Help Identyying synth used on childrens album

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Help Identyying synth used on childrens album

Postby harryjacoby » Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 am

Hello synth enthusiasts
I have been a fan since childhood of a video series called Baby Einstein. Lately I have been trying to find the synths used in the series. I'm guessing they used the Roland JV/XP series. Here is the soundtrack for one of their videos called Baby Mozart. It was made in 1998. Please help me identify what synth was used in this.http://dataup.sdasofia.org/MUSIC/Music- ... le%20Ears/
harryjacoby

Re: Help Identyying synth used on childrens album

Postby madtheory » Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 am

It's Yamaha FM with layers and chorussing, so I would think it's a DX-7II or TX816.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby harryjacoby » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm

madtheory wrote:It's Yamaha FM with layers and chorussing, so I would think it's a DX-7II or TX816.

I am part of a Baby Einstein fandom and we have made our guesses. Did you reconize any patches from these synths?:
Fairlight CMI,
Korg X5DR,
Alesis QS8
Roland SC-55
Roland JV/XP series
EMU Proteus series
harryjacoby

Postby madtheory » Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Only listened to tracks 1 to 5, those are all DX7II. I did hear a flute in there that's possibly EMU Proteus.

The rest of the tracks are largely EMU Proteus series IMO- the characteristic strings, pianos and woodwinds. Some of the percussion sounds are possibly Roland JD or JV, but could equally be the EMU. Could not be XP as that was built subsequent to the production of this music. But people will say XP because a lot of JD/ JV waves are still in the XP.

Reasonably sure I don't hear the characteristic hard compressed attack style of the Korg ROMplers in there, so I would guess no for any Korg. Not too familiar with Alesis QS so I cannot say.

I am 100% certain there's no Fairlight CMI I IIx or III. Am intimately familiar with that library, in my hobby work on porting it to Kontakt for personal use. There are not even the Fairlight sounds that were "borrowed" by Korg, Roland or Emu for their ROMplers.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby BEMaster14 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:33 am

madtheory wrote:Only listened to tracks 1 to 5, those are all DX7II. I did hear a flute in there that's possibly EMU Proteus.

The rest of the tracks are largely EMU Proteus series IMO- the characteristic strings, pianos and woodwinds. Some of the percussion sounds are possibly Roland JD or JV, but could equally be the EMU. Could not be XP as that was built subsequent to the production of this music. But people will say XP because a lot of JD/ JV waves are still in the XP.

Reasonably sure I don't hear the characteristic hard compressed attack style of the Korg ROMplers in there, so I would guess no for any Korg. Not too familiar with Alesis QS so I cannot say.

I am 100% certain there's no Fairlight CMI I IIx or III. Am intimately familiar with that library, in my hobby work on porting it to Kontakt for personal use. There are not even the Fairlight sounds that were "borrowed" by Korg, Roland or Emu for their ROMplers.

Interesting. As these were early tracks of the Baby Einstein Series, there would be more to come. This album does have the Korg AI2 Synthesis ROMplers. I myself have an X5DR and I sure know a lot of synth presets heard in the album; like GM Music Box, GM Harp (This is an early version of the album so it's the Pre-QS Harp Pluck) and etc. And sure it's a DX7? I have an Emulator for one and the EPs don't sound like the ones in BM at all. But I get it because it's pretty hard to capture what EP sound belongs to what synth.
BEMaster14

Postby musictheorist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 am

I've contacted Bill Weisbach one time, he said his custom (DX7 Yamaha FM type) sound was from a Korg wavetable synth, then later on in 2000, he started using a Waldorf synth.

Its likely he tried to recreate the quality of what a FM electric piano is like.

And for the Harp Pluck that's difficult, maybe it's the Korg X5DR but filtered to reduce the reverb from the harp patch.

Also, for the sampled animal sounds in Mozart, Weisbach uses The Hollywood Edge's Premiere Edition Volume 1. (For a dog, cow, duck, cat, and a bird tweet.)

I recently discovered the Alesis Cool Vibes patch from the QS8, and it's just amazing.
musictheorist

Postby harryjacoby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 pm

musictheorist wrote:I've contacted Bill Weisbach one time, he said his custom (DX7 Yamaha FM type) sound was from a Korg wavetable synth, then later on in 2000, he started using a Waldorf synth.

Its likely he tried to recreate the quality of what a FM electric piano is like.

And for the Harp Pluck that's difficult, maybe it's the Korg X5DR but filtered to reduce the reverb from the harp patch.

Also, for the sampled animal sounds in Mozart, Weisbach uses The Hollywood Edge's Premiere Edition Volume 1. (For a dog, cow, duck, cat, and a bird tweet.)

I recently discovered the Alesis Cool Vibes patch from the QS8, and it's just amazing.

Can you take a pic of your email and post it here?
harryjacoby

Postby musictheorist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:09 am

harryjacoby wrote:
musictheorist wrote:I've contacted Bill Weisbach one time, he said his custom (DX7 Yamaha FM type) sound was from a Korg wavetable synth, then later on in 2000, he started using a Waldorf synth.

Can you take a pic of your email and post it here?

Sorry, I emailed it years ago and it is sadly deleted by mistake... but it is actually true. I emailed Mr. Weisbach himself.
musictheorist

Return to General Synthesizers