MIDI synth to reproduce classic vintage synths

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
tris72

MIDI synth to reproduce classic vintage synths

Post by tris72 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 am

Hi, I am almost new to synth world and I need an advice on which synthesizer best suits my needs.

I have a big collection of old computers (e.g. Commodore 64, Amiga, Apple II) and of musical keyboards that are meant to attach to those computers to turn them into synthesizers making also use of proprietary software.
Most of this keyboards and softwares are pre-MIDI, but some are MIDI compatible and this is where a synthesizer may help: I would use its MIDI Out capability to control the software on the computer, mainly to “compose” a piece of music.
The most interesting use would be its capability to reproduce vintage synthesizers’ sounds (e.g. Moog, ARP, Prophet) controlled by the computer via its MIDI In port.

So, my question is: which (hardware) synthesizer would you suggest me to buy in order to have MIDI In and Out compatibility and the availability of many vintage synthesizers’ sounds as presets/tones bank?

I was thinking of buying a Yamaha DX7-II or an Arturia but, please, share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Tris72

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Re: MIDI synth to reproduce classic vintage synths

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:09 am

What's your budget? If you like Moog, there's a lot from Moog itself (MM Voyager, Phatty, Model D) - if you're low on cash, Behringer is about to release MM clone. Then there's Dave Smith for Sequential Circuits (Prophets etc.). Also you have analog synths and VA emulations from Korg (MS series, ARP re-releases, MOSS), Yamaha (AN1x as Prophet 5 v. 3), Roland (JP, JD, JX). For small budget, Behringer has released their "Juno-on-steroids" Deep Mind 12, which seems to be rather good. Almost everything I mentioned is MIDI-equipped, too.

Bear in mind, that many of current workstation have pretty solid filters, that can emulate their analog counterparts.

PS.: You'll have hard time emulating analog synthesizers on a DX.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 am

Roland JV-1080 module or keyboard equivalent (XP-80) but only with the Vintage Synth card.
GC

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 pm

tris72 wrote:a synthesizer may help: I would use its MIDI Out capability to control the software on the computer, mainly to “compose” a piece of music.
You don't need a synthesizer, any keyboard with a standard MIDI OUT jack (not just a USB connection) will work for that purpose. While many inexpensive controller keyboards today lack real MIDI jacks, some still do. Or buy any vintage synth, portable keyboard, organ or stage piano that's really cheap and has a MIDI OUT jack. It doesn't even matter if it makes sound any more as long as the MIDI functions still work.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.