Getting a Casio CZ5000 - hit me up on all the goodness!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: Getting a Casio CZ5000 - hit me up on all the goodness!

Post by desmond » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:23 am

gmeredith wrote:So it sounds like the CZ-1 is more like my VZ10M, which arranges things that way. Was the CZ-1 later than the CZ5000?
Yes, the CZ1 is the pinnacle of the CZ series (and the end of the line), and was the first and only CZ with velocity and aftertouch response.

K-man
Gear: Alesis Micron - Casio CZ1000 - Kawai K4 - Korg DS8

Post by K-man » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 am

desmond wrote:
gmeredith wrote:So it sounds like the CZ-1 is more like my VZ10M, which arranges things that way. Was the CZ-1 later than the CZ5000?
Yes, the CZ1 is the pinnacle of the CZ series (and the end of the line), and was the first and only CZ with velocity and aftertouch response.

CZ-1 is the most advanced and complete of the CZ series, but not the best sounding.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Very similar, although the VZ has more options with splits and layers, it's in 4 rather than 2. So you can have a keyboard split of two layered sounds, or have a layer of 4, plus you can delay the start of each one too. Much fun. But you already knew that :) CZ has no delay. On the keyboard version (the VZ-1) it trasmits all of those on different MIDI channels, if you want. Sucks as a controller though, because the polyphony limitation is transmitted over MIDI! I think they did this because it has overflow, i.e. you can add VZs together for more polyphony. Never tried it.

Not sure about the timeline. IIRC, CZ-3000, 5000 and 1 were released in the same year? Not sure, would have to check. But as desmond said, CZ-1 is the pinnacle of the CZ line.

K-man wrote:CZ-1 is the most advanced and complete of the CZ series, but not the best sounding.
Nope, not true. I've done the tests. You can hear in my sample set recorded from both a CZ-5000 and a CZ-1, and there is no difference. Both machines were calibrated to factory spec using the service manual. The typical fault, as I've said before, is the DAC offset. Easy to fix and gets your CZ back to sounding as it should.

You can't compare two synths until you know both have been properly calibrated. The audio path in all CZs is identical apart from the chorus circuit.

PS the only reason I sampled a CZ-5000 is because I had sold the CZ-1 and found some more great sounding patches to sample. IIRC I have a CZ string patch sampled both from the CZ-1 and the CZ-5000, if that's the case I'll post comparison here as proof that your claim is incorrect.