQ-1 to things is a bear, since it doesn't have midi in. I've had mixed experiences using it with the USB connection as well, and if you're sending a trigger from a drum machine or sequencer to sync it, make sure the tempo is playing for at least one bar before pressing play, or it will screw up the first bar and the pattern can end up playing a note behind the rest of the project. A volca with midi in synced to the sq1 might solve the slave issues, otherwise be prepared for the possibility of getting some grey hairs if you're using it as anything but the master clock.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Return to Buyer's Guide