MIDI controller

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

MIDI controller

Post by thefonz003 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 am

Hey, I'm looking for a MIDI controller. The following features are essential:

- Velocity- and aftertouch-sensitive keyboard.
- Latchable arpeggiator with multiple modes (up, down, up/down, and random at the very least)
- Visual, numeric display of arpeg/seq tempo
- Pitch and mod wheels
- If the keyboard is a mini, it should have octave-changing buttons
- $200 or less

Other features (buttons, knobs, colored lights, sequencers) are nice but not absolutely necessary.

What stinks is that the Arturia KeyStep has all the essential features except for a digital tempo readout. I want to be able to know what tempo my arpeggiator is set to. Anyone who knows MIDI controllers better than I can feel free to chip in! :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: MIDI controller

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I just looked at what Sweetwater Sound sells for $200 or less. None of them met your criteria...there was one unit that had everything except the latching.

The Akai MPK225 does meet all your criteria, it's $250. It displays tapped tempos and you can set a specific tempo in every preset as well as a global menu.

As I mentioned in your other thread about the Arturia, I just went online and found this out in about five minutes.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Re: MIDI controller

Post by thefonz003 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:09 am

meatballfulton wrote:I just looked at what Sweetwater Sound sells for $200 or less. None of them met your criteria...there was one unit that had everything except the latching.

The Akai MPK225 does meet all your criteria, it's $250. It displays tapped tempos and you can set a specific tempo in every preset as well as a global menu.

As I mentioned in your other thread about the Arturia, I just went online and found this out in about five minutes.
Thank you. I'm salivating over the MPK225 and very close to buying one. :D