Emax Slider Pots

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Emax Slider Pots

Postby sandwich » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know what the values of the volume and data slider pots are in an Emax 1? Also can new ones be found anywhere in the UK?

Thanks
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby Rasputin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:51 pm

10K ohm linear (aka type B) with 45mm travel for both, I believe.

Physical size: 60mm x 9mm x 6.5mm
Rasputin
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby sandwich » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Rasputin wrote:10K ohm linear (aka type B) with 45mm travel for both, I believe.

Physical size: 60mm x 9mm x 6.5mm


Thanks for this info Rasputin :)
Are these something that can be bought new would you know? Just wondering as the Emax isn't as ancient as some vintage analogues, so maybe new ones would go in?

Cheers
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby Rasputin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:05 pm

sandwich wrote:Are these something that can be bought new would you know? Just wondering as the Emax isn't as ancient as some vintage analogues, so maybe new ones would go in?


Yes. I'm more familiar with U.S. vendors, but they can definitely be purchased new. They aren't obsolete or specialty parts at all -- they aren't even synthesizer specific.

See if you can find Bourns PTA4543-2010CIB103 slider pots. If you were from Texas or somewhere in North America then I'd say Mouser or even Syntaur, but I'm sure there's a Bourns dealer somewhere close to you, just don't know specifically where. I'm pretty sure that part will fit and they're not expensive at all; shipping will cost more than the parts, very likely.

Maybe this?
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... ND/3781197
Rasputin
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby hollandturbine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:26 pm

You should be able to find a replacement but you might also be able to clean it up and get it working like new again, this often requires de-soldering and disassembling the pot though because what often happens is debris gets stuck under the tines which can absorb moisture and eventually rust the tines to a point where the pot ceases to function at all, in which case you have to put on some magnifying glasses and flick the rust of the tines with some very fine sandpaper. It's the kind of problem that merely squirting contact cleaner into a pot ain't going to fix. Oh yeah and be sure to make a note of the orientation of both the pot and the tines in relation to the pots orientation.
User avatar
hollandturbine
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Behind you!!!

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby sandwich » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:03 am

Rasputin wrote:
sandwich wrote:Are these something that can be bought new would you know? Just wondering as the Emax isn't as ancient as some vintage analogues, so maybe new ones would go in?


Yes. I'm more familiar with U.S. vendors, but they can definitely be purchased new. They aren't obsolete or specialty parts at all -- they aren't even synthesizer specific.

See if you can find Bourns PTA4543-2010CIB103 slider pots. If you were from Texas or somewhere in North America then I'd say Mouser or even Syntaur, but I'm sure there's a Bourns dealer somewhere close to you, just don't know specifically where. I'm pretty sure that part will fit and they're not expensive at all; shipping will cost more than the parts, very likely.

Maybe this?
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... ND/3781197


Wow that looks spot on! Thanks again for your great help, very much appreciated :)
Cheers
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby sandwich » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:07 am

hollandturbine wrote:You should be able to find a replacement but you might also be able to clean it up and get it working like new again, this often requires de-soldering and disassembling the pot though because what often happens is debris gets stuck under the tines which can absorb moisture and eventually rust the tines to a point where the pot ceases to function at all, in which case you have to put on some magnifying glasses and flick the rust of the tines with some very fine sandpaper. It's the kind of problem that merely squirting contact cleaner into a pot ain't going to fix. Oh yeah and be sure to make a note of the orientation of both the pot and the tines in relation to the pots orientation.


Thanks for this, I have done some before that were in a pretty bad way in an old analogue monosynth. It worked out well but don't really fancy doing it again if I can just get new ones, it's a tedious messy job :lol:

Regards
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Emax Slider Pots

Postby GooGoo » Sun May 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Have you tried these DIGIKEYS ones yet? Thinking of changing mine too. Thanks.
GooGoo
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: UK


Return to Samplers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests