Take On Me - Bass Tones In Synth's Chords?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
andreaSynth

Take On Me - Bass Tones In Synth's Chords?

Post by andreaSynth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello all!

Recently, I've been arranging "Take On Me" in MIDI format with the goal being to come as close to the original as possible. However, when arranging the synth part (The chords/background are what're getting me), I've run into a bit of a block. When isolating bass frequencies from the synth track in Audacity I've realized that certain parts of the song (especially in the chorus) contain low bass frequencies. Now, I believe the synth used for the chords was either a PPG Wave or a Juno 60- correct me if I'm wrong. My question is, how were these low frequencies implemented, and are they being played by hand, or are they simply added via some of the keyboard's settings?

For the isolated bass tones (D3 and below, in terms of frequency/pitch I believe), I've uploaded it here: https://my.mixtape.moe/ecysrp.wav
For the original recording: https://my.mixtape.moe/ecpbqu.wav

radek tymecki

Re: Take On Me - Bass Tones In Synth's Chords?

Post by radek tymecki » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 pm

bass is DX7. nothing more

and chords? use detuned pw (30%) waveforms and thats it

andreaSynth

Post by andreaSynth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Oh, I was talking about the low tones in the synth track, not the bass itself.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:44 am

Juno 60 with chorus on.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Sun May 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Those chords are a Juno 60 brass preset. It just has a filter envelope on the attack and decay for the wow effect. Afaik the song is mostly Juno 60, DX7 and PPG Wave (the lead is a Juno 60 organ with sub and chorus and PWM). The chords could be imitated in MIDI with a "Soft Brass" preset or "Synth Horn" or "Synth Brass 2". They could have layered the pads. If you're talking about the bell horns it's a PPG bell doubled with Juno brass.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.