A passion for making musical instruments

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
quaymat321234

A passion for making musical instruments

Post by quaymat321234 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 pm

I used to spend ages creating sounds, then tweaking them on my SX2000, CS-01, Juno 6, but not so much these days.

The Triton, for example, takes an age to create a new sound, having to scroll backwards and forwards through the menus.

The desktop editors certainly make this process easier, but it means I have to clear a space in my set up to set my laptop down, as I rarely use it in conjunction with my synths.

I recently watched the excellent Moog documentary, filmed in 2004, in which Rik Wakeman said that there isn't a knob or a switch on the Moog that you don't use.

This set me thinking as to whether some unnecessary features are packed into some modern synths, at the expense of more external controls.

I know I would probably be more competent at creating sounds had I kept up with synths as they progressed, but I have been away from them for sometime and am learning the nuances of creating sounds from menus and desktop editors.

I also don't have as much time as I used too.

Just a thought! :D

Kind regards,
Qmat

DocDeF4U17
Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Re: A passion for making musical instruments

Post by DocDeF4U17 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:00 am

Check out the flute on this song:
https://soundcloud.com/deadlifecorps/aurora
If you make good music outside, animals will visit

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

There are plenty of modern synths with a knob or a switch for every parameter, and no menu diving. There are more that give you the main controls and then the more esoteric stuff under a menu. You should just try out a few and see what you like. If you like the Juno 6, you should check out DSI Mopho or Prophet 12, or Behringer Deep Mind.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Having lots of parameters to tweak requires lots of controls. And if 1:1-controls aren't possible, then you'll end up with menu diving or banking.

A MiniMoog has (if I counted correctly) 27 knobs and 15 switches. Now compare this to e.g. a Roland JD/JV/XV, and you can't miss the fact that the Roland simply has more parameters to tweak. Unless you want to end up with an interface that puts Godzilla to shame, you gotta have menu diving somewhere. So it's not entirely fair to compare those two groups.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes.