Juno 60-Like Arpeggio on a 106?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Juno 60-Like Arpeggio on a 106?

Postby Rumbler101 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi,

Is there any box out there that will do an arpeggio like the Juno 60? What I'm asking for is, to stick in a very powerful drum sound to act as a trigger into the box, which the sound then uses to drive the arpeggio, which then arpeggios the 106 via MIDI?

I'm kinda wanting to go for a "Can You Feel It" sound, which is how Mr. Fingers did the bassline to that song.

Like this:
https://youtu.be/fcfxwDkl0SA

Thanks.
Rumbler101

Re: Juno 60-Like Arpeggio on a 106?

Postby Z » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:20 pm

The Juno 106 does not have a built-in arpeggiator. You would either need to use an external MIDI synth with arpeggiator or a dedicated MIDI arpeggiator to trigger the 106's sounds.

OR, you can buy and install the Kiwi Electronics' Kiwi106 upgrade which adds an arpeggiator, step sequencer, 2nd LFO, 2nd EG, more patch memory and more to your Juno 106.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Rumbler101 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Z wrote:The Juno 106 does not have a built-in arpeggiator. You would either need to use an external MIDI synth with arpeggiator or a dedicated MIDI arpeggiator to trigger the 106's sounds.

OR, you can buy and install the Kiwi Electronics' Kiwi106 upgrade which adds an arpeggiator, step sequencer, 2nd LFO, 2nd EG, more patch memory and more to your Juno 106.

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah for sure, but I mean a sequencer that has the "Arpeggiator Clock In" on the Juno 60 feature, is there any way to get that, whether that be with the "Kiwi106" or an external box? Just a trigger to drive along the arpeggiator, whilst then arpeggiating the 106 via MIDI?
Rumbler101

Postby Z » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 pm

The Kiwi106's arpeggiator and step sequencer will sync to external MIDI clock.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Rumbler101 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Right ok. But there's nothing out there that can do MIDI + the "Arpeggio Clock In" from the 60 on the 106?
Rumbler101

Postby Z » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 am

Not sure I know what you're asking.

The Akai AX60 has both MIDI and arpeggiator clock input. The AX60's arpeggiator will not clock to MIDI, but will clock to a +5V trigger signal from a drum machine.

What exactly are you trying to do and why can't you just do it via MIDI?
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Rumbler101 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864fhWrrnFA

I wanna do this on a 106 but I would have to have an external MIDI box with a pulse trigger driving the arpeggiator forward, if there's something that even exists.

I have been in-touch with some people, and if I get an "Arpie" and install this onto it:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk1 ... for-arpie/

It should work. However, I'm not entirely sure if it will work. What do you reckon?

Thanks.
Rumbler101

Postby Z » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 pm

OK, I see. You want to use a pulse trigger to advance the each step of an arpeggio at a specified rhythm instead of the arpeggio playing eighth or sixteenth notes. That will not be possible to do with a Juno 106 as factory stock or with Kiwi106.

The Akai AX60 is the only synth I can think of that has MIDI and whose arpeggiator is triggered via external trigger pulse.

The best suggestion I have, is to find a MIDI keyboard with a programmable arpeggiator (able to program a rhythm rather than straight eighth or sixteenth notes) or a MIDI arpeggiator that does what I just described. I know my Roland Fantom X6 allows the user to program arpeggio patterns (basically 1-4 measure sequences that can be transposed). You could probably even do it with a MiniBrute SE's step sequencer.

That Arpie kit looks like it might do the trick, but you'd also need to buy and install that sync tab to advance the steps via trigger pulse.

Of course, you could just use a pre-MIDI monosynth like the SH-101 or ProOne. Looks like even the new Roland SH-01A has external clock input.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Rumbler101 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:11 am

Yeah that's what I'm after, a pulse trigger driving the arpeggiator forward.

I did message the creator of the "synctab," but I'm still expecting a response back... if he says it'll work I will buy that and install it with the "Arpie."

I will let you know how that goes... if I remember :D. I was a bit gutted when I bought the 106, not because it's not an amazing synth that's at a great value, but because there's no kick-ass arpeggiator that can get a Mr. Fingers bassline; hopefully, now I can!

Thanks.
Rumbler101

Return to HELP!