Arturia KeyStep

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Arturia KeyStep

Post by thefonz003 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Looking for a MIDI controller with velocity and aftertouch and an arpeggiator. This one really impresses me from what I've seen but I have two questions:

1. Tempo control for sequencer and arpeggiator - I just see a knob that says "rate" but doesn't have numbers. Anyone know the tempo range?

2. Can the arp be latched?

Thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Arturia KeyStep

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm

I just read the manual for you.
2.2.1.4 Rate
Use the Rate knob to control the tempo of the sequence or arpeggio. The Tap button can also be used. The tempo can be set between 30-240 bpm (beats per minute).
The MIDI Control Center allows you to choose how the Rate knob responds when it is turned: either immediately (Jump mode) or after you pass through the current value (Pick-up mode).

3.3.6 Hold button
When the Hold button is lit you can lift your fingers off the keys and the arpeggio will keep playing. It will keep running until you play another note or chord, at which point the new note(s) will become a new arpeggio.
You may add as many as 32 notes to your arpeggio as long as you continue to hold down at least one key. The notes you play will be added to the arpeggio at the nearest time division increment.
The same rule applies with large arpeggios: once you release all of the keys the arpeggio you have constructed will continue to run until you play another note or chord.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

thefonz003
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths

Post by thefonz003 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you. Man, I wish that keyboard had a graphic display of the tempo, but I love everything else about it. Sorry to make you read the manual for me!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Now that manuals are all online, it's easy to find out how gear operates even if you can't get your hands on one to try.

Not having a tempo readout is a red flag for me if the device is going to be the clock master.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

thefonz003
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths

Post by thefonz003 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote: Not having a tempo readout is a red flag for me if the device is going to be the clock master.
Exactly. It's frustrating because I love everything else about it. It's so feature-rich, and I feel like a controller with the KeyStep's features AND a tempo readout will cost way more. I find it hard to believe already that the KeyStep is so cheap.